Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Firefox slow loading on Gentoo

Firefox seems really slow loading webpages on my Gentoo machine. Especially when first opening, my home page seems to take forever..............I have it set to google. I know it is not google, cause when it seems slow on my gentoo box, I try it on IE on my xp box, and it is much quicker.

Wondering if there is some settings or tweaks I need to set to get it to load faster. Pcper is often slow too.

Re: Firefox slow loading on Gentoo

Assuming your /etc/hosts file is fine....

Check out this

Specifically the nglayout.initialpaint.delay, if it doesn't exist, go to about:config and right click, then create a new int value and name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

JBond is offline Let's get started on. . .

Sometimes I get problems emerging bin applications like firefox, when I do get the problems I always unemerge it and am sure to install the source version.

Ok, that helped, but loading my homepage (google) is still painful...................any thoughts?

Edit: And it is not just google, I tried pcper, forums.gentoo...............all just take really long, or don't load. But if I stop the home page loading, and type in an address, even google or pcper, it loads.

So, it is like firefox is having issues loading whatever my homepage is set too....................stupid. Maybe I'll install IE under wine!
    Last edited by nuke; 05-03-2005 at 08:54 PM.

Is this a recent problem on this machine - has the machine ever worked correctly?

The reason I ask, is the closest I've experienced to your problem was caused by a nic sharing an interrupt with a pci modem. When I removed the modem (and the sharing conflict), the nic worked flawlessly.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Is this a recent problem on this machine - has the machine ever worked correctly?

The reason I ask, is the closest I've experienced to your problem was caused by a nic sharing an interrupt with a pci modem. When I removed the modem (and the sharing conflict), the nic worked flawlessly.

Ned
    No, this has always been an issue..............much worse w/ Konqueror.............and there is no modem...............how do you check PCI conflicts in Linux (gentoo)?

Not sure how you'd check in Gentoo.

Is it an onboard nic or pci nic?

It wouldn't have to necessarily be a modem - it could be any device sharing the same interrupt. First thing to try would be to remove any pci cards and turn off as many other onboard devices as possible in the bios and see if that fixes it. It might not necessarily be a hardware issue, but it's worth considering.

Also, you could try a quick boot from something like a knoppoix LiveCD to see if it's reproducible on another OS - might help tell you if it's software (gentoo) or hardware related.

Ned

Not sure how you'd check in Gentoo.

Is it an onboard nic or pci nic?

It wouldn't have to necessarily be a modem - it could be any device sharing the same interrupt. First thing to try would be to remove any pci cards and turn off as many other onboard devices as possible in the bios and see if that fixes it. It might not necessarily be a hardware issue, but it's worth considering.

Also, you could try a quick boot from something like a knoppoix LiveCD to see if it's reproducible on another OS - might help tell you if it's software (gentoo) or hardware related.

Ned
    PCI NIC. But I don't think a conflict is the issue. I mean, the internet works fine, it is just loading the homepage that is slow. Once loaded, though, opening up new windows to the homepage is usually ok. It is just that initial connection, and the exact website is irrelevant, afaik.

Although, even after applying some of those settings in about:config, I still find firefox to be slower on my Gentoo box, than IE is on my XP machine. Even on my XP machine, I find IE faster than Firefox. Firefox, imho, is not all that most crack it up to be.

OK, I have come to the conclusion that FIREFOX is the worst bit of software ever produced. It is slow, won't dl files I need for linux (yet IE in XP seems to have no problems), my homepage still doesn't load, and on top of that, general browsing tonight has been bad, again, no probs in xp.

So that only leaves two possibilities..................firefox is not good, which I strongly suspect, or I have some setting in gentoo wrong, despite following the handbook very closely.

HELP!!!

Edited: Please keep the potty mouth language out of the tech forums
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-06-2005 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Foul Language

OK, I think Firefox is the problem. I installed Opera, after much difficulty. It took me a gazillion tries with Firefox to dl Opera 8. It finally did dl the gz file. Once opera was installed, for curiousity, I dled the same file, did it in like 4 seconds FIRST TIME. IE was similar.

So I renew, unless anyone (edudlive, youda man ) can think of what I may have set wrong in gentoo networking, I am left with the conclusion that Firefox simply sucks ass.

How did you install Firefox? Did you use emerge or did you install from source? Considering you just installed Opera by source, if you did the same with Firefox you may have found some problem that was addressed using emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    How did you install Firefox? Did you use emerge or did you install from source? Considering you just installed Opera by source, if you did the same with Firefox you may have found some problem that was addressed using emerge.
    Yes, I tarred my Firefox install. Really shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Go into Firefox about:config, and set this value.

network.dns.disableIPv6 true

It is false by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryc
    Go into Firefox about:config, and set this value.

network.dns.disableIPv6 true

It is false by default.
    And you might want to turn off IPv6 support in the OS if it's enabled too - I know it certainly caused a lot of problems in Fedora (forgot about that one).

Not sure for gentoo, but in fedora it's done by adding the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modules.conf)

Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

And you might want to turn off IPv6 support in the OS if it's enabled too - I know it certainly caused a lot of problems in Fedora (forgot about that one).

Not sure for gentoo, but in fedora it's done by adding the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modules.conf)

Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off
    Whoa. HarryC has suggested setting network.dns.IPV6 to TRUE, which would ENABLE IPv6, at least as I would think, and you are saying to DISABLE it? I'm a little confused.
    Last edited by nuke; 05-06-2005 at 12:41 PM.