View Poll Results: Should the Congress pass special legislation in an effort to restore the feeding tube

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 21.05%
  • No

45 78.95%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Should Congress pass special legislation in the Schiavo right-to-die case?

I'm still up in the air on this one, but to Jim's comments on what's a "machine". My view of a machine is anything used to support ones life. If she can get food into her mouth and swallow then thats fine, but a tube is a machine.

I read that awhile ago she was being feed by mouth, have they tried since the tube has been removed?

Quote Originally Posted by grimmster
    I'm still up in the air on this one, but to Jim's comments on what's a "machine". My view of a machine is anything used to support ones life. If she can get food into her mouth and swallow then thats fine, but a tube is a machine.

I read that awhile ago she was being feed by mouth, have they tried since the tube has been removed?
    No one was allowed to even try.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball 2
    In that context it makes perfect sense but if you want to completely remove the frame of reference then yes they're a world apart.

I'm sure if you'd asked her in the moment she would have said no to being on a respirator but an enthusiastic "OH HELL YEAH!" for a feeding tube, right? I've made similar statements about being "let go" should I become like Terry and whether the wording specified EXACTLY what the conditions were for my passing I think it's understood that that isn't the existence I want to live. I think you can connect the dots on that one without getting all sensational about pacemakers and such.
    In my opinion? The statement reported to be made by her isnt what Id call a "clear" indication....certainly not as clear as its been reported....for me anyway. But then again I dont read abortion as being a "privacy"[right] issue either.
    Its a relaxed interpretation is all.

All acedemic at this point.

And now the case goes back to Atlanta. At this point is just plain wasteful.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/25/schiavo/index.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-25-2005 at 11:14 AM.

I havent been following what has happened, but if she dies, i will loose all respect that i have for the US government.

Im surprised even bush tried to so something to help her from dieing, cuz he loves to kill innocent people.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Well, this thread is pretty much done. Unless Jeb grows a spine and overrules the courts (which I would do in a heartbeat), Terri is pretty much scheduled to be executed.

The problem is that you can't just hijack the legal system whenever it doesn't produce the results you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball 2
    The problem is that you can't just hijack the legal system whenever it doesn't produce the results you want.
    Of course not. I lean toward the originalist point of view. The theory is there shouldnt really be any conflict between law and what the legislative branch[as representatives of people] has written.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...aw/interp.html

btw? Hows the little girl doing? Getting big?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-25-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    Im surprised even bush tried to so something to help her from dieing, cuz he loves to kill innocent people.

Yep, Bush loves to kill innocent people so much that he tortures and kills hundreds of thousands of his citizens and buries them in mass graves...no, wait a second, that sounds like another leader of a certain country...
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Terri Schiavo died 15 years ago. Fighting over her body is just sick and degrading.

The government should stay out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMan

Yep, Bush loves to kill innocent people so much that he tortures and kills hundreds of thousands of his citizens and buries them in mass graves...no, wait a second, that sounds like another leader of a certain country...
    Maybe he is referring to some of Bush other actions relating to euthanasia.

"It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

There's a poll being taken over at msnbc.com on whether the parents or husband should decide Terri's fate. So far, with about 35,000 votes in, the husband is favored at 71%.
    A few people have posted here citing that starving to death is a painful way to die. They would seem to be ignoring that Terri is in a hospice under a doctor's care and the doctor has the capability to prescribe a pain management regimen. Terri should feel no pain during this process.
    Last edited by Robert3; 03-25-2005 at 03:14 PM. Reason: to correct the venue
    What the genteel demand is something of themselves. What the vulgar demand is something of others.
    The true church is one's own heart.
    It has been my experience that those who proclaim the world is going to hell in a handbasket are the same ones who are leading the way there with their grip fixed firmly on the handle.
    Why can't you find god? Everyone knows he lives in a little black box.
    A carp who deals in red herrings is a traitor to his species.

Btw, according to one source, there are approximately 30,000 people in a PVS in the US. Have we now arrived at the point where the news media is going to be keeping tabs on each of them? And, what about the 21,000 children who die each day before reaching their first birthday? Will the media be seeking out pictures of people with red tape over their mouths protesting for those children?
    What the genteel demand is something of themselves. What the vulgar demand is something of others.
    The true church is one's own heart.
    It has been my experience that those who proclaim the world is going to hell in a handbasket are the same ones who are leading the way there with their grip fixed firmly on the handle.
    Why can't you find god? Everyone knows he lives in a little black box.
    A carp who deals in red herrings is a traitor to his species.

^^I dont think anyone really is questioning the right of a spouse...in most cases. With this particular case? I think some folks find the husbands position troubling....and perhaps he is conflicted. I think it just "seems"[for a variety of reasons] that his position is an act of self interest rather than his wifes clear expression. It also might "seem" to some folks that many of the decisions ignored information to the contrary...like only one side was considered[again perception]. A reasonable man cant deny the fact that a case like this could be "manufactured" by a self serving husband.
    I believe that is a concern for some folks. As I said earlier....wouldnt a reasonable man want to erase any doubt by allowing a fresh look at the facts of the case? People cant help but suspect a cover up or one sided deal when lawyers fight too hard[with judges] to not allow a review.
    Are people wrong to vocalize a suspicion?
    And Im talking what I think people are thinking Robert. May not be what I think.

How do we guard against the very real possibility of a malicious husband spouse? Or do we simply accept that possibility?....and let the death go without comment.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-25-2005 at 02:27 PM.

As Texas governor, George W. Bush signed a law that allows hospitals to pull the plug on critically ill patients despite family objections - t

Damn, and i thought bush acually did something good.

•••• him, they shouldnt interfere with stuff like that, this is a free country, the government has no right to pull the plug on someone without family consent.,

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by DHutson
    Maybe he is referring to some of Bush other actions relating to euthanasia.

Actually if you bothered to read the law he signed - it gave the families alternatives, including the court system, so it could be challenged for upto 10 days. It was amended in 2003 to where the hospitals have the final say (period), a fact you seem to ignore.

As per the "right to die", I hear about so much here - there is NONE, only Oregan recently passed such a law (by vote), however that is being reviewed by the US Supreme Court.

And for what Congress did, they can it is in the Constitution, in fact if they legislated a law that prohibited euthanasia, and the the President signed it, the courts would have to enforce such a law, and the courts (ANY of them) couldn't call it "Unconstitutional" because there is no Constitution basis to do so.