View Poll Results: Do you stand with me and support the death penalty?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I believe in punishment through compassion!

4 13.33%
  • Depends. Some cases yes, some no.

11 36.67%
  • Yes. 2000 volts through the varments!!!

13 43.33%
  • Undecided. This is not as simple an issue as you say.

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Death Penalty: For it, against it, what???

This topic is based on a news story from http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4304741/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.wdiv.com
    Catholic Bishops Push To Outlaw Death Penalty

POSTED: 4:34 pm EST March 21, 2005
    UPDATED: 5:02 pm EST March 21, 2005

The nation's Catholic bishops are stepping up their efforts against the death penalty.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has announced a new campaign that will include more lobbying and educational efforts. The group cites polls it commissioned showing weakening support among American parishioners for executions.

Washington's Cardinal Theodore McCarrick said the church "cannot teach that killing is wrong by killing."

The educational materials the bishops are using include claims that 117 Americans on death row have been exonerated since 1973. They said that shows the death penalty system is "deeply flawed."
    What do you think about the death penalty? Personally, I support it only in extreme cases. Like for example, that guy in Florida who kidnapped that 9 year old girl from her home who he sexually assaulted then killed, I support the death penalty fully for him.

It seems a lot of people are really concerned about the rights of outlaws who really give a rat's [*edit*] about your rights or the rights of your loved ones. If a person is really that concerned about their right to live then they should have respect for others rights to live (I know this statement will be used against me but I defend it ).

I see no benefit in jailing those who have committed unspeakable acts against the defenseless for decades just so we don't take their life. If they were so concerned about other's lives they wouldn't even be in that perdicament.

Now granted, there is a lot of proof that the death penalty has been unfairly used. There are many people that have been sentenced to death row that were innocent. This is why I say I support the death penalty only in extreme circumstances and not in every circumstance. Still, there comes a time and place where it makes no sense to be more concerned about the criminal than the victim.

Btw, many also argue that there is no proof that the death penalty actually deters crime. Well, there is no proof that punishment of any type deters crime. Maybe we should sit career child predators down and talk with them about how mean it is to sexually assault a 9 year old then kill her. Maybe if we give them a few pamplets on how much they hurt the family and communities of the victim, maybe they'll just stop on their own. You know, out of the kidness of their own heart.

I say give them 2000 volts!!!!!

What do you think?

Re: The Death Penalty: For it, against it, what???

Same deal here, I support it in such cases as you stated, and where murder is undeniable, ie witnessed, overwhelming evidence.

cook 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

WHoever wants to get rid of the death penality should go to hell.

If you kill someone, you should recieve the same punishment, end of story.

WIthout the death penality, i can go out, kill 6 people, then live the PERFECT FREE life in jail getting 3 meals a day, tennis courts, cable tv, balketball courts, swimming pools, and it does on.

That is ALL better than what i have right now.

It should also be electric chair, not no easy piece of crap lethal injection crap.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

I'll say it again. How can the libs be for murdering innocent babies and against executing convicted murderers? huh?

I think that lots of people should be killed, and for no particular reason. So yes, I'm for the death penalty.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Me go to hell for my beliefs? How about those who support a punishment which has put to death innocent people (and quite likely innocent children) should have to do that. As for this poll, the poll options really aren't suitable and they contain too much editorial for people to give a simple choice. We have had a multitude of threads on this topic recently. Why don't you guys just bump one of those so I don't have to successfully argue in yet another thread. As for tennis courts in a maximum security prison for a child killer...are you on something?

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    How about those who support a punishment which has put to death innocent people (and quite likely innocent children) should have to do that.
    I understand what you are saying and that is why I said I don't support the death penalty in every case. But in cases like John Evander Couey (Murder charge brought against man accused in slaying of girl) I can't believe you would prefer this piece of trash live off our tax money for decades. I truly believe you would support the death penalty against this guy if it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty.

I am going to look up these threads where you have "successfully" argued against the death penalty for guys like Couey, because I'm dying to know what reason we have not to execute him.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Me go to hell for my beliefs? How about those who support a punishment which has put to death innocent people (and quite likely innocent children) should have to do that. As for this poll, the poll options really aren't suitable and they contain too much editorial for people to give a simple choice. We have had a multitude of threads on this topic recently. Why don't you guys just bump one of those so I don't have to successfully argue in yet another thread. As for tennis courts in a maximum security prison for a child killer...are you on something?
    Let's see kill babies, kill someone because 7 yrs after the fact a husband remembers a wish.
    But, no let's not kill a psychopath.

FYI, you haven't successfully argued... well, maybe in your mind.

Crap...I voted wrong...I meant to vote for the second option.

Well, I'm gonna edit the poll to correct. Sry folks.

There's no simple answer to this, It should be a case by case thing, and once they are found guilty, the end should come shortly, say 2 years at the most, instead of wasting taxpayer dollars keeping scum alive. Maybe we could put them on an Island ,and charge for the privilege of hunting them down. NO GUNS, only basic weapons, like knives, swords ,etc. Children should be made to stay in prison, for a very long time, and trained for employment within the prison system. As for child molestors and pedophiles, it's the ARENA, where the parents and chosen relatives, have the opportunity to make the hunter, become the hunted. No molester gets out alive. Ther's definitely a keep him breathing for a week clause on that, we wouildn't want him dying to soon. Garden variety murderers, with a clean kill to thier credit, would only be subject to 25 to life , in BUBBAs cell. Lets just chop them all up and reclaim all the good parts. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

I think we should bring back the Roman Coliseum type thing and prisoners that would be on death row could fight to the death for our amusement. It could be like a choice thing. Sit on death row for like 20 years and get injected or fight off lions and child rapists in the arena of death!

Just a suggestion...
    Last edited by Bearded Frog; 03-22-2005 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog
    I think we should bring back the Roman Coliseum type thing and prisoners that would be on death row could fight to the death for our amusement. It could be like a choice thing. Sit on death row for like 20 years and get injected or fight off lions and child rapists in the arena of death!

Just a suggestion...
    good idea, BUT you need incentive, a bigger steak ,a better HD TV, those kinda things. The bigger the crime, the more points awarded. You could also sent them free in a jungle warefare type setting ,complete with VC and land mines snake traps etc. REALITY TV!! only $44.95, card subject to change, no refunds,even a little fun on the outside, odds on the contestents. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51
    good idea, BUT you need incentive, a bigger steak ,a better HD TV, those kinda things. The bigger the crime, the more points awarded. You could also sent them free in a jungle warefare type setting ,complete with VC and land mines snake traps etc. REALITY TV!! only $44.95, card subject to change, no refunds,even a little fun on the outside, odds on the contestents. BD51
    Jungle eviroment just breeds campers. Dont you play video games? You need a big open map like iceworld for this.

The nation's Catholic bishops are stepping up their efforts against the death penalty.
    I think we should execute priests who prey on children through sexual abuse.