Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: anything wrong with dell?

there u have it.no dell desktop,build it oy

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

My parents have bought Dells... frankly, if all a person wants to do is get email and surf the web than they are hard to beat when you catch a special. Are they gonna be as good as your rig? Hell no, but do they need it?

i hate my dell because of lack of upgradeability. 200 watt power supply. and no agp slot. the hard drive failed not long after we got it. and the BIOS has no overclocking features.

My parents have had this dell since, well, the P3 came out. It's still goin and does what they want it to do. It came with 128mb of memory, I upgraded to 256 for them. Yes, it's not a gaming machine, for for office use, it's perfect for my parents, and believe me, they do A LOT of office work.

Listing three reasons why isn't really going to explain why it is extremely inferior to a custom rig. Silicon-heads like ourselves are very in-tune to what's going on with hardware, and we also take a look at what OEMs are doing from time to time.

OEMs (like Dell), in a nutshell:

If you go for the bottom-end cheap ones, you're getting all discontinued products that have been also made as cheaply as possible, and with the bare-minimum required to boot your operating system. It's going to run slow, even by yesterday's standards. If you want to upgrade to any reasonable performance, the upgrades cost many times more what you'd pay normally. These boxes, also, as said, are known to be minimally upgradable, if at all. So the future-proofing index is dead at zero.

If you want to go for top-of-the-line, you're again, you're going to pay way more than a comparable rig that is custom-built. The control over what goes in it is also minimal. As far as compatibility, I believe Dell has a new line to answer this very problem of power, future-proofing, and compatibility, but you could spend alot less money by weighing performance of individual parts, buying them individually from a wholesaler, and building your own to achieve a much higher value, and with ultimate control. However, you've got to know what is what, and it takes alot of research. I say let the geek build it. Us geeks are great for that. It is much more worth it than spending money with really any OEM. I'll hand it to Dell for targeting the enthusiast/gamer market as they have recently. Good for them, but no way I'd drop that kind of cash for it.

Lastly, with an OEM, you've got to remember you've got a salesman talking to you. The rules of salesmen apply to this just as much as a car dealership. They will tell you anything short of outright lying. And if backed into a corner, will tell you that is how the manufacturer represents it. The geek will just be real. End of story.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I can only say that I'll never buy or recommend a Dell again. Just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 for my daughter for college. The dam thing didn't even come with a Windows XP CD!. What do if your install becomes borked?

Dell answer #1: use system restore
    Dell answer #2: use Dell's version of Norton Ghost (image must reside on hidden partitition). Since it doesn't come with a D: partition you have to burn all your data to CD prior to doing this. I'd love to have a D: partition but I'm not going to rebuild this thing as I'm not sure I could get it all working again. I just don't trust it.

Also, the laptop came with all sorts of AOL crap installed even though I specified Earthlink when I configured it (had to choose one). Also, some app on the box is spamming me with a fullscreen ad to buy Quickbooks. It booked out at about $1750 but I used a coupon to get it down to $1085. Plus, the dam thing only came with a Pentium M 1.6Gz proc.

My own HP laptop came with a Athlon Mobile XP2500+ and was only about $780. First thing I did was wipe the system, used the included Windows XP CD to install fresh, popped in the apps/drivers CD and it was done - a clean install with no spam crap.

I've got an acquaintance who wants to buy a desktop PC so I'm helping her use the HP online configurator to get one. She's non-tech, non-gamer so I feel this is a good route for her. I don't build PCs for anyone anymore. Many times, if you do, you become 24/7 tech support for them. I don't want calls in the middle of the night asking where the "any key" is.

Do you know where you can buy one of those keyboards with an any key? BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

1) Standard warranty for cheap systems is 90 days now, you have to pay for a 1+ year which is generally standard everywhere else. Dell makes replacement parts for machines out of warranty VERY expensive to make up for the initial low profit margin.

2) Lack of upgradablity -- no AGP slot in low end models, lack of memory slots for easier expansion, lack of places to mount extra HD/CDROM's.

3) You get what you pay for, a cheap Dell will be a throw away computer.

I refurb computers/laptops for a living, Dells are by FAR the most common DOA/scrapped computers of every OEM brand. Likewise, most clone machines we get are perfectly functional.

Quote Originally Posted by tdg
    2) Lack of upgradablity -- no AGP slot in low end models, lack of memory slots for easier expansion, lack of places to mount extra HD/CDROM's.
    Because you're buying a $300 Dimention 2400 with a Celeron to game on. And mine came with a full set of 4 DIMM slots, and space for 2 HDs in a mATX case.

Quote Originally Posted by tdg
    I refurb computers/laptops for a living, Dells are by FAR the most common DOA/scrapped computers of every OEM brand. Likewise, most clone machines we get are perfectly functional.
    That's just like going to an autoshop and them telling you that a Ford is soo much more unreliable than a Porsche; you have to consider the market size.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiles4
    . . .Just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 for my daughter for college. The dam thing didn't even come with a Windows XP CD!. What do if your install becomes borked? . . .
    I have no clue what kind of Dell you bought or where you bought it from that it didn't come with an OS CD. Everyone knows Dell = Intel + MS. Even my $300 2400 came with a XP Home CD (purple or blue CD with "Operating System: Already installed On Your Computer" written on it).

As for what happens when you mess up the system, it works just like any other Win CD. I deleted the Dell partition on purpose when I got my System (I wanted the full 40GB). And just for fun tried booting off the CD they gave me and load that up: worked like a charm.
    I like it when the red water comes out...

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

All the above is true, but there is one good thing about getting someone else a Dell. If they are a technophobe, and not easy to support, you can get them to call Dell instead of you.

Smile Re: anything wrong with dell?

Hey there,

I know it's been a while, but here I am. Anyway, before everyone starts bashing DELL
    also understand that you are the one they will come to when it breaks and they want it
    fixed. I have already had job offers for companies wanting me to jump start their stuff and
    build them this and that. I refrained for now before I am done with the "Service" since I do
    not want to be in a bad position. If you build it then you need to be able to offer them service. If it's a person you will be in contact with on a readily available basis then it should be no
    problem. However, I get hit up by people I do not even know that want tech support from
    networks to computers. You name it! Just a word of caution. Other than that. Have fun if
    you do choose the build option for them.

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nark
    Can anyone give me at least 3 reasonds why not to get a dell desktop? just wondering, cause my friend's dad needs a new computer and i am willing to build it for him.
    Three things....well here it goes....

1)Sub-standard parts.....I know that common among big companies but anywho. I bought an inspiron 5150 and within a month the power adaptor stopped working and the computer wouldn't turn on....(battery was dead) and it was almost two weeks before they sent someone to replace the motherboard.

2) When you call for tech help....no one speaks english. I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me.

3) 29% INTEREST!!! when you finance through them. that's a killer....

4) Don't plan on moving when you buy the computer while making payments....I'm in college and being in college you do a lot of moving around...well I sent Dell a change of address with my payments (there is a section on the bill where you can let Dell know of a change in the billing address) They never changed it so I didn't get another bill ever again...I kept calling and telling them that my address has changed and that I haven't been receiving bills... Well since no one speaks english they didn't understand what I was saying... I call 63 time.....JUST THE GET THE ADDRESS CHANGED!!! (Which never happened)
    On top of all that, the entire time they kept charging me late fee after late fee(because I wasn't getting the bills on time)....Sooo I told them that I would not pay any late fee at all. I gave them a check for the balance of the original financed amount and told them that the rest (which was about $400 in late fee) would not be paid ever. The thing that pissed me off the most is I received 6 past bills from Dell all at once after I paid it off...

Hope you don't get one from Dell. (learn from my horrible experience)

Ed

I have no clue what kind of Dell you bought or where you bought it from that it didn't come with an OS CD.
    I bought a brand new Inspiron 6000 laptop online from Dell.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Two recent Dell purchases provide a 'Dell OS Recovery CD' Creator tool, basically burns a CD of the xp setup including Dell drivers etc, if you stick it back in after you'll notice its essentially a windows xp copy...just remember to keep hold of the cdkey printed on the sticker on the side of the box
    Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.

egonzales, nice story, and a testament to how so many american companies get way too big for their britches, so they hire either dead retarted people, or otherwise intelligent ones in India who unfortunately can't speak english very well. The only thing they have in common is that the company is paying them close to nothing to work for them.

That's the exact kind of nightmare I've had with a phone company.
    And I take every chance to tell people about it. There is nothing that a company can do after displaying that degree of incompetance.

You're not the only one to get sub-par service from Dell. Guy I work with got a crash course in their utter incompetance as well.
    All tracing back to people who can't speak English, and people unable/unwilling to fulfill a customer's needs.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?