View Poll Results: What distro do you use?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

9 6.25%
  • Red Hat/Fedora

27 18.75%
  • SuSe

17 11.81%
  • Debian

12 8.33%
  • Gentoo

16 11.11%
  • Slackware

3 2.08%
  • Ubuntu

32 22.22%
  • PCLinuxOS

6 4.17%
  • Knoppix (or other CD boot)

8 5.56%
  • Other (specify)

14 9.72%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: What distro do you all use?

since this poll was run

I have switched from SuSe to PCLinuxOS

I find it much easier to use and configure

I've tried all Fedora Cores, but then through university I got free licenses for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation, which I'm using now, and lovin' it. Red Hat makes some decent stuff. Not the latest, but stable and very compatible.

Still using ubuntu, but just yesterday i started fiddling around with ArchLinux. I really like it. It is quite different than Deb based distros, so it's been a great learning experience
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

I have since switched all my machines/servers to Debian. I find APT-GET a great tool and Debian does everything I want and need.
    ./

Since my last post in this thread, I've switched from FC3 to CentOS 4.2. (CentOS is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone.) Compared to FC3, CentOS seems like a more "polished/finished" distro.

I have used Gentoo and liked it, but recently got a copy of SuSE 10.0 pro and using that as I type this...like it so far.

I'm still learning Linux overall so I get some hangups sometimes trying to install things, but it doesnt get me down as I enjoy it.

My goal in the next month or so is to ditch windows 100% and just use this flavor of Linux for everything...testing using Cedega for gaming right now, once I can get that figured out and setup correctly....then trying to get video acceleration working ..then I can make the complete switch.

Cool thing is my whole family pretty much uses OpenOffice now...which is cool, got them using something different and my mom & bro really like it. They use it on windows, but still!
    heat: the-elusive-dragon

Dell XPS desktop
    19" monitor
    Intel core duo @ 2.2ghz
    2gb ram
    250gb hdd
    nvidia 8600 gts video with 256 ram
    saitek backlit kb
    razer diamondback mouse (red led)
    windows vista

Quote Originally Posted by elusive-dragon
    Cool thing is my whole family pretty much uses OpenOffice now...which is cool, got them using something different and my mom & bro really like it. They use it on windows, but still!
    OOo is a great tool! I know some buisnesses used it to slowly convert themselves over to Linux. They first get all the employees familure with OOo, Firefox and other cross-plateform Open Source applications, and then they slowly convert the desktops over to Linux. Maybe someday your familly will switch too.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 03-04-2006 at 10:54 PM.

wow im impressed i have mandrake on one but dont use it much now after all this reading i want to install ubuntu on my lappy as dual boot and try it .
    any comments on this or suggestions that i should know before hand.
    pc per is a great place thanx all
    Samd4

Quote Originally Posted by samd4
    wow im impressed i have mandrake on one but dont use it much now after all this reading i want to install ubuntu on my lappy as dual boot and try it .
    any comments on this or suggestions that i should know before hand.
    pc per is a great place thanx all
    Ubuntu is at least as easy to install as Mandrake (Mandriva). It uses the Gnome desktop by deault, so if yoou are used to KDE with mandriva, just install kde and it will become Kubuntu. The benefit over Mandriva, to me, is that it is very popular, so there is a lot of community support without the pressure to join a club for pay, and the witholding of proprietary drivers and fixes to club members.

Knoppix (running MythTV) on my media/file server box. Currently playing with Debian and DSL on other systems. One for a firewall/router, and another just as a learning experience.

Boot the Knoppix CD when I hose up something so bad it hangs on boot.

Is there any way to interrupt a boot and get to a prompt?

Zeph

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrant
    Knoppix (running MythTV) on my media/file server box. Currently playing with Debian and DSL on other systems. One for a firewall/router, and another just as a learning experience.

Boot the Knoppix CD when I hose up something so bad it hangs on boot.

Is there any way to interrupt a boot and get to a prompt?

Zeph
    If you get a kernel panic, the best you can do is shut down the computer, and you can do it with sysrq commands. I can't remember exactly what they are to park the drive, and reboot, etc. Sorry. If it boots fully, you can interrupt the switch over to the window manager a split second before it begins loading probably with F1 or F2, maybe ctrl-alt-backspace. If you're ever in that environment, it doesn't hurt to sign in as root and type: init 3
    to be sure X isn't running. It's also a quick way to exit from X server, so, for instance, to install a video driver.

I am taking a trip and my old Gateway Laptop that I have to use a wall outlet with, it has Me on it now but I just made a DVD Suse 10.1 so I'll try it again.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

SuSE 10.1 is one fine distribution.

Thanks for the tips- it dies when it is loading the rc5 init scripts though, so that is before X tries to load by 10s of seconds. I've seen reference to modifying the boot line in Grub to get it to come up single user (no scripts run). I'll go research that a little, it sound easier than booting Knoppix each time I try a new IVTV driver.

Zeph

Can't vote in this thread as I run all of them plus others.