Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: AGEIA PhysX Physics Processor??

Quote Originally Posted by saylor
    they don't have to win to be succe$$ful. they see where nvidia and ati are going, ageia gets there first and patents the hell out of it, and then gets bought out by the highest bidder.
    as long as the tech pops out in the open widely it doesnt matter where the mula goes

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

The more I dig, the more I see the PPU as playing "catch up" to the new processors in the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's a shame when I keep finding reasons why a sub-$500 gaming console is out running my $2000 PC.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I wouldn't fall for all that marketing stuff...

FX-55, 2GB, 8800GTX (650/1000MHz) @ 1600x1200 NATIVE
    3WARE PCIE 9650SE-2LP --> RAPTOR 150GBx2/RAID0

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    The more I dig, the more I see the PPU as playing "catch up" to the new processors in the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's a shame when I keep finding reasons why a sub-$500 gaming console is out running my $2000 PC.
    Very interesting...Are you saying the processors in the new consoles will out perform a PC with a PPU in physics processing?

For those that haven't seen the game Full Auto for the Xbox 360, check out this trailer. The graphics are ok, but the destruction is on a large scale, much more than something like HL2. I think we'll be seeing more of this sort of thing in the future....looks like fun!

I dont know exactly how the new console will perform, but from what i have been hearing from the developers, the PS3's cell processor in particular has the workings inside to out perform a PC with a PPU. What is even more interesting is that some games for hte PS3 are using the NovodeX API in them, meaning that the AGEIA people are aware of the power of the cell processor too.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I dont know exactly how the new console will perform, but from what i have been hearing from the developers, the PS3's cell processor in particular has the workings inside to out perform a PC with a PPU. What is even more interesting is that some games for hte PS3 are using the NovodeX API in them, meaning that the AGEIA people are aware of the power of the cell processor too.
    Good stuff, Ryan. Ageia/Sony announced at E3 that NovodeX was going to be for PS3 game developement. It ill be interesting to see how many games use it. Ageia made a similar announcement for the (then soon to be announced) Xbox 360 a while back. Also, since UE3 willbe used for games for both platforms, we know NovodeX will be used in those as well.

If many next-gen console games are going to be "physics'd up", I think that bodes well for Ageia since it could help drive demand for better physics in PC games.
    Last edited by Low Roller; 05-27-2005 at 03:48 PM.

While I know what you mean, my thoughts are this:

The more I read about it all, the more I wonder why I need an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $400 when I can add a $300 PPU to my PC and get all the same coolness.

Only the Xbox will even come close to beating the PPU to market. Even dev's don't have real kits yet from what I have heard. They're using Dual G5s I think. If PPU silicon is ready to go (and I would venture to say an ASUS model indicates it is), then they can turn the PC you ALREADY OWN into a near-Xbox360/PS3 killer. Plus, 100% more upgradeable than either of those.

Now I don't doubt on release that both consoles will beat PCs, and if Xbox360 has 15 games ready by the holidays, the PPU games on PC might not catch up till mid '06, but I don't see how either of them will be able to compete with a next-next-gen GPU, a PPU, and a dual-core box at the end of '06. I think their superiority will be short-lived, and the fact that you can keep upgrading your PC for less than $500 at a crack definitely equals more expense, but also more power, and the PC always wins the game selection battle IMO.

It's consoles that are making it easier for PC game developers to port to console, not the other way around. Console makers know PCs are always going to win that game. Any game developer that wants to showcase the latest and greatest in game features as part of marketing their game is going to be on the PC platform first (if not only), because that's where the latest and greatest tech will always be in the long run.

Let's wait and see - I think profit might have been a motivating factor in this move not just the 'love' *cough* for the technology
    Last edited by dnd; 05-27-2005 at 07:15 PM.

I'd sure love to play an updated version of the Playstation classic 'Destruction Derby' on something using PPU technology.

God what a mess that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    I'd sure love to play an updated version of the Playstation classic 'Destruction Derby' on something using PPU technology.

You can already - it's called "Flatout"

I think a sequel to a game like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction would absolutely rock with realistic physics.
    Last edited by Low Roller; 05-28-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnd
    You can already - it's called "Flatout"
    What, for the AGEIA PhysX PPU?

Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Low Roller
    I think a sequel to a game like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction would absolutely rock with realistic physics.
    There's quite a few really isn't there?

There's quite a few really isn't there?
    Yes, yes there is, LOL.

Ageia's Patents

I've dug up Ageia's patents for the PPU and a couple other things in the US patent office.

Patent# 20050075154 Method For Providing Phisics Simulation Data

Patent# 20050075849 Physics Processing Unit

Patent# 20050086040 System Incorporating Physics Processing Unit

Here's are the same three patent applications to the European Patent Office:

Patent# WO2005038560 Method For Providing Physics Simulation Data

Patent# WO2005038559 Physics Processing Unit

Patent# WO2005038561 System Incorporating Physics Processing Unit

Anyone care to decypher these?
    Last edited by Low Roller; 05-29-2005 at 11:12 PM.

yeah it means Ageia was first to patent this way of doing Physics processing basically