Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

AGEIA PhysX Physics Processor??

I have put together a preview of the AGEIA PhysX physic processor chip tha is currently being marketed towards the game developers and press for a possible laumch in Q4 of this year.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=140

Let me know what you all think!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: AGEIA PhysX Physics Processor??

Liked the Review. looks like AGEIA has found a place in the software world which makes me wonder why the heck theyd do something like this... Even though they arent directly competing with Nvidia and ATI looks like thier setting themselves up to be a Relic. If Either of the big time players Decide to jump into the market AGEIA couldnt compete in a hardware war. By making thier own hardware they must be very confident in thier software and in the belief that either Nvidia or ATI couldnt come up with the Software to trump them. My strategy Sell the PPU to both companies as a reference require them to use AGEIA software so the become the software standard so we can for go the pain of watching ATI and Nvidia compete to set one. OH and not to mention theyd make lots of cash without spending the cash on hardware developement

When I first heard of this I thought it was a great idea, but even at half that price point it's a though sell. As a stand alone card it will never sell enough to compel developers to use it. I'll take a wait and see attitude on this one. I think it will either bomb or the company will be bought out. Who knows though, "The way it's meant to be played" could take on a whole new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by PaternityTest
    Liked the Review. looks like AGEIA has found a place in the software world which makes me wonder why the heck theyd do something like this... Even though they arent directly competing with Nvidia and ATI looks like thier setting themselves up to be a Relic. If Either of the big time players Decide to jump into the market AGEIA couldnt compete in a hardware war. By making thier own hardware they must be very confident in thier software and in the belief that either Nvidia or ATI couldnt come up with the Software to trump them. My strategy Sell the PPU to both companies as a reference require them to use AGEIA software so the become the software standard so we can for go the pain of watching ATI and Nvidia compete to set one. OH and not to mention theyd make lots of cash without spending the cash on hardware developement
    I second that PaternityTest. When I first heard of the AGeia, I thought why not implement something like this either on a motherboard or GPU instead of adding another PCI card. It makes more since to implement them on a chipset rather than make another card.

Just my two cents

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Im sold. The thought of having such an interactive game will really (IMO) enhance the the experience for me. The biggest point made was the fact the once this is adopted and another compoany releases the next wave of processor/api the whole thing has to be done again. I love the idea of putting this in a console and i am rather dissapointed that we wont see it in the upcoming consoles. can you imagine if this can be incorporated into the mobile gaming market? Also, i can see ati/nv placing these chips on the same video card board. Although with dual gpu comin' out you can imagin how massive the card would be. Anyway, i enjoyed the review and look forward to upcoming videos displaying the capabilities of this ppu. I really hope it hits sooner than later.

update: I personally dont mind that you have to add a seperate card if it can make the game more enjoyable, but if this does hit, you never know... they might starat putting these chips on motherboards or video cards which will of course drive the price of the hardware. Its just a bit tough to put something like this out there when its an all or none kind of thing.
    Last edited by Mesh; 05-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.

u did it pretty fast r,compliments

leme see..dual sli cards,plus this.sweet.end of dream this piece is too pricey,it shouldnt go over 150usd when it retails.if its like 2 bills or over itll sit o nthe shelves..
    dan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I am not sure that AGEIA have the clout (or money) to gain the market penetration it would require to break the chicken/egg deadlock (and almost certainly not at this price point) but it's inevitable that high performance physics hardware will become standard on the PC. Either the CPU or GPU makers will add it to their armoury or these seperate cards will come down to an attractive price point - then we'll no doubt see DirectPhysics or OpenPL truly revolutionise the way games are made.

Imagine a next engines having graphics, scripting and physics built in, making a game now becomes almost exclusively content. Want a driving game? Generate the tracks, generate the cars graphics and physics model and your pretty much done. Want an FPS? Generate maps, add your player models and weapons with the associated physics. Obviously there will still be code to be written if only to link input with actions and implement the gaming rules (e.g. have to drive through these checkpoints or your FPS character can only take this much damage etc), but games will be less written and more created. Hopefully then games will go back to being about entertainment and less about features.

I for one welcome our new physics overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesh
    Im sold. The thought of having such an interactive game will really (IMO) enhance the the experience for me. The biggest point made was the fact the once this is adopted and another compoany releases the next wave of processor/api the whole thing has to be done again. I love the idea of putting this in a console and i am rather dissapointed that we wont see it in the upcoming consoles. can you imagine if this can be incorporated into the mobile gaming market? Also, i can see ati/nv placing these chips on the same video card board. Although with dual gpu comin' out you can imagin how massive the card would be. Anyway, i enjoyed the review and look forward to upcoming videos displaying the capabilities of this ppu. I really hope it hits sooner than later.

update: I personally dont mind that you have to add a seperate card if it can make the game more enjoyable, but if this does hit, you never know... they might starat putting these chips on motherboards or video cards which will of course drive the price of the hardware. Its just a bit tough to put something like this out there when its an all or none kind of thing.
    Of course adding this type of technology to a system will make gaming more enjoyable (Im total agreement with you), but I guess I am thinking of latency due to sharing another PCI slot. I am for the physics card, just thought it would be more productive to add it to a motherboard chipset or GPU.

Peace

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

this sort of thing will eventually be put into GPUs or CPUs, but AGEIA has a market for a while.

Nvidia and ATI cannot put this on their GPUs today or in the near future most likely.

You guys do realize that this thing is the size of an Opteron right? That is big. ATI and Nvidia can't afford the die space to integrate this thing...it's bigger than some of their GPUs for crying out loud! I don't think ATI or Nvidia would consider putting this in their GPUs until the 45nano process is up and running.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by Kmat
    Of course adding this type of technology to a system will make gaming more enjoyable (Im total agreement with you), but I guess I am thinking of latency due to sharing another PCI slot. I am for the physics card, just thought it would be more productive to add it to a motherboard chipset or GPU.

Peace

Kmat

It is pci express, too. look at the pins on top. one would switch the bracket to use pci express and no molex would be needed, too.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

I don't believe the cost will be a big hurdle to the computer gaming people. Most of us are at the age where these things are not that expensive. It's gonna be nice to have that kind of object interaction as I call it...making the gaming environment seem that real will suck people right on in. Once the PPU's are seen in action I believe it will be like a PCI express 6800 Ultra SLI at launch...hard/unable to get ahold of due to large demand. I guess we'll have to see what they have up their sleeve as far as the cards go. From what I saw there will be more than one model available also.

Nvidia 6600GT 146m transistors @.11 micron
    AGEIA PHYSX 125M transisors @ .13micron

Nvidia "with help of ibm "Is skipping .9 and going straight for .65 processing
    so make it 271 transistors on .065 micron process" well atleast thats the rumor"
    The 6800 is roughly 220 transistors sitting at .13 micron
    yup its doable on one board...

another shortcoming id like to point out why all the processing power and no bandwidth"in PCI form" to deliver it ...might as well run it in software through the CPU
    Last edited by PaternityTest; 05-25-2005 at 12:58 AM.

As far as console integration goes, there was no reason for Sony to include a PPU in the PS3 as Cell shares a lot of similarities with a PPU. Ageia's NovodeX will be able unlock a lot of the processing power in Cell's SPE's. I imagine some devs are going to go nuts with the physics on PS3 titles, especially on PS3 exclusives.

One of NovodeX's main advantages over other physics engines such as Havok is NovodeX is optomised for multithreading. Ageia sees themselves as a hardware company, and they are practically giving away licenses to Novodex. This is their foot in the door. The other trump card Ageia has is Epic's inclusion of Novodex in Unreal Engine 3. Many, many games are being built with UE3.

The web page linked below has a lot of Ageia info. Be sure to check out the the E3 demo videos linked there.

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/ageia_physx.html

It'll be a success once the games start appearing - how can be without something that gives you such immersive interaction - make you wonder what functionality is left to perform on the CPU as this will make it less important in the future (for games at least)

Anyway, this is what arcade machines have been like for years - with seperate dedicated processing units handing video, sound and processing
    Last edited by dnd; 05-24-2005 at 06:24 PM.

FX-55, 2GB, 8800GTX (650/1000MHz) @ 1600x1200 NATIVE
    3WARE PCIE 9650SE-2LP --> RAPTOR 150GBx2/RAID0

If they are successful they very well could become the 3dfx of physics cards. (If you could call that a compliment I guess ) So much of this reminds me of how 3dfx started with the voodoo1's (and later 2's) and how they really had to break into a market that didn't really exist. If 3dfx can do it surely theese guys can too!