Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: [Linux] Compiling optimized SETI client using FFTW3

Ned, will you be updating your site with binaries for all architechtures?

Also, how do I check to see if those libs are in my system (w/o manually checking them via a file browser)
    *edit - nevermind I found the command*

Ok another question, since I have the file you posted (the compiled client), can I switch the client (after stopping the client first) in mid computing? I guess I am not understanding the process after this. I would LOVE to try this on my 2 Linux XP boxes (both machine have all dependencies checked and ready to go - just need a clear answer).
    Last edited by centered effect; 04-15-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Hi CE,

Yes, you can switch the client but I'd be tempted to not do it mid WU. Also, the included app_info.xml file must be placed in the same dir as the client.

What I would do is a quick test first. Make a new boinc directory and just copy your boinc client to it. Start the client, enter your account details and when it starts the benchmark, kill the client BEFORE it's able to finish (Ctrl-C). Copy my new seti client and app_info.xml file into the /projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu directory and restart the boinc client (that's the basic install procedure for a fresh install). Let it download a couple units and check it runs OK first. Also, make a backup of your old seti client in case it doesn't work for you so you can put it back if needed (you'd also need to delete the app_info.xml file).

Ned

I dloaded an AMD compiled Seti client, cant remember where though.
    And compiled Boinc as per your instructions.
    Been running it since last night, and it appears to be the same if not a tick faster then I was getting under XPee........

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D (Oskar Wu N4D623-2)
    Opteron 165 CCBBE 0616XPMW (318*9) 1.4 vcore
    Mushkin Redline 2x1gb PC4000@260hz (3-3-2-7-1t)
    EVGA 8800GTS SC 320mb
    ANTEC 550 Watt TP2
    2x WD 250gb Raid 0 16mb
    Creative X-Fi Platinum
    Lite-On DVD reader
    Lite-On 16x DVD burner

Ok it is running on both Linux machine - wow is it fast. Can you do anything for the AMD64 side?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by centered effect
    Ok it is running on both Linux machine - wow is it fast. Can you do anything for the AMD64 side?!?!?!
    Good eh

Sorry, no, as I don't have x86_64.

The next step is to definately have a go at compiling your own - that would give you the fastest client for your 64-bit platform

Ned

Ok then I will have to do compile it. Can I keep the Boinc client I am using or do I have to recompile my own?
    Last edited by centered effect; 04-16-2005 at 12:00 PM.

You can keep your boinc client you're currently using, BUT you do have to compile the boinc client as part of compiling the seti client as some of the boinc libraries are used in the seti app.

Hope that makes sense

Ned

Hey Guys

Been absorbed with traveling last week....
    Just read all the posts, now I am up to date again.

I could offer my x86_64 Seti client if there is an interest.
    It is running fine on my box with excellent speed.
    About 30% faster than the original Linux Seti client.
    It is well worth compiling it with FFTW moded source code!

No news on the P3 box maybe I will have the time to compile a new Seti client tomorrow...

Good night
    Chris

Thanks Ned, I have succesffuly compiled the Boinc and Seti client (odd it says i686 instead of x86-64), I think I will be doing that for my Duron box soon. I thought it would be hard but it is pretty easy!!

Chris, is you mentioned that earlier, I would of never had done the compile, but it is a learning process that is fun!

Let me see how the new clients work.

CE,

Are you running a 64-bit OS on your x86-64, or a standard 32-bit OS? Also, did you specify march=x64-64 in your CFLAGS?

Normally you see i686 if you've compiled on a 32-bit OS, and would only see x86-64 when using a 64-bit OS (I think). I see i686 reported on my 32-bit system no matter what architecture I specify (athlon-xp in my case). My guess is you have a 32-bit version of linux??

Ned

Yes I am running a 32 bit Linux (Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 non amd64 version) but I used the x86-64 flags during compile. During compile, it used the x86-64 flag (I noticed it during the make -k command).

There is a problem with the Via chip I am using and Linux AMD64, for some reason the video doesnt work when starting X, even using the vesa driver - I used Fedora 3 x86-64, Ubuntu AMD64, and Debian AMD64-port net-install, all install, none work on X. So it is back to 32 bit, until the driver issue is sorted out. Though the via driver is in some of the kernels, apparently using it, is not working. The source on Via's website is for the 2.4 kernel and the other drivers are for Xfree (Ubuntu and Fedora use Xorg).
    http://linuxcompatible.org/cdetail12157.html
    http://www.emmanuelebassi.net/docume...e6300#hw-video (states almost exactly my problem:
    quote:
    The Unichrome driver, as of the 17.01, has been included in the X.org package for Ubuntu Hoary. The K8M800 is recognized on X startup, but itís not yet fully supported, though; so far, the X server loads, but it does not find a suitable modeline, and the screen just blanks. As far as I know, the LCD handling of the K8M800 is yet to be ported from the CLE266 chipset codebase.)
    Last edited by centered effect; 04-16-2005 at 11:41 PM.

CE

You will not be able to use the advantages of the x86_64 architecture when runing a system with a 32bit kernel.

I am currently using the Fedora Core 3 x86_64 distribution. My hardware is a Nvidia based mainboard with a Nvidia Video card. I had to use the Nvidia closed source driver to make video work, since the PCI-E cards is not yet supported by xorg. If you want to run a 64bit Linux I would suggest to switch to a Nvidia based card, where you can download a working 64bit driver.

Let us know how your client works...
    And you are absolutely right compiling the client is fun....

Cheers
    Chris

Ya i know, I do not have an extra nvidia card to put in. I got an IGP motherboard to keep the cost down from me getting a graphics card....Guess I need to get a cheap one.

The client seems to be working fine, the first WU finished and is pending credit. Let me see if it validates...

Ok so Windows doesnt work so I took out the Geforce 4 and out it in the AMD64 system. Now I have a working Ubuntu AMD64 system and compiled the boinc and seti clients. If anyone wants to try it out tell me and I will try to email to you. (about 4MB)

Good stuff CE

Good news - I've solved the static build problem

I have just built a static athlon-xp client and have just started testing it on an old FC1 system - it's running it's first unit now and is totally static.

A guy named Metod on the seti forums who's been helping me must take the credit (his suggestion). Anyway, build the client as normal, and towards the end of the output you'll notice the line that actually builds the seti client from the object files, looking something like this:

Code:
    g++  main.o analyzeFuncs.o analyzeReport.o analyzePoT.o pulsefind.o gaussfit.o lcgamm.o malloc_a.o seti.o seti_header.o timecvt.o s_util.o version.o worker.o chirpfft.o spike.o progress.o ../db/schema_master_client.o ../db/sqlrow_client.o ../db/sqlblob.o ../db/xml_util.o -L. -looura -lfftw3f -lstdc++ -lz -lrt -lnsl -lm -ldl  -o setiathome_4.7_i686-pc-linux-gnu -L/usr/src/temp/boinc/lib -lboinc
    Notice none of your flags are passed on this line. I simply changed dir to the /client dir, deleted the client I'd just built (setiathome_4.7_i686-pc-linux-gnu) and re-issued the above command (cut & paste) but with -static (shown in red) and it rebuilt the client as static (2.6MB). Then I stripped the client to give a final client of 2.0MB:

Code:
    $ g++  -static main.o analyzeFuncs.o analyzeReport.o analyzePoT.o pulsefind.o gaussfit.o lcgamm.o malloc_a.o seti.o seti_header.o timecvt.o s_util.o version.o worker.o chirpfft.o spike.o progress.o ../db/schema_master_client.o ../db/sqlrow_client.o ../db/sqlblob.o ../db/xml_util.o -L. -looura -lfftw3f -lstdc++ -lz -lrt -lnsl -lm -ldl  -o setiathome_4.7_i686-pc-linux-gnu -L/usr/src/temp/boinc/lib -lboinc
    $ strip setiathome_4.7_i686-pc-linux-gnu
    $
    I've uploaded my static seti client build to here (an app_info.xml file is included). It's an Athlon XP build, and will only run on an Athlon XP.

Unfortunately I can't easily build for other architectures with the FFTW3 optimizations as I originally installed FFTW3 from source compiled with the -march=athlon-xp flag so I'm guessing that a static build for other architectures would fail due to that library originally being built for athlon-xp. I'd have to uninstall FFTW3 and reinstall compiling for something like i686 and then statically build clients for PIII, P4 etc. Perhaps now I've shown the way, others will build static clients for other architectures and make them available

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 04-18-2005 at 10:11 PM.