Question 3.4GHz P4 Proc 650 (EM64T) vs. 3.6GHz P4 Proc 560

Okay the wife did me in with her pick for a laptop and it is Intel powered. Since my limited knowledge is mainly AMD, need some help on what I’m getting. Price has dictated selection of CPU and it is down to two critters, the above-mentioned 3.4GHz P4 “Processor 650 (with EM64T)” or the 3.6GHz P4 “Processor 560”. My experience with the Athlon stuff says, “Numbers are not everything (GHz wise)”. So am I getting “more” with the 3.4 (+$34) than the 3.6?

Re: 3.4GHz P4 Proc 650 (EM64T) vs. 3.6GHz P4 Proc 560

First you need to consider a few things.
    - What do you guys want to use the lappy for? Gaming, Desktop Publishing, etc.
    - What features do you need? Wireless, Good battery, PCMCIA, etc.
    - How long do you want it to last (before you get a new one)

This would help us to help you. The more detail the better.

For a start, I'd suggest going for a Pentium-M as opposed to a Mobile Pentium 4. The Pentium M when combined with an 855 chipset and Intel ProSET wireless gives you the Centrino platform. Good for battery, heat and wireless connectivity (and the Pentium-M's have lots of grunt). I strongly suggest you get friendly with the Intel site ASAP (the products section - notebooks and CPU's).

Maybe provide links to what you're looking at so we can help you nut out the pros and cons...

http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm

Checkout the Aviator EX7, originally I had spec'ed a Sager like the Aviator AX7, but my concern was with the ATI mobile 9700Pro for graphics and the possibility of non-dual channel for the memory. For the boss lady (it's her money ) appearance is foremost with the other things falling into place. Hence going with Hypersonic as she is after the custom paint and airbrush job.

The system is to be a desktop replacement (reason for 17" screen) that will only be moved on occasions and use AC primarily for power. The wife's games are not all that graphic intensive, but once she get into "playing" I can see some "newer" stuff coming in. (I may try to sneak HL2, Halo, and a few others on it ). Other than that it is business apps, surfing, and some digital photo stuff. Not really sure about the wireless thing yet as she will be "wired" to the router.

Also because the custom paint job will be hard to resale, she plans on using it for quite some time. So I guess we are looking for high-end graphics (mobile 6800 Ultra) and processor for now and in the future.

However I do have a concern for the mobile P4 as I have heard some horror stories about the heat issue it is supposed to have.

Definitely open to suggestions!

Definitely get a Pentium-M instead of the P4. Dell offers a few high end models with P-M chips and GeForce 6800 mobile graphics, as do others.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe
    Definitely get a Pentium-M instead of the P4. Dell offers a few high end models with P-M chips and GeForce 6800 mobile graphics, as do others.
    Ah yes, but do they offer the 17" screen with custom paint job?

My real frustration in this decision is the fact I can't the 6800/X800 league of gpu with the AMD A64 in a lap top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 06-02-2005 at 05:24 PM.