Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

This topic is inspired by the following newstory.

Stolen from http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4384549/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4384549/detail.html

School Terror Suspect Denied Change Of Venue

Osantowski Charged With Plotting Columbine-Style Massacre

POSTED: 4:02 pm EDT April 15, 2005
    UPDATED: 5:08 pm EDT April 15, 2005

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. -- A judge on Friday denied a defense lawyer's motion for a change of venue in the case of a 17-year-old charged with plotting a Columbine-style massacre at Chippewa Valley High School.

Macomb County Circuit Judge Matthew Switalski said he would rule next week on several other defense motions, including one to dismiss the case against Andrew Osantowski. Video

See Video Of Teen Shouting, Firing Weapon

Switalski indicated he could reconsider the motion for a change of venue during the course of the trial, defense lawyer Brian Legghio said.

Legghio has argued that there is no evidence that Osantowski (pictured, left) made a real threat when he sent a series of Internet messages to Celia McGinty, an Idaho girl he met in an Internet chat room last September.

He says Osantowski's messages were protected under freedom of speech provisions of the U.S. Constitution and the charges should be tossed out.

Osantowski allegedly said in one of the chats, "On judgment day, I'll probably kill my family, my three cats, then off to school."

During a search of Osantowski's Clinton Township home, police found weapons and ammunition, bomb-making materials and instructions, power tools that police say were stolen, Nazi flags and books about white supremacy and Adolf Hitler.

Osantowski is being held on a $1 million bond on charges of threatening terrorism, concealing stolen firearms, breaking and entering a gun shop, and threatening to kill a witness, among other charges.

A jury trial was set for June 7.
    "On judgment day, I'll probably kill my family, my three cats, then off to school."

In recent years, how often have we seen comments like the above attributed to teenagers growing up? I think we've all been mad at our parents and various other authority figures at some point in our life, but when I was young I would never even dream of some of the solutions teens come up with today.

Is there simply too much stress and technology, sex and violence in entertainment, drugs and peer pressure? Are parents just too distracted to pay attention to their kids? Is it the end times as predicted by the Bible? Or maybe, simply, they just don't fear the consequences of their actions anymore? What is the cause of such unhappiness in our children growing up today?
    Last edited by 'K-; 04-15-2005 at 11:30 PM.

Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

I chalk it up to crappy parenting and teaching. Many children lack proper restraints or ethical systems. Many also are not taught how to deal with rejection and failure, how to learn from them both and rectify their actions. People deal with each other too vapidly, where appearance and athletic ability in school mean more than anything else. People are simply too shallow. I don't think it has much of anything to do with sex or drugs (and certainly not the end times since that entire book of the Bible is one giant metaphor for Rome). Rather, I think it has to do with the fundamental values we as a society hold dear. Not "thou shalt not covet or murder" or things like that. No, we hold economic success and physical appearance most dearly to our hearts. We teach our children not to learn or to be intelligent, but to be economically successful in the easiest and shortest times possible. If you do not have money, you do not have worth. If you do not have popularity, you do not have worth. Those with one tend to gain the other rather quickly, meaning they are completely worthy in the eyes of society. You cannot fix the problem with depressed whackos like this by installing metal detectors or hiring more school "counselors". Society as a whole has to decide that it wants to hold its member to a different standard than what it has for so many years now.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I'd throw religion in there somewhere too. Most everyone I have ever met who is a mess has been brainwashed somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    I'd throw religion in there somewhere too. Most everyone I have ever met who is a mess has been brainwashed somewhere along the line.
    ^^Geez Afalzone. Did some priest or minister creep you out or scare you as a kid? I dont think they are all guilty of playing the Ipcress noise at sermons.
    I worry more about the subliminal messages in advertising on TV that suggests we all need to be like that creepy Bob....who takes a magic pill and becomes a "real man". You know. Hung like an Exxon pump.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-16-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Parents are held responsible for kids actions, but they're not allowed to punish the kids because it might hurt their feelings. We have to be 'sensitive' to everyone because they might get offended. But even this is selective. It's okay to piss off the church, but heaven forbid you even get a frown from an Athiest. Spanking is consdered child abuse in all cases. We can starve people to death, but if a dolphin is starving, we give it a feeding tube. WTF is going on in this country?

Bull
    Shit

^^^You forgot little Johny's right to wear makeup to school. Its discriminatory to forbid one from doing what the other does. rolleyes.

And we wonder why kids are confused. They think they have some "right" to do stupid things. Like explore the "feminine" side of their personalities. Gimme a break.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-16-2005 at 01:04 PM.

^^^You forgot little Johny's right to wear makeup to school. Its discriminatory to forbid one from doing what the other does. rolleyes.

And we wonder why kids are confused. They think they have some "right" to do stupid things. Like explore the "feminine" side of their personalities. Gimme a break.
    How is that applicable, jimz? That's probably one of the more asinine things I've heard you say. Of course people have the right to do stupid things, and then face the consequences. I'll point you to several thousand years of history where males wore makeup and females did not.

Parents are held responsible for kids actions, but they're not allowed to punish the kids because it might hurt their feelings. We have to be 'sensitive' to everyone because they might get offended. But even this is selective. It's okay to piss off the church, but heaven forbid you even get a frown from an Athiest. Spanking is consdered child abuse in all cases. We can starve people to death, but if a dolphin is starving, we give it a feeding tube. WTF is going on in this country?

Bull
    Shit
    The dolphins were more cognizant than Terri Schiavo, for one. Two, if you can't discipline your child without spanking you have problems as a parent. Three, stop making false generalizations attempting to portray yourself as a victim..
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

"How is that applicable, jimz? That's probably one of the more asinine things I've heard you say. Of course people have the right to do stupid things, and then face the consequences. I'll point you to several thousand years of history where males wore makeup and females did not."

Its applicable because it causes confusion. Save the historic references[weak justification based on history]. Historically we have down syndrome. Will you defend that via historical reference? Its ok because its happened before?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-16-2005 at 01:27 PM.

Its applicable because it causes confusion. Save the historic references. Historically we have down syndrome. Will you defend that via historical reference? Its ok because its happened before?
    Down's syndrome is genetic. What's your point? What causes confusion is society beating people down for feeling or acting differently than "normal", whatever that is. The historical references are useful because they disprove notions that "gender" (often confused with sex) is innate.

Gender is not innate? Doesnt that statement counter the gay position?

What makes you think that kids before now never thought of anything like this?

^^Of course they arent original thoughts. But convince me the stage isnt different today for kids to act out those thoughts ...as it seems to have become another form of the typical teenage "revolt" mindset. I can make a statement...sorta thing....everyone is doing it and its ok to go against the grain...no matter how foolish.
    Come on. Kids wearing girls makeup to school. Is it about some perceived right or an expression of mindset. Its the long hair deal in the sixties pushed to a foolish limit....further enabled/fueled by some equally foolish imagined "rights" position.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-16-2005 at 01:57 PM.

Gender is not innate? Doesnt that statement counter the gay position?
    There is no "gay position" to counter. The homosexual community has historically been divided as to the causes of homosexuality. Some feel it's genetic and some feel it's not. However, homosexuality itself is not gender, but a sexuality. I try and explain it as follows.

Sex- The equipment between a person's legs. Four categories of sex are: male, female, inter-, and trans-. Three of these are conditions into which an individual is born while the fourth is a medically-inacted condition.

Gender- The societal role an individual occupies. The U.S. typically acts as though there are but two genders, which are the same as the "two" sexes. However, gender can also been seen (among others) as "penetrator/penetratee", as many societies have done throughout history and continue to do today. For instance, how would you describe a male who is married to a female but where the female does the penetrating in the relationship? Does this male hold the title of man, woman, fag, dyke, what? The language people use belies their true notions of this entire three-fold situation.

Sexuality- The choices one makes concerning what to do with one's sexual activities. Examples include: heterosexuality, homosexuality, bestiality, SM, bondage, bisexuality, et cetera.

Naturally the definitions I have given here are heavily debated by those in anthropology, sociology, and gender studies. However, these seem to be the most easily accessible to people not concerned with the studies ongoing in those disciplines.

By the way, that kid recently in the news who wanted to wear makeup to school did so for religious reasons.

No. The gay position is very clear. Its not about choice...its is accepted to be a genetic issue...or else it will fall into a category where gayness will/can be considered a choice....and that position leads to an uncomfortable confusion......because the value/normalness of that choice can be argued...as it was early on. I believe Robert3 has amplified that position in some of his links in other threads.

To the kid who wants to wear makeip? I dont care where his perceived "rights" come from. Its a foolish exercise.

Back to the subject..

It's a peculiarly male thing though isn't it? You don't hear of girls stealing their parentsí guns and going postal.

From what I understand, the boys that do this are generally regarded as losers and misfits. They feel quite apart from society and have a burning desire to 'get back' at those around them.

The bottom line is that they are also sociopaths. They are incapable of feeling compassion or seeing things from the point of view of others. In a society where gun ownership is prevelant and guns are not secured properly, they have an easy way of externalising their frustrations.
    Last edited by Enmore; 04-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.