Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maxtor 300G only being recognized half the time at boot.

I bought myself a Maxtor 300G 16MB cache hard drive a few weeks ago. and i hadent noticed this before but seems the hard drive is only being recognized about half the time when my system is booting, the boot screen will show my raptor but sometimes it wont show my Maxtor. Weird thing is, if i keep rebooting a few times in a row then the maxtor magically appears during the boot process. But once the drive is recognized and i fully boot into windows, the drive never suddenly dissapears. Its as though if the drive is recognized during boot then im ok the rest of the time the computer is on, but if i boot and drive not found then i re-boot and re-boot till it does come up.

At first i thought it might be a cable going out, so i replaced it, but obviously that wasent the problem. This maxtor drive was replacing a Hitachi 250G drive, which never had boot recognizing problems, it was always recognized? By the way i ran HDDlife and it shows the drive as being good (i know that HDDlife cant predict future failures but it looks like its saying the drive is ok at the PRESENT).

Well anyway, has other people had this problem, i thought i read somewhere that the drive comming up missing was perhaps a bios thing? If theres a fix or a workaround id love to hear from you guys.

P.S. my system specs are below
    Black Chenming-602 (side window)|DangerDen TDX and NV-78 Nvidia VGA Block|Enermax 720w|EluminX Sapphire keyboard|Asus A8N-SLi Dlx.|Athlon64 FX-57 @ 2.97G|Windows Vista Ult. & XP Pro SP2 Build.2180|2x1024 Corsair XMS3500 ProSeries|1 Raptor VR 300G SATA|1 Seagate 750G SATA|BenQ 16x Dual 8x DL|Lite-On 16X Dual|Nvidia XFX 7900GTX|Samsung 305T 30" LCD|Creative X-Fi|Logitech Z-680 5.1 505 Watts
    My Computer Pix

Re: Maxtor 300G only being recognized half the time at boot.

Please state the exact model number of the maxtor drive. In the meantime, check in the BIOS to see if there is a BIOS option such as "fast boot" or whatever. If there is, then disabling it may help.