Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: agp not sure if install or setup right help

Quote Originally Posted by bonso
    ...Sick Willie- How fast is you CPU? In suse x86 (havent benched x86-64 yeat) I get about 3800fps on my 6600 with a A64 3000 but a, IMO, respectable 47 fps in the D3 timedemo on high detail @1024.
    It's an A64 3000, K8S8X mobo, 5900XT, 1 gig ram and FC3 x86-64 (TestBox in my sig). Other than glxgears last night, I haven't run any video "benchmarks" on it. It plays UT2004 pretty well @ 10 x 7 even with folding running.

@Spankin Partier,

Let me know what you find out, as well as if there is any testing I can do to help.

If i look at system info on suse it shows me that almost half my memory is use just with being online and posting that's like can't be. appz are using 17 percent and dis cache is 24% does anyone know if that common on linux.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

You did the right thing (bonso supreme judge of the known universe...) as suse ships with vi (I thnk most dists do) and it is a very powerfull editor but you dont really need an excavator to do dig a hole for a garden flower, but Im sure we are in agreement on that .
    I'm nearly positive that Suse ships with pico. I used 9.2 briefly when Novell was mailing it to anyone that asked. I tried to cajole them into sending me the x86-64 version but they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin
    If i look at system info on suse it shows me that almost half my memory is use just with being online and posting that's like can't be. appz are using 17 percent and dis cache is 24% does anyone know if that common on linux.
    Yes, that's normal. Linux will use any amount of memory you install. Technically, so will (any modern version of) Windows.

Then I don't see where the issue is.I sure wish my ati9800 with work on install like nvidia does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    I'm nearly positive that Suse ships with pico.
    Yupp, you're right (seems I never looked) but its not installed by default though.

Yupp, you're right (seems I never looked) but its not installed by default though.
    That's odd, then. Since it was the first time I installed Suse, it seems (looking back through the fog) that I would have done a default install. Maybe not though. The only reason I remember at all is because Suse has pico and FC3 has nano.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin
    Then I don't see where the issue is.I sure wish my ati9800 with work on install like nvidia does.
    I think the issue is going to be the overall speed of the 5500 in combination with playing through an extra translation layer (Cedega). In order for framerates to be acceptable, you may very well have to play at 8 x 6. However, have you tried the latest ATI drivers for your 9800? There seems to be a new driver posted on ATI's site for x86-64, dated 4/07/05.

No i haven't since i went out and bought this card I figure it be close enough to performance that i wouldn't care if it was slower,but not in my wild dreams would i say it be that darn slow.Another thing I read over and over cedega file text for configure but where it says it's at do open it.I go and look and the darn file is not there so i can't tweak the darn thing. google don't show or help in finding it.I know it has to be there but it's not where they say unless there is a hidden file and my setting are not set right to see it.

For sure, the FX5500 and ATI9800 are not in the same class. I've let my transgaming subscription lapse since they always wait until it's expired to let me know anything about it, so I can't help you much with that part of it. I recommend trying the ATI card and drivers at this point so you can see if the video card is the bottleneck (assuming ATI's drivers work, of course).

what is i have to do on suse to uninstall the drivers so i can then put the ati card back without it going crazy.

Also on the webpage for what you have to have install.I'm learn more all the time you need certain things install out of all that posted and i do a check 2 things are not install not sure how to go about it, these are the two things XFree86-Mesa-libGL and XFree86-libs i guess suse 64 don't use or just don't install it not sure which is the case.

Start Yast and go to "software -> install new software" and search for those libs, if they are included in the dist they will show up and then you just tick the box and press "ok".

I would suggest editing xorg.conf and restoring the dri section and changing the driver from nvidia to vesa. As far as the XFree86* items, I believe that would just be if you were using XFree. You're not, you're using Xorg. So, probably Xorg's equivalent should be installed, which I would think you could do with yast (or yast2) - I can't remember which one.

that's what i did search on yast if the file is install and it don't show it.