View Poll Results: Death Penalty For Murderers Under 18?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Let 'em Fry!

12 30.00%
  • No: They're children.

8 20.00%
  • Yes: It depends on the situation.

16 40.00%
  • Other: Explain

4 10.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Death Penalty For Murderers Under 18?

Their reasoning isn't semantic. They are saying that anyone, no matter what age, who commits pre-meditated murder should be put to death. I just like pointing out that they are saying that children of any age would be included in this. I like pointing out the extremism in people's rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Their reasoning isn't semantic. They are saying that anyone, no matter what age, who commits pre-meditated murder should be put to death. I just like pointing out that they are saying that children of any age would be included in this. I like pointing out the extremism in people's rationale.
    Like I said though, capital punishment itself is wrong, because it fails to enact real justice. It is vengenance, and we are going to allow that, then we must accept "wild west style law".

It does NOT deter crime, it does not punish, it does not rehabilitate, it does not make things right, and it potentially could condemn an innocent person.........

And then ppl think that killing kids is acceptable? Why don't we discuss WHY they do, and HOW we stop that. Of course, no one cares, and is too damn lazy to do that. Unionized America.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Like I said though, capital punishment itself is wrong, because it fails to enact real justice. It is vengenance, and we are going to allow that, then we must accept "wild west style law".

It does NOT deter crime, it does not punish, it does not rehabilitate, it does not make things right, and it potentially could condemn an innocent person.........

And then ppl think that killing kids is acceptable? Why don't we discuss WHY they do, and HOW we stop that. Of course, no one cares, and is too damn lazy to do that. Unionized America.
    WTF is that closing remark supposed to mean?

I happen to completely agree with you on capital punishment.
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

CP takes away the waste of oxygen theese pukes are stealing from the rest of society that actually follows the laws. Vengeance can partially heal the wounds they give to society as a whole. I'm not saying we should go to the code of hammurabi (sp?) but, it was the conerstone of the earliest forms of law, and so is obviously deeply rooted in human nature. (If you disagree, why do you think people cheer outside of courthouses when they hear that someone was found guilty? How does someone going to jail count as compensation for those? Oh yeah, the compensation goes back to the whole human nature of wanting vengeance, Compensation in blood, for the most hanus of crimes.)

Rehabilitation is a waste of time and money, since a vast majority of crime in this country is done by repeat offenders, they obviously can't be rehabilitated if they show up in jail a second time for another felony. If they can't learn their lesson the first, second, third,fourth,fifth, sixth and seventh time, what makes you think they will on their eigth? (I'm a huge supporter of "2 strikes and your out")

What I find funny is that people who see giving CP to an 18yr old who thinks like a 14yr old is so much more "right" than giving a 17.5 yr old who thinks like a 20yr old. Rediculous
    Could someone point to the extremism in that? There is none. And 'K- hit the nail right on the head in part c.) if you can find me a freak of nature that at 3 years old can think like a 19yr old, that IS human, then we'll talk.
    Last edited by clement; 03-24-2005 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clement
    CP takes away the waste of oxygen theese pukes are stealing from the rest of society that actually follows the laws. Vengeance can partially heal the wounds they give to society as a whole. I'm not saying we should go to the code of hammurabi (sp?) but, it was the conerstone of the earliest forms of law, and so is obviously deeply rooted in human nature. (If you disagree, why do you think people cheer outside of courthouses when they hear that someone was found guilty? How does someone going to jail count as compensation for those? Oh yeah, the compensation goes back to the whole human nature of wanting vengeance, Compensation in blood, for the most hanus of crimes.)

Rehabilitation is a waste of time and money, since a vast majority of crime in this country is done by repeat offenders, they obviously can't be rehabilitated if they show up in jail a second time for another felony. If they can't learn their lesson the first, second, third,fourth,fifth, sixth and seventh time, what makes you think they will on their eigth? (I'm a huge supporter of "2 strikes and your out")

What I find funny is that people who see giving CP to an 18yr old who thinks like a 14yr old is so much more "right" than giving a 17.5 yr old who thinks like a 20yr old. Rediculous
    Could someone point to the extremism in that? There is none. And 'K- hit the nail right on the head in part c.) if you can find me a freak of nature that at 3 years old can think like a 19yr old, that IS human, then we'll talk.
    I find it so hypocritical of you and Nobody1, wanting to execute children, and yet somehow, you rush to the defense of Terri Schiavo.............her death is essentially an "execution" in priniciple..........you should be all for it.

Very hypocritical. Either live has value, or it does not. There is no other possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DHutson
    WTF is that closing remark supposed to mean?

I happen to completely agree with you on capital punishment.
    Well, it is not just the US, but in this context, we were talking about the US, so the comment fit. Just like any unionized environment is characterized by a great many ppl who don't give a shit about the company, or actually doing a good days work, I see many ppl in America the same way. They really don't give a shit about "doing good", simply what is in it for them, and damn the rest.

That is a generalization, so don't take it personally, but from what I've seen in the two current prevalent threads from American posters, I have no other conclusion to draw.

Well, it is not just the US, but in this context, we were talking about the US, so the comment fit. Just like any unionized environment is characterized by a great many ppl who don't give a shit about the company, or actually doing a good days work, I see many ppl in America the same way. They really don't give a shit about "doing good", simply what is in it for them, and damn the rest.

That is a generalization, so don't take it personally, but from what I've seen in the two current prevalent threads from American posters, I have no other conclusion to draw.
    Sorry but thats a big load of garbage to associate being Unionized or not into this topic.

BTW- There are a good many of us that share your views on capital punishment.
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

I find it so hypocritical of you and Nobody1, wanting to execute children, and yet somehow, you rush to the defense of Terri Schiavo.............her death is essentially an "execution" in priniciple..........you should be all for it.

Very hypocritical. Either live has value, or it does not. There is no other possibility.
    1.) Theese are not children we want executed, they may be under 18, but a 17.5yr old IS NOT A CHILD!

2.) Executing GUILTY people and killing INNOCENT people are 2 completly different things. (Hence why I am against abortion), Guilty people surrender their lives to the state for the length of the sentence, if the sentence is life- then the state can either hold them in jail until they die or bring that date up closer for them, if the crime was bad enough.

I find it so hypocritical of others, wanting to execute an innocent Terri Schiavo yet somehow, rush to the defense of a guilty 17.5yr old man - calling him a CHILD! I suggest you look elsewhere before calling someone hypocritical! Or is it that the guilty's lives have more value than the innocent?
    Last edited by clement; 03-25-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Actually, I disagree. I don't think everyone who commits pre-meditated murder should be put to death. I do, however, feel in instances of pre-meditated murder where there are extreme and cruel circumstances also present that yes, the criminal should be put to death. Brian Nichols should be put to death. He killed three innocent people inside a courtroom without being provoked. I do not believe that he should just be smacked on the hand and sent to a guidance counselor. Jeff Weise, if he just killed the 9 people but was captured before killing himself, would deserve the death penalty. I don't care that he was only 17. A bullet from a 17 year old can kill you just the same as a bullet from a 50 year old. Why is it because he was 17 we act like he couldn't really hurt anyone?

And Nuke, what country do you live in? I want to read up on the paradise you and your fellow countrymen have created.

Btw, I don't disagree with fixing society to make people less prone to committing extremely heinous crimes. But long term fixes usually take a long time before you see the results. I agree with employing long term solutions but not at the expense of short term fixes which are needed NOW! I do not believe the solution can be found by pitying the criminal who has no remorse for their extremely heinous crimes while ignoring the victims. Some people should just be put to death. Not for the purpose of revenge, not to get even or tit for tat, but because it is pratical. What redeeming value do you see for a Brian Nichols or Jeff Weiss? Because personally, I see none!

Btw, it's funny you say we want to kill kids so bad but you want to protect those who actually kill kids (Jeff Weiss). He didn't even give the kids he killed (five of them under 18, the ones YOU want to protect the most) a trial. He had no reason to kill any of them. He just shot randomly. And you can forgive him before me and I don't want to just randomly kill anyone. Can you see where I'm going?

Now, I wonder who is more concerned with the value of life? The 17 year old who wants to just randomly kill others under the age of 18, or the general population who just doesn't want scum housed like royalty for the duration of their life?

Either life has value, or it does not.
    Lassie for president!!!

Or is it that the guilty's lives have more value than the innocent?
    Seems to me, that's how they believe. A criminal is more free to kill a child in their belief system than the government. Jeff Weiss kills a couple of 14 and 15 year olds yet they don't blink an eye. However, if Weiss didn't kill himself and got sentenced to death they'd be infuriated. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm....
    Last edited by 'K-; 03-25-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Let the little sh!ts fry!

No it's not. Killing someone without exhausting their 5th and 14th Amendment rights cannot be done - Schaivo did NOT have this, whereas EVERYONE on deathrow DOES.

You can't compare the 2, Shaivo is being killed in a cruel and unusual manner -starved over a period of weeks, a death row convict gets a swift death.

Schaivo's only crime is she is handicapped, unable to fend for herself, unlike those on deathrow who are not, and have displayed their feeelings on how they value life by taking the lives of others.

Other. I am against the death penalty period.
    Probably for other reasons, but QFT
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae - J. Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Humans are for 60% water. The rest essentially are proteins
    FOLD, so one day we may understand them

Quote Originally Posted by DHutson
    Sorry but thats a big load of garbage to associate being Unionized or not into this topic.
    I said it was a generalization, and not to take it personally. Come and see where I work, and you'll know why I have that perception! That, and my dimming hope for humanity.

BTW- There are a good many of us that share your views on capital punishment.
    Yes, but on the other hand, most of "you" also supported Michael Schiavo being able to kill his wife.

I find "you" as hypocritical as those such as Nobody1 among others who oppose euthanasia, but support capital punishment.

Live either has value, or it doesn't. Most ppl, apparently, prefer judges to decide who is fit or not to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1
    No it's not. Killing someone without exhausting their 5th and 14th Amendment rights cannot be done - Schaivo did NOT have this, whereas EVERYONE on deathrow DOES.

You can't compare the 2, Shaivo is being killed in a cruel and unusual manner -starved over a period of weeks, a death row convict gets a swift death.

Schaivo's only crime is she is handicapped, unable to fend for herself, unlike those on deathrow who are not, and have displayed their feeelings on how they value life by taking the lives of others.
    You missed the point. You are applying human laws to a condition of whether man has the right to choose who lives and dies. Either you believe that decision rests with God, or you don't.

Since you take both cases depending on the issue, then obviously you believe that in some regards man (judges) are somehow better able to pass eternal judgement than God.

You can spin it all you want, but that is what it boils down to.

1.) Theese are not children we want executed, they may be under 18, but a 17.5yr old IS NOT A CHILD!

2.) Executing GUILTY people and killing INNOCENT people are 2 completly different things. (Hence why I am against abortion), Guilty people surrender their lives to the state for the length of the sentence, if the sentence is life- then the state can either hold them in jail until they die or bring that date up closer for them, if the crime was bad enough.

I find it so hypocritical of others, wanting to execute an innocent Terri Schiavo yet somehow, rush to the defense of a guilty 17.5yr old man - calling him a CHILD! I suggest you look elsewhere before calling someone hypocritical! Or is it that the guilty's lives have more value than the innocent?
    Perhaps you misunderstand............I don't support euthanasia, abortion, OR capital punishment. I am not being hypocritical in the least. I am being totally consistent with the right to life, and leaving such decisions out of the hand of judges.