Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Ist.ist bar

Quote Originally Posted by vick1000
    First of all, if you want to see what network activity is occuring simply open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and set the columns to view the activity you wish to monitor (view option).

Next, when you are cleaning up any spyware or viruses etc...power down your modem or dissconect from the network, so that no script can run and allow a new DL of whatever runs the script (wonderful windows scripting 'feature').

Lastly, take note of what installs and applications you have been running, especially compressed files, and check their size with known clean versions. This is only if you have installed third party apps that you DL from the internet, such as files from peer to peer servers or file hosting sites.

One more thing, you might want to be sure you have disabled all uneeded services ESPECIALLY INSTANT MESSENGER SERVICES. There are several guides available online to walk you through which services are and are not needed per your situation. I can almost assure you that you will never need the remote services, unless you need to make changes to your PC from a remote location.

Once you have plugged most of the holes in windows, things become much more managable in a security sense. Bottom line is a router or hardware firewall is the best investment security wise. Sure they can be a pain with some software and initial setup within a network can be 'involved', but if you go with namebrand routers the support is usually suficient.

Thanks for the reminder about disconnecting my modem - forgot about that!!

Most unnecessary services are off - big black viper fan...
    K7N2 Delta ILSR bios ver. 7.8
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    3x512mb ddr400 - corsair xms (dual channel)
    Wavemaster Case
    2XWD 36GB Raptor in raid-0
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Ooops!!

So, this is crazy, and I guess I should have noticed, but what was going on was this:

At some point, my Microsoft spyware utility quaranteened the ist.bar - must have happened in the middle of the night, and I had no idea it had done this - nor did it tell me. In the future, I'd better check. Anyway, because of the flashing light, I downloaded counterspy, and up came ist.bar, but as we've seen, it was a mystery 'cause there were no registry entries, etc.

Anyway, I wish counterspy would have said it found ist.bar as quaranteened by another program - instead, it said I had spyware. Go figure.

No that I deleteded the quaranteened files from the Microsoft utility, I'm good to go...
    Last edited by loopyloops; 04-15-2005 at 10:44 PM.
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Re: Ooops!!

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloops
    So, this is crazy, and I guess I should have noticed, but what was going on was this:

At some point, my Microsoft spyware utility quaranteened the ist.bar - must have happened in the middle of the night, and I had no idea it had done this - nor did it tell me. In the future, I'd better check. Anyway, because of the flashing light, I downloaded counterspy, and up came ist.bar, but as we've seen, it was a mystery 'cause there were no registry entries, etc.

Anyway, I wish counterspy would have said it found ist.bar as quaranteened by another program - instead, it said I had spyware. Go figure.

No that I deleteded the quaranteened files from the Microsoft utility, I'm good to go...
    Hopefully someone else can learn from my experience :-)
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Hopefully someone else can learn from my experience :-)
    Great job loopyloops

Marking resloved

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Great job loopyloops

Marking resloved

Ned
    Thanks - though I feel a bit silly!
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Thanks - though I feel a bit silly!
    Heck naw - if it saves someone else going throught the same trouble then it's gotta be a job well done

So bottom line is Microsoft Anti-Spyware app will take care of this little nasty for you

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Heck naw - if it saves someone else going throught the same trouble then it's gotta be a job well done

So bottom line is Microsoft Anti-Spyware app will take care of this little nasty for you

Ned
    Good point :-)
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Re: [Resolved] Ist.ist bar

So, I uninstalled Spysweeper and Counterspy, and now my comp. has come to a grinding halt after reboot. My CPU is at 100%, and I can't do anything!! I can't even get to sys. restore. I booted in diagnostic mode, and I was able to get to sys restore, but apperanty it erases your restore points!

What to do?
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

So, I uninstalled Spysweeper and Counterspy, and now my comp. has come to a grinding halt after reboot. My CPU is at 100%, and I can't do anything!! I can't even get to sys. restore. I booted in diagnostic mode, and I was able to get to sys restore, but apperanty it erases your restore points!

What to do?
    Well, I managed to reinstall counterspy - no easy task with a cpu at 100% (had to do a diagnostic startup and enable some services, etc.), and I'm back in action - but, why would uninstalling cs do that? I want to get rid of the program for now!!
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

Seems like they may have shared files, registry entries etc, since Microsoft bought the company that makes Counterspy. So uninstalling one will cause problems with the other ??
    Check out the thread here:
    http://castlecops.com/print-1-111858.html
    Last edited by CMB; 04-16-2005 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB
    Seems like they may have shared files, registry entries etc, since Microsoft bought the company that makes Counterspy. So uninstalling one will cause problems with the other ??
    Check out the thread here:
    http://castlecops.com/print-1-111858.html
    Thanks - interesting link.

Who are those people? They sound like CS folks but that's not the site.

Anyway, I wonder how I can get rid of Counterspy. Maybe I need to email them...
    Geforce FX 5950
    XP3000+
    Wavemaster Case
    Soundblaster Audigy 2

i had istbar and slotchbar. they are very hard to get rid of. basically what you do is 1) kill the process, 2) remove any istbar from anywhere on your PC, 3) remove it from the registry. And then you're all done. Don't reboot between any of those steps.

i don't remember exactly where in the registry, but you can google this and find out.

the scary thing is that stuff like ad-aware doesn't help you get rid of the problem. It just notifies you of them problem. you have to remove it manually.
    1 Windows XP
    AMD XP 2600+ on ECS KM400-M2, Aspire X-QPack (green bezel)
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB GDDR2 128-bit
    2x512 Kingston HyperX PC3200
    2x250g PATA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2 Windows XP [Nemesis 4.0]
    AMD 64 3400+ on BIOSTAR NF325-A7, Lian Li PC86
    HIS Radeon x1950 Pro
    2x1024 Corsair XMS PC3200
    1x80g Raptor, 1x250g PATA, 1x300g SATA, 1x500g SATA, 1x750g External HDD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not always as simple as that. I had a variation of ISTBar recently which I couldn't find complete instructions on removing. My (updated) AV software couldn't remove it and some files weren't detected at all. It became a case of listing the files. Googling everything I found, searching registry (and also cross-referencing correct entries). In the end I ended up deleting 8 files associated with the virus. Only 3 were found by AVG and only 6 were mentioned in Google searches (4 were malicious files).

http://www.ysbweb.com/uninstall.html

Go to this link and click on the "Active-x"
    I did and i newer see this shit "ist.ist bar" again.
    Ad aware, Spy bot S&D, and not even Giant Antispyware can remove this one.

I dont say that this will help you, but it realy did help me it is gone!!!!!!!
    And now i am happy and my comp. is clean.

That's from the IST homepage. IST is so malicious, how can we trust anything that comes from there? And going into add/remove programs (manual uninstall) is not the only thing you have to do. It gets in the registry and can reinstall intself. I have been reading about MPAA attacking BT sites, what about M$ attacking this IST crap? It would do the world a lot better good.
    1 Windows XP
    AMD XP 2600+ on ECS KM400-M2, Aspire X-QPack (green bezel)
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB GDDR2 128-bit
    2x512 Kingston HyperX PC3200
    2x250g PATA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2 Windows XP [Nemesis 4.0]
    AMD 64 3400+ on BIOSTAR NF325-A7, Lian Li PC86
    HIS Radeon x1950 Pro
    2x1024 Corsair XMS PC3200
    1x80g Raptor, 1x250g PATA, 1x300g SATA, 1x500g SATA, 1x750g External HDD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~