Hybrid View

Athlon 64 Rev F Changes

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=132

What do you all think about AMD possibly changing the processor socket and implementing a DDR2 memory controller?
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: Athlon 64 Rev F Changes

If the technical changes are a "requirement" to continually stay ahead of Intel, great!

At the same time, I was also disappointed in that I've purchased an SLI based 939 motherboard in anticipation of using this for a while longer (although a year isn't bad, just wanted to stretch it even further). I guess it depends on what their socket 939 roadmap continues to look like in the future even if they release an M2 socket. Interestingly, it looks like the 754 socket appears to have life till 2006 according to the slide as well and may be even somewhat longer if I'm reading the graphic correctly.
    HighTest
    -------------------------------
    Click on my system specs

yeah, that's what it appears to me. Of course, that graphic you are looking at is for the DIY market, in the same presentation, the S754 was gone much ealier, replaced by the S939 platform. This gives OEMs a single platform and therefore easier integration, etc.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

I am confused...so is Rev F the Venice core?
    SYSTEM 1//
    DFI UT 250GB//A64 Mobile 3000+ 1MB cache// 280 X 9// Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1GB @ 252 FSB @7-3-3-2.5//ATI X800XT PE 550/560 //2 X 36GB Raptors, 160GB Sammy Data Drive//Audigy ZS Sound card
    Watercooled....Powered by Fortron 530Watt//23K 3DM01
    SYSTEM 2//
    EPoX 9NDA3J// A64 3000 Venice 300 X 9 @1.45V// KingMax SuperRam 3700 @ 250FSB //512MBX2 @7-3-3-2.5 @ 2.8V//ATI 9800Pro//Audigy2 ZS//Hitachi 80GB SATAII//Maxtor 250GB Data Drive//Zalman Air cooled...Powered by OCZ 450 Modstream
    Heatware

No, that was Rev E. From this information in that article at least, Rev F looks to be a much more dramatic change.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

That's kinda swanky, except for the new socket adoption next year.
    More importantly, it does make you wonder more about the socket 754 support for future dual-core. I do think, however, that AMD would have to dumb down such a core to get two die in it and get reliable/realistic performance. Probably 32-bit dual core, A64 single core (socket754), and then obviously anything dual-channel will eventually be purely dual-core as well. I see a good reason to drop socket 754 A64 support, and roll it over to 32bit dual core. If anything of it makes sense, of course. Hey, if anything else, this gets people talking about all the confusing cores. LOL.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

aaah i see what you sayin...So when is Rev E gonna be available??
    and how is rev F available when there aren't any Amd DDR2 mobos??
    correct me if I am wrong
    SYSTEM 1//
    DFI UT 250GB//A64 Mobile 3000+ 1MB cache// 280 X 9// Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1GB @ 252 FSB @7-3-3-2.5//ATI X800XT PE 550/560 //2 X 36GB Raptors, 160GB Sammy Data Drive//Audigy ZS Sound card
    Watercooled....Powered by Fortron 530Watt//23K 3DM01
    SYSTEM 2//
    EPoX 9NDA3J// A64 3000 Venice 300 X 9 @1.45V// KingMax SuperRam 3700 @ 250FSB //512MBX2 @7-3-3-2.5 @ 2.8V//ATI 9800Pro//Audigy2 ZS//Hitachi 80GB SATAII//Maxtor 250GB Data Drive//Zalman Air cooled...Powered by OCZ 450 Modstream
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by UNhooked
    aaah i see what you sayin...So when is Rev E gonna be available??
    and how is rev F available when there aren't any Amd DDR2 mobos??
    correct me if I am wrong
    Rev E is starting to see light now. Rev F won't be around for quite some time, looks like mid 2006 at best.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

A few months before they release the FX M2 125W, I'm sure they'll edit the A64 thermal solutions tech doc as 125W is quite a lot more than 104W of the current FX's.

Also, the thermal solutions tech doc was the first one out for the public before Athlon64's hit the market back in 2003.

I know the dual core will be 939 ... that will keep me busy for another 2~3 years :-).
    San Diego 3700+ (11x250 !!)
    DFI Ultra-D
    2x512 Mushkin Level2 Black - BH-5!! (2-2-2-6!)
    2x Sata 10k Raptors
    BFG nVidia 6600GT OC