Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: [Linux] Compiling optimized SETI client using FFTW3

Awesome Ned!

But now I have a stupid question - what is the difference between static and non-static and which is better (if one is better)

A dynamic application uses shared libraries present on your system - the libraries can be shared between many apps. But if you try to run this app on another system, it will only work if that system has ALL the same library files installed and of the same versions that the app uses. This is normally OK if you're going from say FC3 to FC3, but if you're going from FC3 to an older FC2 or a completely different distro then the app will not run, complaining of mising library files.

Obviously this isn't a problem if you're only compiling apps for your own use, but if you want to share them with a wide audience, it won't work. The solution is to do what's known as a static build where the library files are actually compiled into your app at build time, thus solving the missing files errors. We were having trouble getting the static build to work properly - it wasn't building as truely static.

The down side of static builds is that the app is bigger (needing more memory) and normally very slightly slower.

Generally, stick to non-static builds. Unless you want to share your apps with other users, you don't need to worry about it

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 04-17-2005 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks for clearing that up with me.

Now a new question - is it normal for the AMD64 clients to run slower - much slower than the other clients?
    I saw this: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/foru...d.php?id=13504 and realized that i get almost similar results.

First of all, a word of thanks to both Ned and Chris for all the notes posted here in this forum, and others who have contributed to the thread to make this such a valuable source of information for newcomers to attempt to build/re-compile Boinc and Seti Clients.

I've gone through the notes and have attempted to compile both the Boinc client (4.19) as well as the FFTW3-patched SETI client (4.7) on the Fedora Core 3 standard installation (2.6.9-1.667)for my Athlon 64 3200. I'm up to the stage where it's looking for -lboinc library (which it has trouble finding) . Perhaps I should try to do the static build by specifying all the associated object files.

My observation so far for the 64bit BOINC client build is that it is actually benches slower than the one built by Ned for Athlon XP. Ned's built consistently delivers 2590+ Whet and 5990+ Dhry whereas my own 64bit compile benches 2400+ Whet and 5500 Dhry.

In the end, I've let the system run Ned's BOINC and FFTW3 Seti client built for the AthlonXP over the weekend. Thanks Ned . Each workunit ranges from 6000 to 6500 seconds of CPU time. Hopefully my attempt to compile the 64bit version of the SETI client(FFTW3) will be successful, and the Athlon64 will be able to run a more optimised copy of the client.

Odd, I used a fresh install of Ubuntu AMD64, got all the build tools I thought I would need (build-essential, gcc 3.4, libstdc(??)6(-the first dependency listed on Neds post) and I built FFTW first then followed Ned's guide.

I have a libboinc.a located in /usr/src/boinc/lib

Btw, Ned or Chris. Did you use the line of flags in the first post when compiling seti or the ones on Ned's site?
    I used the ones on Ned's site, and used the flags on the post for compiling FFTW. Perhaps that is possibly why my x86-64 client seems a bit slow.

Welcome Triton, to PCPer and the Seti forums

Sorry, yes there's a little confusion over the flags as we've been refining them.

Here are the latest flags I'm using as of now:

For just building the boinc client for fastest benchmark scores:

Code:
    export CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -static -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -fforce-addr -ffast-math -ftracer"
    Then for compiling boinc AND seti clients to produce fastest seti client:

Code:
    export CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -static -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -fforce-addr -ffast-math -ftracer"
    Hope that clears it up. I'll get aroud to rewriting my website pages soon.

Ned

Ok i kinda figured that. I did the new flags on everything (sans -static) on my Duron system. I think I will redo it on the 64 system to see if it will make it faster

Congratulations Ned! Great work on the static client.

Here some bits and pieces from my side:

My Athlon 64 client (including FFTW) runs well with completion times around 6000-6300s per WU on a 3500+,
    so as an answer to Triton I have to say that it is not faster than Ned's Athlon XP client...

The Athlon MP system that did not profit from earlier optimized compiles, shows a big improvment with FFTW included. It went down to completion times around 9500s on a MP 2400+Vs. 15000s with the original Berkeley client!

I have converted my last Win2k box to Linux and decided to use Fedora Core 4 Test 2.
    It is using GCC 4 and I wanted to see what it does.... Not much good since the Seti client will not compile. FFTW and Boinc have compiled properly though....
    I am running the self compiled Boinc client with Neds dynamic Seti client for Athlon XP.
    I am still waiting for the first results to validate to compare the times with the Windows client I used before.

Good to see some more people involved....

Cu all later
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chboss
    I have converted my last Win2k box to Linux and decided to use Fedora Core 4 Test 2.
    It is using GCC 4 and I wanted to see what it does.... Not much good since the Seti client will not compile. FFTW and Boinc have compiled properly though....
    Ah, the joys of Fedora. They like to live on the cutting edge, promote and push through new technology, and sometimes things break. GCC 4 is very early days still, I'm sure it'll provide benefits when it's matured a little but I bet there'll be stacks of stuff that it breaks in the meantime. Still, it will be useful to have a distro with it available for testing purposes.

Ned

Ah, the joys of Fedora. They like to live on the cutting edge, promote and push through new technology, and sometimes things break.
    Ha ha... yes always the same story with these test versions, but hey no risk no fun...

Just checked on the results, running your dynamic client for Athlon XP (Athlon XP 2600+):
    Windows orig. Berkeley: 10000s
    Ned's FFTW client: 8300s 17% faster than Windows

I will run this box on the test version just for the fun to see all the bugs get fixed for the final core 4 release.

Hey Ned, do you have any experience with compiling on Mac OsX?
    I tried to get the compiler to work on my Mac mini under OsX but did not succeed.
    So far I was not able to find any helpful resources, compiling on OsX.
    Would be fun to see how much can be gained on the Mac PPC or Linux PPC.

Last week the disk on my power book blew...
    After the bigger disk is installed I plan on installing Fedora and OsX paralell.
    This will allow me to try compiling on a PPC environment.

Good night
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry, no experience compiling on Macs

Yes, I'm seeing similar improvements on my dual boot laptop. Windows was taking 5 and a half hours for an average unit and now my static client is doing just over 4 hours. It's definately significantly faster than the windows client.

But I think we could squeeze still more out of it yet. The trouble is there are just far to many parameters for me to test alone. So I need HELP

If you have an athlon-xp, and would test a client against the standard reference unit (would require 2 runs, one benchmark and one of an experimental client), then I could test more optimization flags and combine the results of tests with individual flags into an uber client. But there are just too many for me to do - I'm looking at maybe 10 tests so would need 10 people to do 2 test runs each (I've posted on the berkeley seti forums too).

Ned

Ned,
    I'll give you some help testing your client. All I ask is that you provide instructions. Let me know.

XP 2600+ w/ FC3 (2.6.11-1.14_FC3, i686)

Quote Originally Posted by Christop54
    Ned,
    I'll give you some help testing your client. All I ask is that you provide instructions. Let me know.

XP 2600+ w/ FC3 (2.6.11-1.14_FC3, i686)
    Thanks Christop - that's one, plus I'll do one test, makes 2. Chris B - can you do one??

Anyone else??

Ned

Just tell me how and I will do it. I already have the version at the top of the thread running on the XP1800 system.

Cool

Testers so far:

Christop
    Centered Effect
    Ned

I've gone through all the optimizations I'd like to test and given them some sort of priority based on what effect I think they may have. I have 9 in total, so it would be really nice if we could get 9 testers and test one each. All you need is an Athlon XP running linux.

I would plan the test as follows. Each tester is provided with the current optimized seti client and one experimental client using the same optimization flags PLUS 1 or more additional flags (the one(s) you're specifically testing). You will run the reference work unit (supplied) with each client and return the times to me to determine what effect the additional flag(s) have compared to our reference client. I can then assess the effect of each flag and combine all the positive results to compile one ultra client for download. Who gets which flag to test will be randomly chosen and done blind so you won't specifically know what you're testing until all the results are in. A slower result is just as useful as a faster result as it allows us to eliminate flags that are detrimental to performance.

Hope all that makes sense

Ned