I Just Realized Why I'm A Moderate

I always knew that I was. When I take political tests to measure where I place, I always come out moderate. Even though some super ultra-conservatives believe there's no such thing as moderates (you know, the conservatives who think there are only extreme right wingers and communists in the world). It's always been obvious to me but I could never explain it.

But now, I realized why!

Conservatives typically believe that a person should be solely responsible for themselves. They adhere to strict rules and tradition and believe in sink or swim. If you can't swim, then oh well, you sink! They believe in no social programs, tight spending, and small governments with unlimited rights to each individual.

Liberals typically believe that the government should be responsible for it's citizens. They are usually more tolerant of bending rules and tradition. They believe strongly in safety nets being built to catch people to keep them from falling. They believe in many social programs, extravagent budgets, bloated governments and tight regulations.

But I, on the other hand, believe that a person should be responsible for themselves up to a certain extent, then the government should be responsible for them (i.e.: a person that has a mental illness should not be forced or trusted to get a job to pay for treatment for their mental condition). I adhere to some strict rules and believe one ought to learn to swim, but that's not possible in 100% of cases. I believe in some social programs, where there is no alternative, but I do not believe in wiping someone's behind because they're too lazy to reach back there. I believe in catious spending but not cutting one's throat to keep from spending ten cents. I believe in a medium sized government with more power to the local government than the federal. I also believe there needs to be well defined standards but everything doesn't need to be regulated. I also don't believe the average citizen can be trusted totally to act accordingly in society without any infrastructure.

The most important thing that seperates me from both conservatives and liberals is that I have an uncanny ability to actual listen to people. I can look at both sides of an issue and see where both sides are coming from (without necassarily agreeing with either side). I don't need to force my opinion or idealogy down someone else's throat, nor do I feel the need to shout down another person's point. It is this rare and unusual quality that I have that allows me to learn from the most talented of all political persuasions.

Ofcourse conservatives consider a person like me wishy wash, unconvicted, and standing for nothing. Oh well... *shrugs shoulders*

Just thought I'd share that with my wonderful PCPer family. Hey, I'm bored, so you should be bored too!
    Last edited by 'K-; 05-12-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fixing various spelling problems

Re: I Just Realized Why I'm A Moderate

"tight spending, and small governments with unlimited rights to each individual"

We have an American conservative government now and we don't really have any of the above. They may say this is what they value, but it is not so in practice.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between those two extremes K. There really isn't any one correct answer. Not one we'll all agree on anyway.

Enmore,

Quite true that somewhere in there lies the trust. Somewhere in there also lies quality legislation, but infortunately too few people in this country realize that.

I get what you are driving at "K". There is nothing more irritating than the programmed "positions" from either group. Ive said it before and Ill say it again....neither has a "lock" on being correct. When we witness what weve seen recently in Congress..."disagreement for its own sake"? I wonder how much listening and problem solving actually goes on. Example: Senate Committees that review this or that nominee. These guys are so self-enamored that the bulk of their time is spent pimping pet projects rather than actually satisfying themselves the guy isnt some raving idiot. They play to the camera. Better they move to Hollywood. They all make me puke.
    You have Delay on one hand who thinks hes Moses for Gods sake ...and Harry Reid on the other hand who is simply a grouchy old man thats still pissed the Dems didnt win the election. They talk "at" one another...rather than "with" one another.
    My politics? I dont wanta scrap existing social programs...I can live with what we have...but lean toward the states dealing with local problems.
    Social issues? Im not so much against change as I am the method. I dont like a guy wearing a robe to work telling us what the social climate should be....Id rather see traditional legislation. Judges shouldnt practice politics or pay any attention to what is going on now...better reflected by the legislative branch....where its supposed to be.
    Im big on strong defense. Foreign policy? Im more isolationist than what we see today. Id rather see us be self sufficient than play some policy blackmail/extortion game....I guess my heart doesnt bleed for the world.

You can see by the number of posts in the thread, how few people really have moderate views. Getting things done in Washington is difficult and I think that the freshman class had it right in pushing term limits. You have so many people entrenched in the status quo in Washington, that you really can't get anything done.

^^I agree with you. These guys make a career out of wasnt intended.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    I get what you are driving at "K". There is nothing more irritating than the programmed "positions" from either group. Ive said it before and Ill say it again....neither has a "lock" on being correct. When we witness what weve seen recently in Congress..."disagreement for its own sake"? I wonder how much listening and problem solving actually goes on. Example: Senate Committees that review this or that nominee. These guys are so self-enamored that the bulk of their time is spent pimping pet projects rather than actually satisfying themselves the guy isnt some raving idiot. They play to the camera. Better they move to Hollywood. They all make me puke.
    I agree, you just put it so much better than I could have

I think alot of us are alot more moderate than our responses to "hot button" issues might make us seem. We may have different ways to get there...but I know for fact many of us have the same "perfect America" in mind....and see thru alot of the politicians that represent us.
    IMO

I think alot of us are alot more moderate than our responses to "hot button" issues might make us seem. We may have different ways to get there...but I know for fact many of us have the same "perfect America" in mind....and see thru alot of the politicians that represent us.
    Spoken like a true moderate ...
    and, that's a good thing.
    The only difference between a madman and myself is...I am not mad.
    --Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    "tight spending, and small governments with unlimited rights to each individual"

We have an American conservative government now and we don't really have any of the above. They may say this is what they value, but it is not so in practice.
    Thing is, you can have two conservative "right" gov'ts...............one is a neo-conservative gov't like Bush, or more "libertarian" right, where there is strong economic conservative beliefs, but more liberal "social" values..........to an extent.

And of course, there are soft conservatives, who are essentially right leaning centrists or moderates. Blair is "close" to being a soft conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone

This is where Orang would say that it's really not a "true" conservative government right now and I agree with him.

This is where Orang would say that it's really not a "true" conservative government right now and I agree with him.
    Both Orang, and you would be absolutely correct.
    The only difference between a madman and myself is...I am not mad.
    --Salvador Dali