Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Firefox slow loading on Gentoo

Look closely - he's saying set disableIPv6 to true

It's set to false by default meaning IPv6 is enabled

Quote Originally Posted by Harryc
    Go into Firefox about:config, and set this value.

network.dns.disableIPv6 true

It is false by default.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Wow. HarryC has suggested setting network.dns.IPV6 to TRUE, which would ENABLE IPv6, at least as I would think, and you are saying to DISABLE it? I'm a little confused.
    No...read the option again - network.dns.disableIPv6

If you set that to true, you are in fact disabling IPv6.
    Last edited by Harryc; 05-06-2005 at 11:55 AM.

I think my brain ceased. I hit it with some WD40, and she's up and running again. Yes, ty.

In gentoo, that alias command should probably go into make.conf perhaps?

BTW, what is IPv6??

One more edit, do Opera and Mozilla disable IPv6 by default? Cause I don't have the same issues with them. Just Firefox.

And PS, I didn't mean Wow, I meant Whoa in my original post. Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be a wise ass, if you thought that, cause the Wow could give that impression.
    Last edited by nuke; 05-06-2005 at 01:44 PM.

BTW, what is IPv6??
    Internet Protocol Version 6. The previous standard is IPv4 I believe. It can cause connection problems when trying to route using IPv6 through routers that don't currently support it.

Mind you, not sure if this is necessarily your problem either if it's only the initial connection to your default homepage that's slow. Each connection attempt to an affected site should be similarly slow (unless it's picking it up from your local cache)

Ned

Well, I do notice Firefox does not seem as quick overall as Opera of Mozilla 1.7.7. But the homepage is the worst offender.

Well, I do notice Firefox does not seem as quick overall as Opera of Mozilla 1.7.7. But the homepage is the worst offender.
    What sort of delays are you getting - just a couple of seconds, or more like 30-60 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    What sort of delays are you getting - just a couple of seconds, or more like 30-60 seconds?
    The homepage...........yeah 20+seconds.

After that, sometimes Firefox is quick, sometimes not. To check to see if it is my connection or somthing, I try either IE on my other box, or since I installed over browsers on Linux, either Opera and Mozilla, and they seem much quicker.

Some pages can take 10-15 seconds with Firefox. Not all the time, but enough to be VERY annoying.

If Opera and Mozilla did it with the same frequency, I'd blame myself, as I'm a linux noob who started off with Gentoo...........but it seems to be confined to Firefox, so I am guessing it is a setting or my install.

How do you completely remove a tar install of Firefox? Perhaps I should remove it, and emerge it instead and see what happens. That should rule out a bad install.

That would fit the IPv6 problem - it appears to be fairly random depending if you've been routed to the site in question through a non-IPv6 internet gateway/router. Try disabling it system wide in /etc/modules.conf

Ned

You should be able to just emerge Firefox on top of the tarball. If there are any configuration files in the /etc directory that may need to be replaced/updated/checked or whatever, they will be added to the directory with ._cfg0000_ added in front of the config file name. So if you have a firefox.conf file in your /etc directory, emerge will make a file called ._cfg0000_firefox.conf. Note that since this new file name starts with a period, the file will be hidden unless you use the ls -a command to view it.

If it does create those files, then I'd open both the ._cfg0000_<name> file and the original config file and compair the two. Then I'd probably delete the original one and rename the ._cfg0000_<name> so it looses the ._cfg0000_ part of the name.

Now, I don't actually think you'll have to worry about this with Firefox, but it's a good idea to check just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    That would fit the IPv6 problem - it appears to be fairly random depending if you've been routed to the site in question through a non-IPv6 internet gateway/router. Try disabling it system wide in /etc/modules.conf

Ned
    Hmm, I haven't done much with /etc/modules.conf. I don't load many modules, I compiled most of what I need into the kernel.

What distro are you using?

Hmm, I haven't done much with /etc/modules.conf. I don't load many modules, I compiled most of what I need into the kernel.

What distro are you using?
    This is on Fedora. I needed to add the following two lines to /etc/modules.conf (actually it's /etc/modprobe.conf on fedora) to disable IPv6:

alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

But it's probably different on gentoo.

There's some gentoo documentation here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_IPv6

Gentoo seems to use the USE FLAG for IPv6 support. A google seach threw up some stuff but I didn't see how you turn off IPv6 in gentoo. Maybe a gentoo user here can tell you.

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-06-2005 at 04:39 PM.

net-pf-10 and ipv6 are kernel modules, so if they don't show up in lsmod, there aren't doing anything.

Unless they are compiled into the kernel (which they shouldn't be if you don't want ipv6).

and modules.conf is used to mostly setup alias' which is only used to make life easier, but there is no point in editing it, as it is automatically generated. On gentoo the network protocol changes should be made in /etc/rc.conf. IPv6 is disabled by default.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

No, they aren't showing up in lsmod, so that isn't the issue. Hmm I don't know, now I see Opera and Mozilla are acting slow here as well.................I wonder if it has something to do with the adds................Opera is taking along time to show the banners?

I'm really confused. Browsers work well, then they don't................and it isn't my connection, cause I test everything against IE in XP.

So, maybe I have a setting issue in gentoo somewhere.

Provicemo, any thoughts?

How do the ping times compare?

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    How do the ping times compare?
    Between the different browsers, or between my linux and xp boxes?

If the former, how do I check that?