View Poll Results: Do you stand with me and support the death penalty?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I believe in punishment through compassion!

4 13.33%
  • Depends. Some cases yes, some no.

11 36.67%
  • Yes. 2000 volts through the varments!!!

13 43.33%
  • Undecided. This is not as simple an issue as you say.

2 6.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Death Penalty: For it, against it, what???

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    How did you arrive at that "astute" bit of logic??? So, you agree the judicial isn't perfect since it is run by humans, but somehow humans are perfect enough to decide who lives and dies?

I don't follow...........
    Let me ask you a better question. Why do you want to protect the lives of those who would happily shove a gun down your throat and blow your brains out? What is your vested interest in keeping them alive? Please detail this so I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    'K-,

In case you haven't been paying attention, every case is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Btw, what do you suggest be done to people like Brian Nichols who you KNOW FOR A FACT killed atleast 3 people in cold blood? I say he's another prime candidate for the death penalty.

you guys realize im serious right?

I support it only in the extreme cases as well. That moron who shot up the Atlanta courthouse comes to mind. The thing I don't believe in is his right to have any appeals at all. They should just take him out in the courtyard and blow his brains out. Justice is done and the taxpayer is out no more than the cost of one well placed bullet . If they're looking for someone to pull the trigger I'll do it but I want free airfare and at least a somewhat decent motel to stay in for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    Let me ask you a better question. Why do you want to protect the lives of those who would happily shove a gun down your throat and blow your brains out? What is your vested interest in keeping them alive? Please detail this so I can understand.
    Fair enough. I simply do not believe the gov't, nor the courts, are just, moral, or ethical enough to decide who is fit to live and die.

I know wars are excepted, and certain gov'ts use assassinations as a tool of convenience, but that aside, killing a killer or rapist is no better than the act they committed.

I don't think are judicial system is too flawed to mete out proper justice, and so, my view is more one of protecting society from dangerous offenders, and enacting punitive measures, rather than making absolute moral judgements. Since prison qualifies as both protecting society and enacting a punitive measure, I see no reason for execution.

And of course, there is the remote chance that an innocent person could be executed. Given how many innocent ppl are wrongly convicted, I can imagine no greater travesty than executing an innocent man. It simply is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    And of course, there is the remote chance that an innocent person could be executed. Given how many innocent ppl are wrongly convicted, I can imagine no greater travesty than executing an innocent man. It simply is not worth it.
    What about a criminal executing an innocent child? I would never want an innocent person sent to death row, which I'm sure is atleast part of the reason people aren't executed immediately. People sit on death row for years.

However, there are cases where we know the culprit is guilty. For example, Brian Nichols. We know he is guilty of atleast 3 senseless and unprovoked murders. He deserves the death penalty, no if, and, or buts about it.

I'm not saying every case that an argument can be made for capital punishment should result in the death penalty. I'm saying in crimes that consist of unusual cruelty and murder should result in the death penalty. Especially when we know that there is no way in the world that the defendent is innocent.

I think we should execute priests who prey on children through sexual abuse.
    Heheh g1 dutch- the pot calling the kettle black- no?

Religons should stfu and preach what they "practice" and stay out of politics until it directly effcts their "religon". Last I checked- Christ said (Let him who is is w/o sin cast the first stone) and to my thinking Cathloics have thrown quite a few stones over the years.

Any more most religon(s) have become nothing short of moral dictatorships.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 03-24-2005 at 12:15 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.