question about avg. seek speed...

Hey guys. I was looking around at hard drives, cuz I'm about to build a new system, and I noticed a Seagate Drive for about the same price as the Maxtor Drive listed on the HW Leaderboard, and as you can see, the Seagate drive has an avg seek time of 8ms, and the Maxtor has an avg seek time of 9.3ms. Does this difference result in much of a performance increase? It doesn't seem like I'd notice 1.3ms when I'm opening some software, but I really don't know... Thanks.

Matt

Re: question about avg. seek speed...

Quote Originally Posted by mdb_utphy
    Hey guys. I was looking around at hard drives, cuz I'm about to build a new system, and I noticed a Seagate Drive for about the same price as the Maxtor Drive listed on the HW Leaderboard, and as you can see, the Seagate drive has an avg seek time of 8ms, and the Maxtor has an avg seek time of 9.3ms. Does this difference result in much of a performance increase? It doesn't seem like I'd notice 1.3ms when I'm opening some software, but I really don't know... Thanks.

Matt
    The difference is very small in this case, only about 10%, in terms of total access time. I don't think you'll notice much difference in normal use. Personally however, I'd prefer the seagate.