Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: AGEIA PhysX Physics Processor??

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain
    yeah it means Ageia was first to patent this way of doing Physics processing basically
    ahh thanks for the insight...

simple explantation for a whole lot of patent lingo

Quote Originally Posted by Low Roller
    Very interesting...Are you saying the processors in the new consoles will out perform a PC with a PPU in physics processing?
    I would imagine a PC with a PPU will seriously outperform PS3 and Xbox360, when it comes to the physics processing department. The fact that PS3 has licensed the NovodeXAPI only proves that the technology is sound, not that PS3 actually has the processing power of an actual PPU (e.g. even S3virge supported early D3D ). Like Ryan suggested though, maybe the PPU card (and especially the 2nd, 3rd, etc. generations of it) will be the one thing that will put PCs (way?) past the consoles again.

How about Carmagedon with this physics power...I want a newer version of that game anyway it was so much fun...just think of all the body parts!

yeah I can imagine what Burnout: Takedown would be like with this kind of technology

and RPG's, just to do things that make it appear more lifelike in any way possible

i like situations that are unpredictable when gaming with a wide range of things to see and do

Instead of making us buy PPUs, why not code the newer games to take advantage of dual-cores? Of course we'd have to buy dual-cores, but I'd want one anyway.
    AMD 9950 BE @ 3.0 GHz
    AMD 4870
    4 GB Corsair RAM
    Foxcon Mobo
    1 x WD Velociraptor 300GB
    1 x WD Raptor 74GB
    1 x WD 120GB
    Antec Case

"Pink hearts, yellow moons, green clovers, orange stars... That leprechaun's on aciiiid!"
    -Dave Chappelle/Black Gallagher

the CPU's not really the right processor for physics because its limited with what it can do with physics even with dual cores, a hardware based solution for physics can take the load off the CPU, kinda like GPU's do today for graphics and make games more realistic

I actually think the a PPU has an easier adoption path than when the jump was made from 2D to 3D graphics. From the software development side it's pretty easy; use the NovodeX API and your game will run with either the libraries or the PPU, whichever is present. You can publish games with no risk because the libraries are the least common denominator. Heck, the library is probably something that would eventually get licensed or replaced by DirectX.

So, why would a gamer want to shell out a few hundred bucks for a PPU on top of a GPU? My contention is that this is the wrong comparison. A gamer WOULD shell out a few hundred bucks for a PPU if it costs less than upgrading to a new CPU, mobo and memory. Games will always evolve and will always require more processing power. Your current gaming system is only "good enough" until a new CPU is released that's ~1.5-3x in performance, depending on your threshhold for cutting edge. When that time comes, you pay $500+ to upgrade, right? Well, spending half of that on a PPU would give you a significant gaming boost that would extend the life of your current rig, and would be transferrable to your next system.

Games would have two sets of system specs, one without a PPU and one with a PPU, because the CPU requirements would be quite different. Obviously this is speculation, but if the CPU performance life could be extended another year, I'd bet that a lot of gamers would buy a PPU. So on a short term decision, it actually makes sense. In the long run, however, it means that we'll be upgrading yet another component every few years as a PPU becomes an eventual requirement for gaming.

for me it depends on how many games have the technology in them

if they can get a lot of games to have the technology id be more likely to buy their hardware

at the moment its not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierFreeze
    Instead of making us buy PPUs, why not code the newer games to take advantage of dual-cores? Of course we'd have to buy dual-cores, but I'd want one anyway.
    I'm sure they will do that anyway, but for specific tasks like graphics, sound and physics, using dedicated hardware will always be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    I'm sure they will do that anyway, but for specific tasks like graphics, sound and physics, using dedicated hardware will always be superior.
    ^what he said...

for me it depends on how many games have the technology in them

if they can get a lot of games to have the technology id be more likely to buy their hardware

at the moment its not good enough
    Considering the first PPU won't be out for a while its not too suprising only about a dozen or so gameshave announced support. Don't forget, though, there will be a ton of games using the Unreal Engine 3, so its very likely those games will support the PPU.

Deciding if or when to by a PPU will depend on many factors, like pricing and game support. Deciding what price is right or when enough use it to warrant a purchase, well, that's completely subjective, and something each individual gamer will have to figure out for themselves.

yes I agree, there could be a lot more games than just the ones with the Unreal Engine 3 that support physics acceleration with a PPU, thats what im looking forward to really

yes I agree, there could be a lot more games than just the ones with the Unreal Engine 3 that support physics acceleration with a PPU, thats what im looking forward to really
    Here's a hint of games/developement houses supporting the PPU so far....

I think that's a prety good start for a product, at this point of time in its developement, which is pretty much vaporware.

yes i think so too

it would be fortunate if they could get a company like EA to make games for it