Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: [Linux] Compiling optimized SETI client using FFTW3

It does. I am just confused on how run a reference WUs and not have it connect to Berkley and dl more units so I lose the reference material. Just clear that up and I will be fine after that.

Quote Originally Posted by centered effect
    It does. I am just confused on how run a reference WUs and not have it connect to Berkley and dl more units so I lose the reference material. Just clear that up and I will be fine after that.
    No problem. You don't use boinc. Simply put the reference WU (found in /seti_boinc/client/test_workunits/reference_work_unit.sah when you compile the client - you need to rename it to work_unit.sah) and the client to be tested in a directory and run it:

./seti-client

or whatever it's called.

There will be no output to the screen, it will just run silently, but when it's finished it will output some files for the result and one containing the timing data - but you must run it in one go otherwise the timing gets reset to zero if you stop and restart it. Also, for accurate timings ideally you shouldn't use the computer whilst it's running. It won't attempt to contact berkeley and you don't return this result - it's simply a reference test unit for testing your compiled client (there's more info at the end of my website page on compiling your own seti client)

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 04-19-2005 at 12:18 AM.

But I think we could squeeze still more out of it yet. The trouble is there are just far to many parameters for me to test alone. So I need HELP
    Sure Ned count me in.
    No problem running the reference unit!

Would be good if we can run the tests this week, since I will be out of town next week...

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ned, And yes this week would be perfect to do it. I will be testing it on my XP1800 system (stock settings, 2*256MB, 80Gb 7200HDD, Simply Mepis 2.6.10 Kernel running in KDE) I could also test it on my g/f's system as well (stock Sempron 2200 - similar hardware with Mepis)

OK, that's 4 of us. I'm not getting any responses from my post on the berkeley forums, so if we did 3 runs each (1 baseline reference and 2 test clients), we could test 8 of the 9 options I want to test (I can probably do the last). Is that OK with everyone?

If you can test more, just let me know how many runs you would be prepared to do.

Centered Effect and Christop:

Could you please e-mail me so I have your e-mail addresses and can e-mail you the clients to test (nedslider[at]f2s[dot]com).

I'll try and compile the clients and send them out today so we can test this week

Ned

OK, test clients are compiled and ready to send out.

Chris - I'll e-mail the reference and 2 test clients to you in a moment. Run the reference first, then test1. Then run test2 if you get time.

CE and Christop - I have some clients ready for you as soon as you e-mail me (nedslider[at]f2s[dot]com)

Each file is about 1.1MB in size and you'll receive 3 of them.

Below are some generic instructions, also included in the e-mail:

Instructions:

All clients are static builds for Athlon-XP. You can only run on an Athlon XP. DO NOT inturrupt the client when it is running.

You will have received a tar.gz file (textX.tar.gz) containing a test client and the reference work unit for each test together with the reference client (reference.tar.gz).

Extract each archive into a separate directory.

You need to run the reference client and then the test client(s).

For each client, change to the directory where you extracted it and simply run it as follows:

./setiathome_4.7_i686-pc-linux-gnu

The client will run silently and return control to the console when it finishes (you should know roughly how long a unit takes on your particular machine).

DO NOT inturrupt the client when it is running (this will reset the timing info to zero and void the test). When it has finished, there will be a file called init_data.xml in the directory. If you open this file in a text editor and look under the <wu_cpu_time> field, it will show the time taken in seconds to complete the work unit. This is the time we want.

Perform the test for the reference client (to obtain a baseline reference time for your system) and again for each test client you received.

Report (to me) the time taken for the reference client and each test client you tested. Please clearly indicate witch test client the result is for (eg labeled test1, test2, test3 etc).

To obtain useful results, it is important not to use the computer whilst the test is running as this could affect the result. Also, try follow the same procedure for each test so you obtain comparable results. Obviously the tests must be run on the same machine under the same conditions to accurately compare the test and reference results.

Feel free to ask any questions if you are unsure.
    Ned

Excellent I will have start to run the client once I am home....
    I will let you know once the results are in.

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks Chris

Ned

Sent you an email Ned, will start when I get home as well. I can only do one run on the Sempron machine, but the other I can try and do as many as I can.

The files did arrive, however the results will be in by tomorrow evening.
    Got stuck on my way home in the local pub with some friends....

Have a good night
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chboss
    The files did arrive, however the results will be in by tomorrow evening.
    Got stuck on my way home in the local pub with some friends....

Have a good night
    Chris
    Ahh - seti should never get in tha way of beer

Rule #1 says have FUN

Ned

Sent you an email Ned, will start when I get home as well. I can only do one run on the Sempron machine, but the other I can try and do as many as I can.
    E-mail received. I'll send you the reference and two test clients. Don't forget you'll need to run the reference on each machine if using more than one machine to get a baseline.

If you want to test more, I can design a second round of testing once the first round of results are in and analysed.

Ned

Thanks Ned, I got the files and testing it now on my XP1800. Again, the Sempron will have to wait, but that will be a machine that will be occupied after a certain time.

Now, how do you the results, can I send you all the result.sah renamed to thier particular test?

Now, how do you the results, can I send you all the result.sah renamed to thier particular test?

It's a file called init_data.xml that I'm after, not the result.sah file, and it's created after the WU finishes.

All I need is the time for the reference and each test client. I'm not really interested in the results as I'm pretty sure all clients would produce results that validate OK

When the WU has finished, there will be a file called init_data.xml in the directory. If you open this file in a text editor and look under the <wu_cpu_time> field, it will show the time taken in seconds to complete the work unit. This is the time we want.

You can either post the client/time combination here or rename init_data.xml appropriately (ref.xml or test3.xml etc) and e-mail it to me.

Example for you would be:

Code:
    Reference: XXXX Secs
    Test3: YYYY Secs
    Test4: ZZZZ Secs
    Ned

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Ahh - seti should never get in tha way of beer

Ned
    never has, and never will!

great job guys, interesting stuff here!