Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anything wrong with dell?

Can anyone give me at least 3 reasonds why not to get a dell desktop? just wondering, cause my friend's dad needs a new computer and i am willing to build it for him.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Re: anything wrong with dell?

mm..not upgradable,much.mm..crappier hardware mobo wise than the powerhouses out there...no o/c but i dont think his dad would venture..
    dan

ps build them a munsta man.convince them that its better this way.plus,another folder

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

1. They use cheapo parts making it easier for them to break down
    2. They use propietary power supplies so if that ever breaks down, there is no way to fix it.
    3. They are generic so his computer will have no uniqueness to it.

I can think of more I am sure but those are the first 3 to come to mind. I hate Dells. The family computer is a Dell and it is so annoying to use.

My Games Updated 9/12/05

Actually they are well built, but not geared towards the overclocker and only come in Intel Flavors. They use Proprietary pinouts for the front panel connections and power supply connections. If the power supply dies, you have to go back to Dell for a new one.

1. Restrictive configurations.
    2. Restrictive selections.

With building your own, it will cost roughly the same as a similar DELL, but at least you have more choice and flexibility of parts and customization.

I've built some computers and competing with DELL is always difficult... especially when they are perceived as the "name brand" and have such competitive price. Telling a common user / non-geek that a custom-built PC is better just because of parts just doesn't cut it a lot of the time.

Good luck!

- Jerky.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

but how well do they run? do they fail often?
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

From what I've seen at work (80% DELL stations), they're very good. We have old P2s up to P4s and they all run fine under "normal" business use.

I have an old Dell Dimension Celeron 533 at home and it still works after 8 years.

Of course the chances of failure increases with the demand on the computer. That holds true for any computer, Dell or not.

- Jerky.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

plz make the right decision.u dont want the son to hate u,right? all them games he wont be able to play while ole mans away :d
    dan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your

scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board

I have a Dell Dimention 4100 P3 1Ghz that's been abused by me, and now my sister for over 4 years. It functions perfectly fine. Whenever anyone asks me to build a PC, unless they want a bleeding edge powerhouse system, I point them right at Dell. They're very reliable, and with the new software they preload very user friendly. (No, I don't work for Dell )

Also, think of the headaches you'll save yourself. No "why doesn't this app work?" calls every two days. That's the biggest reason for me personally to never build another PC for anyone other than myself.

Also, the new line of Dells no longer use a proprietary power supply. I have a Dimention 2100 and my gf just bought a Dimention 4300 with an LGA P4, both have ATX standard PSs.

Also, why do people say they're not upgradable? The power supply ussue would be the only reason I can think of, but now that that's not even an issue, why not? Is the PCIe/AGP slot different? The CPU socket different? Same 4 DIMM slots as on my IS7 from what I can see, same IDE ports, and PCI slots.
    I like it when the red water comes out...

yea..hows the bios accepting stuff,then does it o/c

of no board

Stress upgradability. which means a longer lasting PC. When it does come time for an upgrade, a simple motherboard, cpu will make the pc like new. Also, when you need to replace parts, prices are way cheaper ,than having to buy those EXPENSIVE Dell parts.Dells cheap computers are a myth, they charge extra for EVERYTHING., including most of the software offered. Note that on the sub $300 PC only has a 48X Cd-rom and an upgrade to a crappy cdrw is $95, when for $60, when you build your own, you can have a DVDRW By carefully choosing your parts, you can get bonus software to load, and much better warranty, usually 3 years on most stuff. Even an economy build on your own ,is a much better deal than a Dell. Point out that most of the sub $800 Dell deals, are WITHOUT a monitor. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    plz make the right decision.u dont want the son to hate u,right? all them games he wont be able to play while ole mans away :d
    dan
    this is for his work computer....i doubt my friend will be playing any games on it ;p. Plus, he doesnt really game either. I guess i will talk with the dad and he will decide whether he wants a dell or not.

yea..hows the bios accepting stuff,then does it o/c
    The BIOS is perfectly fine, especially considering they're Intel chipset boards (none of the wonderfully finicky AMD boards ). I changed the HD (bigger), Video Card (better), NIC (worse ) in my Dell, still works fine.

...no o/c but i dont think his dad would venture..
    Edit: Just wanted to add that Dell also comes out with pretty frequent BIOS updates for their systems. Just type in the Service Tag, and you get a list of all updates (drivers/software/BIOS/etc.)
    Last edited by sesik; 05-26-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    I like it when the red water comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by sesik
    The BIOS is perfectly fine, especially considering they're Intel chipset boards (none of the wonderfully finicky AMD boards ). I changed the HD (bigger), Video Card (better), NIC (worse ) in my Dell, still works fine.
    A lot of the cheaper Dells ,don't even have an AGP slot. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by nark
    but how well do they run? do they fail often?
    1. The Demension line is like a test bed for the Optiplex line.

2. Dell uses different parts in Demensions instead of standardizing. The failure rate for hard drives in the Demension line is roughly 66%.

3. Dell warranties (on consumer systems) are only one year unless the Silver or Gold Service is bought; which in my opinion, is quite expensive.

I could only recommend the professional line of products for any type of reliable use. Those being Optiplex for the desktop, Latitude for the laptop, or the Precision workstations whether desktop or laptop.