Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: New Guy Needs Help!!

You have one SATA with a good install, right? Windows should boot to that automatically.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Sorry yes not really a slave. Meant attached the drive to the system with the working OS drive and be sure you set the boot order to boot from the working OS drive. Does it boot like that?

yeah, actually i just started the good drive up, and i open my computer, and it shuts down, then it restarts and says it recovered froma critical error. im not having much luck with this computer lately.

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse
    yeah, actually i just started the good drive up, and i open my computer, and it shuts down, then it restarts and says it recovered froma critical error. im not having much luck with this computer lately.
    So when you have the drive attached to the working Drive with a OS on it the system crashes when you open My computer?

Try this, see what happens instead of opening My Computer, right click the My Computer Icon on the desktop then go down to manage look for Disk Management tell us just how the drive is listed if it is at all.

Ok, just restarted the computer, with both drives connected. here's what happened:

[IMG][/IMG]
    and it's still going

Ok, i went into the computer management. c drive, the new drive, is basic, ntfs, healthy system, 126.99GB free. is that correct on a 160gig?

F drive, the old one, says it's 100% free space. how the hell can that be? Never was formatted... that also says healthy, but active

Yes, that's right for size.

So, do I understand you.....there is no data anywhere now????
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

how could there be nothing on the old drive? I never took it off. all this from the damn vgaoem file. what do i need to do to make sure there is nothing or something on the old drive?

in this computer management, if i go to explore the old drive, it says it's not accessible, a file or directory is corrupted and unreadible.

I'd encourage you to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on that drive right away.

The old drive, did it have Win XP installed on it?

Spoiler!

yes. xp pro

I still suggest this:
    Try to repair the installation using the instructions I gave you. Do this with the new drive unplugged. If it cannot find the install, DO NOT FORMAT! LET IT INSTALL WINDOWS. YOUR DATA SHOULD BE STILL THERE.

Spoiler!

ok. i think the new drive with the xp installed is not working properly. it freezes, shuts down, and is slow. i dont' think i have a good copy of xp anymore.

Well, that's a problem! You can re do that install using the repair function as well.
    Before we go further....is this rig overclocked??

If not, fugget about that new drive and just repair the old drive install.

Spoiler!