Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250's any good?

Wanted some feedback on their reliability and durability.

TIA

Re: Are the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250's any good?

i've had 4 120gb's running 24/7 since their release, no problems / failures yet (unlike my previous 180gxps)
    Angels fall farthest...

I had a 7K250 fail after 4 months of 24/7 use on a RAID0 array - took the whole 500GB array with it - I'll never buy the Deskstar brand again - it's too 'hit and miss' (I had in the past the 120GXP (failed after 8 months) and 180GXP (OK for 12 months) )

I went for WD RAID edition because they are enterprise level drives (designed for 24/7 use) and they are faster than Deskstars in RAID configuration...
    Last edited by dnd; 11-04-2004 at 05:26 AM.

FX-55, 2GB, 8800GTX (650/1000MHz) @ 1600x1200 NATIVE
    3WARE PCIE 9650SE-2LP --> RAPTOR 150GBx2/RAID0

i think you mean aid
    Angels fall farthest...

I am using the 160GB Deskstars and they have been worked great for almost a year now. They are also quite fast. As for the cat noise some people talk about, I can not believe that actually bothers some people. I am not sure the newer drives even make that noise now? I was worried when I bought the drives about the noise but its sounds like a little kitten meow and it lasts only for a true second. Honestly I have found western digital drives to be more annoying noise wise. I mean when you read on newegg you would think the thing was meowing for 10 minutes. Anyway my drives have functioned and performed great. Good luck on your research.
    My Rig

Abit NF7-S 2.0 BIOs: D23-3D-Fire-R2
    AMD Athlon XP 3200 200 FSB Barton
    Custom Water Cooling System with Video Card Cooler
    2 GB Patriot PC3200 Memory

750GB Western Digital Hard Drive

Gecube 1950XTX 256mb Video Card
    Creative Audigy2 ZS Platnium
    Sony 16x DVD-ROM
    Plextor PX-740 DVD Burner
    Thermaltake 700Watt PSU
    Windows XP Pro
    Coolermaster Stacker 830

Thanks gents. Looks like it might not matter after all. The only ones they have on stock here ar 80GB SATA drives with a 2MB cahce. My heart is kind of set on a 8MB cache model.

Good idea. I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8 meg cache.

I have the 250gb 8mb buffer sata version. Its very fast, very quiet, and 100% reliable.
    I also have a gxp 60 thats been running fine for years.
    Ive had problems with WD and maxtor drives in the past.
    A good review is here http://www.storagereview.com/article...5VLSA80_1.html

the problems is that theyve made several suicidal units,so general trust,at least with some ppl,has gone way down.i wouldnt really buy hitachi,followed by seagate and maxtor.wd is ok,not as it used to be.samsung A1 at the moment (and in teh past,only thing is that its not that popular )
    thnks

ps scratch of death anyone?.ive still got nightmares lol...my compies are allways on,imagine waking up after hours of ch scratxchhhhh chhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    the problems is that theyve made several suicidal units,so general trust,at least with some ppl,has gone way down.i wouldnt really buy hitachi,followed by seagate and maxtor.wd is ok,not as it used to be.samsung A1 at the moment (and in teh past,only thing is that its not that popular )
    thnks

ps scratch of death anyone?.ive still got nightmares lol...my compies are allways on,imagine waking up after hours of ch scratxchhhhh chhhhh
    Here in Baltics, Samsung has the worst reputation out of all HDD's (along with the previous IBM Deathstar generation, of course). I don't know, that's maybe because they make worse quality products for the region of Eastern Europe (or maybe that's basically a conspiracy theory, nothing more), but I've heard mostly bad things about Samsungs.

Personally I settled with 2 160GB Seagates recently, so far they seem to be very nice, plus they have NCQ support as well (I'm aware that it basically does nothing significant, moreover, because nForce2 doesn't support NCQ), but that marketing still catches me somewhere )

too busy to overclock

currently, its hit and miss on all the drives. If you just keep asking around on the forums, some people will say they have problems with the hitachi drives, others will say they have problems with maxtor, and yet others will say they got problems with WD. This is the same for all manufacturers. They cant ALWAYS produce perfectly working drives all the time.

I have the 200 GB 7k250 drive and it has been working for several months now without a hitch. i've been using 3 maxtor 40 gigs for over a year now without a problem. My dad has an 80 GB and a 60 GB maxtor that have been 100% operational. My mom, though, lost her maxtor along with the rest of the system. But it was a power/psu problem and not the fault of a faulty drive.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Was actually looking to get a 80GB 8MB cache Western Digital Caciar SE, but there are none in stock. Onyl the 40GB's and 160GB's.

Well the Seagates are the most common around here so wont have a problem finding one, and they do come with a 5 year warranty. Or maybe stick with Maxtor. Been through 5 maxtor drives. One was RMA'ed after three days but the other 4 are still all working. One of them is almost 4 years old.

weird..could indeed be conspiracy to make ppl buy other brands..my cousin deals with pc parts a lot and his finding coem nowhere close to them beeing bad over there...

Most of the stores here carry a full range of Seagates and very small offerings of other drives. Hald the stores carry nothing but Seagate.

from what i have read, it was an earlier model of the Deskstars that had alot of problems. I too was skeptical before buying mine, but now that i have it and it has been running 24/7 for a few months, i am no longer worried. Very quiet, plenty fast.(Deskstar 7K250 250GB 8M Cache)
    AMD Opteron 170 *Naked* CCBWE 0543TPMW 2.8Ghz (280X10) / DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D / eVGA 7800 GT CO BIOS Modded to 1.5v - Swiftech MCW55 / 2GB OCZ Platinum EB 3-3-2-7 1T / Sound Blaster X-Fi / Swiftech Apex Kit with Storm G4 / OCZ Powerstream SLI 600W PSU / Plextor 716SA SATA DVD Burner / 74GB SATA Raptor 10K rpm / 250GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 / Thermaltake Armor / Samsung 940B DVI / Logitech MX1000