Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: agp not sure if install or setup right help

Does it play any better since you made the edits?

Quote Originally Posted by elvin
    jackel thx so much for i was going crazy saying no no no not reinstall it all. thx a bunch on the fast response. spankin I'll post that glx in a min.thank god i have another pc shesh.
    You're very welcome! I'm so glad to be able to help in the Linux forum!!!!

No same those marks on glxgears is about the same.What i did was shut off dynamtic lighting on painkiller but performance is not there.I'm not sure the performance with this setup should be that poor.setting to get some performance i had to drop to 800x600 anything higher it's just slow.Also same thing for doom3.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

By the looks of your GLXGears FPS, it appears that you do have the 3D acceration working. But it's not as high as I'd expect. My MSI G4 Ti4200 gets around 2500 - 3000 FPS.

I know alot of the older G4 were able to beat many of the FX cards, but I don't think my card should be faster then yours. Maybe I'm wrong.

That's what i'm saying i read many post on cards what they get doing glxgears I saw a 4000 nvidia card whip with over 2000 to 4000 on fps.I just got to figure it out somehow cause the game play with this is just not cutting it.

Do you have anything running in the background or in a virtual terminal? With FC3 64bit and an MSI 5900XT, I get about 7380 fps and with folding running in the background, that drops to 320 fps.

I see where you checked /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card, but not where you ever checked /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status. What does it say there?

I have to hand it to you Willie! You are the FIRST person in over 3.5 years that was actually able to prove to me that there is a speed gain by turning off a Distributed Computing application. I always thought if things were configured right, there wouldn't be any noticable difference. Well, appearently in Linux there is a performance hit when running FaD. It doesn't look like as much as Folding though. I get a solid 3300fps with GLXGears when FaD is off. But I get 2500 - 3000fps when it's on. Currently I stopped playing Doom3 since I have gotten to the point where there is too much demand for my graphics card. Or so I thought. With FaD running, I was getting 6-7 fps at one point in the game. When I tried it again with FaD turned off, I was getting an easy 17 fps. That's good enough to be able to frag again!

I'm going to have to experiment with the nice setting in FaD. It should be set up so that this wouldn't happen. I'd expect that your Folding is set too low.

I don't see much to tweak - folding is set at defaults (idle)- but in Linux I can see a difference w/ folding and using X. One is the example I gave above - and also if I leave my machine at work on the desktop (rather than logging out). When I walk off for awhile, my frame times have been seen to double. For normal, day to day use, it's not an issue for me. When I decide to game on my Linux box (not often), I just stop folding for the duration. Of course, this is with gnome and kde - it's quite possible a lighter window manager would yield better results.

A lighter desktop may help, but I would tend to believe we are seeing a difference in the way Linux shares CPU power vs Windows (in Windows I never saw any slowdowns). But Linux does have a priority setting that is much more adjustable then the Windows High, Normal, and Low settings. I would assume if we could turn down the priority a bit more, then we'd see an improvement.

I think there was a setting built right into FaD that would allow me to adjust it. Or was that in DF, or Genome, or Seti...Oh-man, I've done so many of these things, it's all becoming a whirl!

Actually I think it was DF. But there should be a way to over-ride it anyways. I'll have to look into it tomorrow. Time for some ZZZs tonight.

I have S@H running on priority 39; nice 19, and it still affects my glxgears scores slightly. Don't laugh: ~500 with S@H running, and ~525 with it off. LOL, my Matrox G400 rocks

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    I have S@H running on priority 39; nice 19, and it still affects my glxgears scores slightly. Don't laugh: ~500 with S@H running, and ~525 with it off. LOL, my Matrox G400 rocks

Ned
    Easy now fella, that G400 isn't very far behind my mighty Geforce 3 Ti200- I've seen a Max of 678 FPS, with gears minimized, and NOTHING running in the background, well, services of course, but no programs.

How funny things change, I remember, what appears to be not so long ago, that the Matrox Millenium, was THE ONLY card to have!!!!

Elvin- If you'd like to follow Provicemo advice and use Nano instead of VI, I do, and dont find any ready made RPM on the net I have one that I made meself for suse 9.2. If you want it, its about 400kb, just drop me a note with your e-mail adress.

I dont think the 5500 is a very speedy or powerfull chip compared to the old GF4 line. If you're playing painkiller thats through cedega right? That might bogg you down aswell.

Sick Willie- How fast is you CPU? In suse x86 (havent benched x86-64 yeat) I get about 3800fps on my 6600 with a A64 3000 but a, IMO, respectable 47 fps in the D3 timedemo on high detail @1024.

just to quantify, I suggested vi, as he was stuck in run level 3, "back in the day", on the motorla powerstack, and IBM RS6000, the X System was quirky at best, so we always ran in text mode only (3), so all we ever used was vi, it's what I'm familiar with, and what I figured would work best for him in that situation. .

Yes I think Nedit, and some of the others are MUCH more user friendly!

You did the right thing (bonso supreme judge of the known universe...) as suse ships with vi (I thnk most dists do) and it is a very powerfull editor but you dont really need an excavator to do dig a hole for a garden flower, but Im sure we are in agreement on that .

Yes that was one time when I'm like not again.you guys rock like always the support here is top notch I posted many times in cedega i'v yet to get any replys.Bonso yes i'm running cedega to play instll and all went find, I could never get that point 2 play to work it's just not compatible with 64 os.I saw one person post in nvidia forum on a 4000 nvidia got higher score then me alot higher that's why I'm thinking I got conflict or something is not set right.

Host Bridge: PCI device 10de:00e1
    Fast Writes: Supported
    SBA: Supported
    AGP Rates: 8x 4x
    Registers: 0x1f00421b:0x00000302

Driver: AGPGART
    AGP Rate: 8x
    Fast Writes: Disabled
    SBA: Enabled

Also how can i check what i got running and what can i shut off or change priority.