Welcome to the first installment of the PC Perspective Forum's Enthusiast Computing Contest! With these contests, hardcore PC enthusiasts will be able to show off their skills in overclocking, benchmarking and more in an attempt to win prizes sponsored by various memory, motherboard and processor manufacturers.
Volume I: 4/26/05: The PC Perspective and Corsair Memory Overclocking Contest
The premise is simple: overclock your memory bus as far as possible, validate your results with CPU-Z and win some awesome prizes!
There are technically two seperate competitions being run in this contest; one for DDR and one for DDR2 memory. The goal is not to achieve the highest processor frequency, but to achieve the fastest memory frequency at the lowest timings. Since this contest is being sponsored by Corsair Memory, that only makes sense.
A big thanks goes out to Corsair Memory for sponsoring our first PCP Forums contest! If you are looking for an easy way to stay up to date on the latest trends in memory technologies, then you should take a look at the Corsair Currents Newsletter and sign up for it on the front page of the Corsair Memory website.
Rules for entry
DDR Competition Prizes
- You MUST be using Corsair memory in order to participate in the contest
- You MUST use the latest version of CPU-Z (see below) and have the results validated (see below) in order to enter
- You MUST have an account at the PC Perspective Forums in order to post your entry
- You are only allowed to post a single entry, so make sure you do your best overclocking before submitting!
- Voltages mods and all other heavy mods are completely legal and welcome!
- Overclocks prior to the posting of this contest are invalid -- all entries must be original and dated after today.
- You SHOULD visit the Corsair Memory website and subscribe to their newsletter (they are sponsoring the prizes after all!)
DDR2 Competitoin Prizes
- First place (1 winner): Choice between 1 GB of Corsair's XPert 3200XL DDR memory or Corsair's COOL water cooling kit
- Runner up (2 winners): Corsair 1GB XMS3200XL memory kits
Directions for entry
- First place (1 winner): Choice between 1 GB of Corsair's XMS2 DDR2 memory or Corsair's COOL water cooling kit
- Runner up: (1 winner): Corsair's COOL water cooling kit
The contest will run for two weeks, ending on May 11th. As always, we reserve to right to change the rules, void any submissions we feel are fake, hacked or cheated. Just covering our tails!
- Download CPU-Z 1.28.3 from this link
- Overclock your system!!
- With CPU-Z open, hit F7 to generate a .CVF file in the same directory as the executable
- Go to the x86-Secret validation page at this link
- In the name field, use your PC Perspective forums username with "Vol I" at the end
- Browse to the newly created .CVF file and click the validate button
- Post the link (like this: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=14330) in this thread as your entry
- This validation process is required to avoid the many cheats and hacks possible in this kind of contest -- sorry for the hassle!
Have fun and good luck!! If you would like to find some information on how you can overclock your system and win some prizes, be sure to check out PC Perspective's various forums, such as our overclocking forum or our forums on AMD and Intel processors.