Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2 DUMB questions?

OK I got the PVR card installed, but I can't seem to get a video signal. I have the sat box hooked up to the card,and I know that there's a signal there, because I hooked it to a tv to check . 1. Do I absolutely have to have a remote control ,BEFORE I will see a video signal? Do I have to have additional software too, such as Beyond and Sage TV?My card is a Hauppauge PVR 500. The drivers installed ok. Doesn'tMCE have some kind of software, that will allow you to watch TV ,WITHOUT buying any additional software?Any help appreciated. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Re: 2 DUMB questions?

Did you plug the video cable into the correct port on the PVR-500? It has an internal splitter; one lead is for TV, the other is for radio.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

Yes I did ,and it seems I just found my answer. I HAVE to use 3rd party apps.BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

heard this is pretty good

free too
    Apple MackBook Pro Intel vers duel booted with Vista

Windows desktop system in work.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbonsl
    http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

heard this is pretty good

free too
    Is this compatable with MS MCE?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

not sure I have not tryed it

DW and others over at Elite Bastards seems to like it alot
    Apple MackBook Pro Intel vers duel booted with Vista

Windows desktop system in work.

It looks like it doesn't like Hauppauge cards. They don't even list my MCE500. A visit to www.snapstream.com let me try out beyond tv3 for 21 days for free. I am gonna buy a remote from Newegg, but I am not sure if thats my problem. It won't let you finish set up without one. I found the note about needing 3rd party software, way at the bottom of the cards specs. I keep getting a message, that video decoder is malfunctioning, or not installed in the little video window in set up. I checked in control panel ,and both tuners are there. I am gonna need the remote anyway. I was thinking about just going with the snapstream pkg for $99. There's 10% off until the 31st,too. In the beginning it kept sayingmy video card wasn't compatable . It's an X600XT MSI ,and is listed in the MCE component list.I know the cable from the Sat box has a signal, because I hooked a tv to it. I should have the remote by the middle of next week. Maybe the software has to see the remote, before it allows a video signal. I thought that I should at least be able to see video, and not be able to change the channel, but I guess not. I wish now, that I waited a little, and got the whole pkg from snapstream, instead of paying premium price from Hauppauge.$225 without anything else but the driver cd. BD51

wow,bum rap they sell something and dont provide software for it,especilly since th other versions can use wintv.

anyhows,after a little digging,i came up with some leads.

you can try this chris tv stuff.there is a lite version thats free and a standard version thats shareware.What i read it should work..http://www.allworldsoft.com/software...v-standard.htm

also,this place has some info-
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?...c268e18e5169d&

hope it helps-
    Biostar 790gx am2+
    Phenom II x4 720
    Sapphire Ati 4850(512mb)
    raid-0 x2 36gb raptors
    g.skill 2x2gb ram
    750 watt psu
    28 inch Hanns-g lcd monitor

UPDATE: I have Beyond TV 3 working without a remote. I am now wondering which remote would be better,the Microsoft one over at Newegg, or a Firefly remote from Snapstream. Snapstreams is an rf remote ,wich may be better,because the set top bx is in the other room.Microsofts is an ir remote,and that may be a problem,because the box doesn't have a ir port on the back.I know they have adapter cables ,o use the low speed data port, but they are $20 more, and besides, you get media basic with the Firefly remote. At least for now, I know the card is good. I wasn't totally thrilled with the picture though, it seemed grainy, but I'm sure here must be some settings I can change,to make playback a little better.Any input on a remote. Time for another keyboard, this one likes to leave out a few letters. BD51

I've used ther MS one, not the other, so I can't comment on it. The MS connects via USB so there's no problem there. It has t remote sensors as well with long wires. It integrates with MCE well also.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob
    I've used ther MS one, not the other, so I can't comment on it. The MS connects via USB so there's no problem there. It has t remote sensors as well with long wires. It integrates with MCE well also.
    Can you give me an idea of how long the wire is? how long is the usb cord? I figure I can run the blaster wire thru my closet(it's right behind the tv, and make the the remaining distance with the usb if it's long enough. I think I am gonna try the generic one at Newegg, it looks identical, except the MS one comes with 2 blasters, and I only need 1 anyway.and there's a $10 difference in price. I am also hoping I can kinda share the point on the front of the box, so they can still use the remote out there. Thanks for your input. BD51

If I remember correctly, the wire with USB and subsequent wire would give appx. 12'. Say, I have several extra remote sensors, you may be able to use them to splice more wire if needed, me thinks!

Spoiler!

That wouldn't be to bad. I saw a pic on another forum of the blaster, and it had a large bundle of wire with it. It was over at MS in a newsforum? Anyway the remote shows a 10-20' working distance, so I think It will be ok. I was checking at that forum, about it working with Directv receivers. I just typed in Media Center Remotes, in the search box, and it bought me to a forum with all kind of posts about MCE.2005 I know they say Firefly works with MCE, but I suspect it's with THIER interface,and not MCEs, using the basic software that comes with it. I really like BTV3,and will probably buy that, when my trial is done. I like the MS remote, because it doesn't have a million buttons. I am going to be at my pc when using MCE anyway, so I can easily access my other apps. I really expected a better playback, but maybe there's some tweaks to get it looking better. I have a 19"flatpanel.I really expected to be able to see video without the remote on MCE, but setup stops there, unlike set-up for BTV3, that allows the keyboard/mouse option. Oh well., I knew this was a learning experience anyways. Glutton for punishment I guess BD51
    Last edited by BIGDADDY51; 05-29-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51
    Oh well., I knew this was a learning experience anyways. Glutton for punishment I guess BD51
    No kidding! Aren't we all??

Spoiler!

Downloaded 2 copies of BTV3, 1 on each drive, 1 with MCE2005, and 1 with just reg XP Home. It actually seems to do better on just the plain XP Home drive! The remote will be here tomorrow, and then I'll know if the setup will work. I opted for the cheapest one right now, the $29.95 one from Newegg. I am pretty sure that I'll be buying the BTV3 software, because I like the way it's setup. I'd rather have a hard copy though. More fun to come, and on the lookout for LARGE drives at special prices. The small window that has the TV while you are surfing the net,
    has an excellent picture on it at default settings. I'm guessing that the next upgrade is gonna be a keyboard I got my $5 out of this one. It's back to Logitech for me. BD51