Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Guy Needs Help!!

Ok, my samsung 120gig took a dump the other morning, and i could not for the life of me get it to restart. had an error message involving vgaoem.fon missing or corrupt. my xp disk would not work and i couldn't fix it. fast forward to today, i got a new drive, a seagate 160gig, and am trying to set that up. i think i did ok. found another xp disk from on of my laptops, and used that. i repaired the old drive with the other xp cd also. These drives are both sata by the way. what i would like to do is keep my new drive as the main drive, and the samsung, i'd like to temp. set it up so i can pull some important things off of it. can i just hook them up, both sata, and that's it? I didn't think i had to mess with any jumpers on the sata's. Any suggestions?

Re: New Guy Needs Help!!

You shouldn't need to set any jumpers. Hook the main to SATA0 (or 1 if there is no 0) and the next spare drive on 2.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

it's saying file segment *** is unreadable

When, at boot?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

yes. it did it like it would do when scandisk starts.

also, it just finished, and started up. I see both drives, but can not open the old drive. it says it must be corrupt or something. is ther ANYTHING i can do to fix this? I have system works, if that might help. I really can't lose some things on that drive.

Can you see it from within Windows Explorer on the good drive??

Spoiler!

when i go into my computer, it does show up. but when i click on it, it gives me the error message.

Can you unplug the other (good) drive, reboot and do a repair of the bad drive??

Spoiler!

i can try, again. I had a problem with that in the first place. I fixed that vgaoem.fon file, but it always kept saying that the computer didn't shut down properly, and I can boot back up in safe mode, last good xp configuration, or start up normally. is there anything i can do differently this time? I really can't lose this info. thanks for all the help.

If I were to try to repair the old windows on the old drive, what is the command, or commands I would type in?

Here is a good visual:
    Set to boot from CD and put in XP. At this screen, hit Enter. DO NOT HIT R

F8 to continue

Now hit R!!

Lots more info is available Here!

Spoiler!

holy crap! I'm going to try that on the old drive right now. thank YOU!!!

U Betcha! [fingers crossed]

Spoiler!

haha, mine too

Ok, where you say to hit R, my screen is different than yours. Mine is about the partitions on my drive.