Sooo.. What should I do in college???

well, I am about to leave high school and the time has come to start applying for colleges. I live in Texas, and checked out UTD's campus yesterday (university of texas at dallas) and it seemed like a really nice place to go to. other colleges I have heard of are UNT, UTA, UT (austin), A&M. my problem is, I know I want to do something with computers in college, but Im not sure what that thing is. there are so many options out there, so I was hoping some of u could help guide me. I really like dealing with hardware, and am very comfortable with building comps, fixing problems, etc. Im not much a "software" guy though. I just never took to the time to learn that stuff. in school, Im currently in PreAP PreCalculus (with straight A's) and next year Im doing AP Calculus. so what do u think I should study, and why??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Jesh
    Opty 146 0540FPMW @ 3.0ghz
    300x10, 2.5-4-3-7, 2.7vdimm
    DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
    2x512mb OCZ Platinum Rev.2 TCCD
    ATi X1800XT 512MB
    Fortron 530w w/ modded rails
    Zalman 7000-AlCu

MY HEATWARE

Re: Sooo.. What should I do in college???

Well, its hard to figure out what you wanna do with the rest of your life. I dont think anyone ever really figures it out.

I had always planed to go into the Marines, since it is tradition in my family that the males serve atleast 6 years in the Marine. however because of a football injury and a reconstructed left shoulder I coudlnt.

So then after a while, I decided to go to Devry in columbus. I orginally went for CET. Which is Computer Engineering Technology. Designing and building circit boards. Sounded fun, but wasnt.

I then transfered to CIS, Computer Information Science. Programming, I like it, and have stayed with it, and will get my BS in about 9 more months.

I have also become interested in a Major called Biomedical Computer Science. After I finish my BS in CIS I will go to that.

Basically what Biomedical Computer Science is, is that you use computer programs to advance the medical feild. Research programs diseases, cancer things like that. Also trying to solve the human gnome project, things like that.

My point with all the rambling, is that just go out somewhere, somewhere far from home. To get away from that influence. And really figure out who and what you are, then what you want to do will come to you.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

here is my two cents; I tried computer engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. If you like building computers (that has nothing to do with hardware). When you go into computer engineering (which is all about how computer hardware works on chipset level) most of the stuff you'll be doing is about math and physics. At the end (third year and after) you'll start building interesting stuff like CPUs, memory chips and so on.

If you like coding and algorithms like me (I stayed in CS) then CS would be for you. If you like electronics in general and not specifically computers then electrical engineering would be for you. Most importantly that you like calc, discrete math, and physics. If not look for another field.

Ya, listen to zee. If you don't care for math and physics, avoid computer engineering like the plague. I tried the CSE program here at Michigan State, and absolutely hated it. Programming for hours on end is NOT fun, at least for me it wasn't. Not to mention the calculus and mathmatical theory classes you have to take.

I took to the realization that computers are just a hobby for me, and that doing it for a job ruined it for me.
    Nuke em'.

Computer hardware is a hobby for me, thats why I started to do that for a living with CET. But once it started getting into the binary level of whats happening on your motherboard, my head hurt lol.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

Man, let me just tell you to DO WHAT YOUR TRUE PASSION IS. If it's something in computers, great! I totally agree with what Nate just said in regards to my current personal situation:

I took to the realization that computers are just a hobby for me, and that doing it for a job ruined it for me.
    Back in high school (mid-to-late 90s), I fell into that popular trap where they tested you over and over to see what you were good in (math, science, mechanical, technical) and whatever you tested best at, you should do for a career. Nevermind doing what your true passion is. They also focused on money as a factor too.

I went into computer science because I was good at it, not necessarily because it's what I enjoyed deep down. I liked messing with them at home and whatnot, but 6 years later, with a computer degree in my hand, I've yet to get a job in the field. I can't imagine myself even wanting to do it for a career now, especially as morale in the industry itself is declining at a massive rate. I have a friend that makes $70,000 a year working in computers and he hates it. He works for the weekends and vacation time. He's stated that sometime soon, he'll drop it all and go back to school for something totally different.

In regards to my situation, it's back to school for me...probably for sports management, which was going to be my ORIGINAL choice back in high school until we took the battery of tests showing I was good in technical stuff too along w/ business, but that the money was quicker in technical. I love baseball, and I want it to be a part of my everyday life, just like I wanted it to be back in high school. But going with computers, I've now wasted 6 years on something that truly is only a hobby. Ya know, I wish high schools would have pointed out that if you do your true passion, you're probably going to end up being BETTER at that than what you would do in a career you tested to be good at.

In regards to your situation, and anybody else that ends up reading this thread, do your true passion. Do something you would eat, sleep and breathe. Do something that would make you look forward to going to work every day. Remember the old cliche, "Doing something you enjoy adds five more days to your weekend." I'm beginning to think that's true. If your true passion is programming, then go for it! If it's hardware, do it! If it's anything not computer-related, go for it! Imagine a life where you were proud to tell someone your job and not have to dread a minute of it.

Whew, talk about the American Dream.

Ian
    Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platium
    CPU: AMD64 3200+ 90nm
    RAM: 1 GB Corsair ValueSelect Dual Channel
    CPU Heatsink/Fan: Thermaltake A1838
    Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB
    Sound: Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum eX
    Power Supply: TurboLink 420W (dual fan)
    Hard Drive #1: Samsung SATA 160GB (boot)
    Hard Drive #2: Samsung SATA 120GB(mp3s)
    DVD Burner: NEC ND-3520A
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn 16x DVD
    Sound System: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 500W

Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.

These will leave the most doors open as to what you can do later in life. Also, you can always transfer out of CSEE, but it's often hard to transfer into these programs.

As for finding out what you want to do, I *STONGLY* suggest talking to your professors in your classes and trying to get jobs working with people in fields close to yours. This will give you a great idea of what the life of these people is like.

Also, go to your school library and leaf through some of the professional journals there. You can get an idea of what the 'big problems' in various fields are. If any of them sound really interesting, try to get an independant study project with a professor to research it.

Clearly, my advice is biased towards academia/researcher type positions, but if you put in the time to get the PhD, it's a pretty nice lifestyle. Also, the above types of engineers have some of the lowest unemployment rates of any profession! (and are well paid (ie. more toys!!))

yea, im 1 year behind you from waht it seems like...im a sophomore now, and im in pre ap calc this year, calc junior and osmething at a college near by senior..im taking physics next year and ap phycics senior, and i am going to go for electrical engineering or computer enginerring.. both of those seem like they're what i like to do, although i dont want to ruin the hobby by making it my job....i think that if you do what you think you want to do, early on you will find out if u want to do it or not, just leave enough options open that you can change if you want to...also, unless you KNOW that for all of your life you have wanted to do something with computers, dont go to a school that wont give you other options.. i got into computers when i was real young, and for my child hood thats what i liked doing, so i might go to a computer intesnsive school, but i want to leave options open as we all change our minds...

good luck!
    andy

thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I really appreciate it
    Opty 146 0540FPMW @ 3.0ghz
    300x10, 2.5-4-3-7, 2.7vdimm
    DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
    2x512mb OCZ Platinum Rev.2 TCCD
    ATi X1800XT 512MB
    Fortron 530w w/ modded rails
    Zalman 7000-AlCu

MY HEATWARE

I'm in the exact same boat. Although I like working with tough math problems and coding for hours. Taking Precalc this year (junior) and calc next but really don't know what to do. I'm thinking about going to one of the technical colleges around here but...well I don't really know yet. Still really confused about this "Life after high school" thing.

Anyways good luck and hopefully we'll both turn out alright.