I am thinking about an opteron system, could use some advice

I am a long time Intel enthusiast and have ventured into A64 land a few times, but seem to always feel more satisfied with the multitasking abilities of the hyperthreading P4's. I am going to build another rig soon, maybe I can find the best of both worlds with an opteron PCI-E rig I am contemplating. Here are the three major components of it:

Opteron 252 "Troy" processor

Foxconn mainboard

OCZ ECC Ram

I choose this because this is the only thing I could think of that would give my HT P4's a run for their money, and it is the only PCI-E 940 board around that I know of. Foxconn makes a good product unless you are an extreme overclocker, which is something I have gotten away from. I would prefer buying a larger chip than waste time trying to push a smaller one anymore.

I see the Dual core "Italy" chips are out, they are considerably more expensive and run a slower ghz rating, are they worth it performancewise? Or am I better off waiting for the dual core 939 chips to emerge rather than the 940 platform?

Edit: MODS, maybe this belongs in the AMD subsection?
    Last edited by Trucker61; 06-03-2005 at 12:55 PM.
    Heat

Driving a one stack Mack with a window in the back.

Re: I am thinking about an opteron system, could use some advice

Ever consider dual cpus?

That 252 is an extra unutilized expense in that system. I'd submit there's no reason to go 2XX on opterons unless you plan on a dual cpu system. One 252 will gain you little as far as multitasking compared to a single dual core X64.

The Asus K8N-DL has 2 opteron sockets, no SLI tho. Similar price to the foxconn board.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

That is what I was wondering, would I be better off waiting for the dual core A64 chips over the high end opteron. I gave up on overclocking a few months ago in favor of buying larger chips, for me it was money well spent considering the time saved always playing with smaller processors.

I have no interest in SLI, I chose that board because it is the only one available socket 940 that has PCI-E 16. I planned on keeping the ATI X800 XT that I have now.
    Heat

Well that K8N-DL gives you two processor sockets for just about $60 dollars more.

The X2 processors will probably give you more bang for the buck, especially since you can use them with unbuffered ram. I have no idea about availability and price tho. Dual core Opterons are still only available from AMD partners (Monarch), and it's depressing frankly.

Do you have needs for other PCI-E slots besides the graphics card?

What are your multitasking needs?
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

No other PCI-E hardware other than the Vid card. And realistically, I could sell that off and go back to AGP if the trip back was worth it, if I could gain considerable ground on processor power over my P4 rigs.

My multitasking needs are not complex, DVD decoding, digital video /photo editing, running a media player while doing these things, along with other light things like websurfing etc....

And of course, ing
    Heat

I'd try to wait for X2 availability then. In my mind there's no real benefit in going to Opteron unless you're gonna have more than one. I guess it depends on how long you can wait and when they're available.

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout
    I'd try to wait for X2 availability then. In my mind there's no real benefit in going to Opteron unless you're gonna have more than one. I guess it depends on how long you can wait and when they're available.
    I think that is probably what I will do, I am in no hurry to jump on anything right now, I will give it some time and see how those dual core chips pan out. Maybe someone will come out with a performance comparison between the opterons and the X2 chips then.
    Heat

There are a few comparisons out, and the X2's fare well against dual 2xx Opterons. Especially for situations you described. I'll dig around later today and see if I can find some links for you.

Take a Kid FISHING!

hey thanks ST! I see that Monarch is accepting pre orders for the X2's now. They have DC opteron 875's @ 2.4 ghz, wow can you imagine putting two of those in that Asus board @ 2600 beans a piece? that would be some expensive rig.............. (but impractical for my usage)
    Heat

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2.../index.x?pg=11

There's a pile of comparisons in that review.

Dual 252's still rock, but the X2's do damn well at considerably less cost.

Don't bother with 875's, 275's is all you need for a 2-way mobo.

Take a Kid FISHING!

For what you are talking about I would stay away from anything 940 socket. The entire Opteron 1xx series is going 939 socket so it can take advantage of the better boards in 939 series while less expensive. Add to that you can then use non-buff DDR and you have a VERY potent combo.

IMO....one of the best rigs you can buy is a MSI Neo4 939 and just about any 'E' stepping 90nm to get the box built quickly. Slap in some decent DDR3200 and away you go. Now you have the entire X2 upgrade path possible when your budget allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog
    For what you are talking about I would stay away from anything 940 socket. The entire Opteron 1xx series is going 939 socket so it can take advantage of the better boards in 939 series while less expensive. Add to that you can then use non-buff DDR and you have a VERY potent combo.

how did you hear about that? The opteron is made for stability. the 4-layer 939 boards and non-buff DDR does not offer enterprise-class stability. I think Opteron may got to a new socket with 939 pins, but it is NOT the current socket 939.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by steven975
    how did you hear about that? The opteron is made for stability. the 4-layer 939 boards and non-buff DDR does not offer enterprise-class stability. I think Opteron may got to a new socket with 939 pins, but it is NOT the current socket 939.
    This has been reported for awhile not widely but it's out there. Google is your friend! Your value point for a 939 1xx Opteron is the CPU is fully tested. An Opteron core is almost identical to a Athlon64 core. It isn't "built" for stability it's tested to prove its stability THEN it gets marked as an Opteron. That means everything has been benched and you pay for that. Add dual-core to that model and you get a better price / performance ratio for the workstation market and budget server.

The Athlon has a much smaller sub-set of testing to pass. This drives unit cost and for most consumer price is a big deal. Workstation / Server it's not as big a deal...it's about the guarnity.
    Last edited by Bullfrog; 06-10-2005 at 07:57 PM.

i have my doubts anyway. AMD is trying to differentiate opteron. if it is identical, it has almost no added value and A64s will be used instead.

Yes, I realize the FX was identical to opteron, but that was not the plan. The FX went to 940 because 939 was not ready.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case