Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45
  1. #31
    Joined
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,884

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man
    Are there negative and positive influences? Absolutely. However, these influences do not pull the trigger of the gun, or go on rampages. To say that something made you do the act is like saying you're a puppet without it's own will. It's a choice that's made, regardless of what factors influence it.
    It's a choice that's made *because* of what factors influence it. To say otherwise is to say, "It does not matter what we do because the choice is unchangeable."

    There's a whole lot of stuff wrapped up in this debate. I offer my own observations.

    Things like Columbine remain extremely rare. Most kids, regardless of upbringing, tend to find their way to a self-sustaining adulthood and eventually grow out of really destructive behavior. I remain amazed at the things some kids are able to grow through and it continues to be a source of my overall faith in humanity.

    The "job" of parents is more challenging than it has been in at least 75 years. Worries over disease (talking polio type stuff here) and the ability to put food on the table are a thing of the past for the vast majority. Other concerns, like keeping them out of drugs, STDs, etc., have been there all along.

    The newest concern, and what makes things tough today, is steering them toward self-sufficiency and finding their own happiness in a society where so much emphasis falls on money and self while devaluing responsibility, self-control, and entire segments of the population.

    Look around elementary and junior high schools for examples. Incidents of kids unwilling to put forth any effort abound. Examples of kids with zero social skills abound. They want it all, but are unwilling to do anything to get it. They don't seem to give a crap about anything but themselves and aren't willing to do anything, even for themselves. They're still a minority of the overall student population, but they are growing.

    In a way, we are becoming victims of success. A lot of kids "have it all", but have done nothing to earn it. It's a formula for discontent.

    Kids need to learn traits like responsibility, work ethic, respect for others. These things don't just happen, and they are exactly the opposite of what our society tends to glorify in its "stars" (athletic, film, music, etc.). Too many parents seem preoccupied with getting Johnny the latest gizmo and are not modelling appropriate behavior, or at the least monitoring what little Johnny is absorbing while Ma and Pa are off working.

    Parents should be fully aware of the challenge before having kids. Parents are the only line of defense. Parents can not afford to give up the fight.

    The "opportunities" for trouble will always exist. Parents can't always be there to make the call. The real trick lies in raising your kids to make the right calls on their own.

  2. #32
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    987

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man
    I have a problem with starving someone to death, regardless of the mental state, when it is illegal to treat terrorists, criminals and animals like that. I have a problem with someone being killed because of their supposed 'quality of life'. Food and water being denied to someone that can swallow, maybe not perfectly, and isn't on other machines is bad. Yes, in a Hospice, you don't do anything to prolong life, but that's stuff like using a ventilator or using shock paddles to revive them if they pass on. You don't deprive them of food and water in that place. I don't think people are seeing this thin line because of the slanted news media.
    You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

    However, I do agree with you on the 'holding the individual responsible' stance. Still I question what makes an individual commit some of the most heinous acts without any the slightest hint of remorse or consideration of the consequences. In this day and age you would think there would be better things for one to be consumed with than killing their peers and then themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    In a way, we are becoming victims of success.
    Amen on your entire post, especially the part I quoted above.
    Last edited by 'K-; 04-18-2005 at 02:08 PM.

  3. #33
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    11 Dimensional Space-Time
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    You make the mistake of thinking that the world is somehow more evil or less discliplined than the past. I think history disagrees with you. Rather, the actions carried out have merely changed.
    The first real thing you've said in this thread, and I agree. It is not a matter of the degree of "evilness" in the world, but simply a consequence of our surroundings. Since the using of guns to act out a sense of vengenance or retaliation was first done, it is simply being copied by others who share the originals feelings.

    If it wasn't guns or bombs, it'd be something else.

    And to K-, it is not just "bad parenting" in the sense of parents who abuse their kids, or just don't give a shit. As I understand, the columbine kids came from well to do families..............I suspect the issue here was parents too busy with their careers to properly "parent" their kids.............so yes, still "bad parenting", but just to be clear that "bad parenting" can take many forms.

  4. #34
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    816

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    Back to the subject..

    It's a peculiarly male thing though isn't it? You don't hear of girls stealing their parentsí guns and going postal.
    Yes. The only people who seem to comment on that are radical feminists.
    If only the "patriarchal society" treated boys like hairy girls none of this violence would happen. What a laugh!
    They'd also approve of how Orangutan defines gender.

  5. #35
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    E n g l a n d
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    LOL I'm not even going there.

    A good clip round the ear once in a while is all they need. Spare the rod, spoil the child I say.

  6. #36
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    11 Dimensional Space-Time
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    Back to the subject..

    It's a peculiarly male thing though isn't it? You don't hear of girls stealing their parentsí guns and going postal.
    Yeah, females have that whole sleeping and having kids with underage male students thing going for them................................

  7. #37
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    11 Dimensional Space-Time
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    Spare the rod, spoil the child I say.

    ^^^QFT!!!

  8. #38
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    816

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    LOL I'm not even going there.

    A good clip round the ear once in a while is all they need. Spare the rod, spoil the child I say.
    That's the spirit! Don't overanalyse. /jk

    I'm kind of waiting for someone to come into the thread and rip me a new one after posting that nasty comment about feminism.

  9. #39
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,889

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    ^^^QFT!!!
    typical.
    Abit NF7-S rev 2 - 1700+ tbred B @ 2.4 ghz - 512 mb OCZ PC3500EL - ATI 9800 Pro

    "see it, believe it, never stop working to make it happen"

    CLICK HERE

  10. #40
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,159

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    LOL I'm not even going there.

    A good clip round the ear once in a while is all they need. Spare the rod, spoil the child I say.
    agreed

  11. #41
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Detroit
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,269

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    It's a choice that's made *because* of what factors influence it. To say otherwise is to say, "It does not matter what we do because the choice is unchangeable."

    There's a whole lot of stuff wrapped up in this debate. I offer my own observations.

    Things like Columbine remain extremely rare. Most kids, regardless of upbringing, tend to find their way to a self-sustaining adulthood and eventually grow out of really destructive behavior. I remain amazed at the things some kids are able to grow through and it continues to be a source of my overall faith in humanity.

    The "job" of parents is more challenging than it has been in at least 75 years. Worries over disease (talking polio type stuff here) and the ability to put food on the table are a thing of the past for the vast majority. Other concerns, like keeping them out of drugs, STDs, etc., have been there all along.

    The newest concern, and what makes things tough today, is steering them toward self-sufficiency and finding their own happiness in a society where so much emphasis falls on money and self while devaluing responsibility, self-control, and entire segments of the population.

    Look around elementary and junior high schools for examples. Incidents of kids unwilling to put forth any effort abound. Examples of kids with zero social skills abound. They want it all, but are unwilling to do anything to get it. They don't seem to give a crap about anything but themselves and aren't willing to do anything, even for themselves. They're still a minority of the overall student population, but they are growing.

    In a way, we are becoming victims of success. A lot of kids "have it all", but have done nothing to earn it. It's a formula for discontent.

    Kids need to learn traits like responsibility, work ethic, respect for others. These things don't just happen, and they are exactly the opposite of what our society tends to glorify in its "stars" (athletic, film, music, etc.). Too many parents seem preoccupied with getting Johnny the latest gizmo and are not modelling appropriate behavior, or at the least monitoring what little Johnny is absorbing while Ma and Pa are off working.

    Parents should be fully aware of the challenge before having kids. Parents are the only line of defense. Parents can not afford to give up the fight.

    The "opportunities" for trouble will always exist. Parents can't always be there to make the call. The real trick lies in raising your kids to make the right calls on their own.
    ^^^QFT!
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

  12. #42
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,301

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    In response to the topic question.....................

    Cause they've been to Neverland Ranch

    Lol................

    Laterz,
    dafanman

    Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

    Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

  13. #43
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    987

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    It's not looking good. More on the 'modern angry teen' below...
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.wdiv.com
    Teen Taken Into Custody After Mom Found Dead

    Woman Found Stabbed To Death In Home



    POSTED: 12:21 pm EDT April 25, 2005
    UPDATED: 3:06 pm EDT April 25, 2005


    ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. -- The search for a 15-year-old boy who was missing after his mother was found dead has come to end, according to Local 4 reports.

    Oakland County Sheriff's deputies said that the teen was taken into custody at his family's cabin in Roscommon County, in northern lower Michigan.

    Video: Local 4 Reports From Rochester Hills Homicide Scene

    Sheriff's deputies said the teen (pictured, left) had been arguing with his mother periodically over the past few days.

    At some point Sunday night or Monday morning, the woman was stabbed to death, sheriff's deputies said. The woman's body was found by her mother on Monday morning in the home in the 3000 block of Palm Aire Drive in Rochester Hills, according to sheriff's deputies.

    The teen -- who does not have a license -- was believed to have fled the home in his mother's white 1999 Chevrolet Astro van (pictured, right) with a personalized plate that says LOVE4U, according to sheriff's deputies.

    "We're checking every place we think. We'd like the public's help if they see this guy," said Oakland County Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard.

    Sheriff's deputies were concerned that the teen may be a threat to himself or to others, the station reported.

    The 15-year-old was taken into custody without incident and is expected to be brought back to Oakland County for questioning.
    Stolen from http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4412956/detail.html

  14. #44
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    11 Dimensional Space-Time
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike
    typical.
    Back at ya!

  15. #45
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    11 Dimensional Space-Time
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Why Are Kids So Unhappy Growing Up Nowadays?

    Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    It's not looking good. More on the 'modern angry teen' below...
    Stolen from http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4412956/detail.html

    How so very sad........................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •