Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dual DDR channels and 3 slots?

I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe with 3 slots for ram.... and I have 2 512 DDR 400's in it running dual channel...... How does the third slot fit into the equasion? Like should I get 1 gig DDR 400 for that? Or should I get another 512 since it is really working in tri channel..
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif

Re: Dual DDR channels and 3 slots?

Moving to the ASUS forum

If you look on this page and scroll down to the Memory section there is a few threads that go over Dual Channel on the board.
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...04&postcount=8

Quote Originally Posted by DustSmoke
    I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe with 3 slots for ram.... and I have 2 512 DDR 400's in it running dual channel...... How does the third slot fit into the equasion? Like should I get 1 gig DDR 400 for that? Or should I get another 512 since it is really working in tri channel..
    Slot 3 (furthest from the CPU) is in one controller, the other two slots are in another. If you have any memory at all in the two channels, it is in "dual channel".

It is optimal if both controllers are balanced with the same amount of memory, but as you can see from the links, it isn't necessary for dual channel to function.

Photos and much discussion at the links tmm pointed out:

Dual Channel 1

Dual channel 2

Dual Channel and 3 Memory Sticks

Dual Channel and Different Sized Memory Sticks

ok, so I should be getting a 1 gig stick of DDR 400 to match my other 2 512's.

Like Senor P. stated that would be the most optimal option.

Slots 1 and 2 share the same memory controller.
    Slot 3 has the other controller to itself.
    That is why for dual-channel you can have any of these combinations:
    Slots 1 and 3, or
    Slots 2 and 3, or
    Slots 1, 2, and 3
    Do you really need more than 1GB of RAM? Very few people do.

BTW, I have been using the original A7N8X Deluxe with 2x512MB of RAM since it first came out 2-1/2 years ago.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    Athlon XP 2800+ with Zalman CNPS7000A-CU Cooler
    1GB (2x512MB) Corsair XMS PC2700 CL2
    Verto GeForce FX5900
    Maxtor 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, WDC 60GB
    Lite-On 48x24x48 CD/RW
    Memorex DualX DVD/RW+/-
    Windows XP Pro / RedHat Linux 9 & Fedora 1
    Superflower SF201-BK Aluminum Case

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Do you really need more than 1GB of RAM? Very few people do.
    Not very true come tomarrow. You wouldn't believe how much ram BF2 can eat. It already starts caching like crazy with 1 gig. Not that 1 gig is a problem or anything. And not that I couldn't stop some stuff from running. But ram is cheap right now and there is a huge benifit to loading up the game before everybody else. Lowest player number between 2 people on this game always takes the vehicle in a spawn standoff...

And between my desktops, my servers, and my mythtv frontends/backend.... Leftover and old parts rarely go to waste. They go into rotation with the rest of the computers.

Not very true come tomarrow. You wouldn't believe how much ram BF2 can eat. It already starts caching like crazy with 1 gig. Not that 1 gig is a problem or anything. And not that I couldn't stop some stuff from running. But ram is cheap right now and there is a huge benifit to loading up the game before everybody else. Lowest player number between 2 people on this game always takes the vehicle in a spawn standoff...
    BF2 doesn't use all that much ram.. My machine hasn't started caching yet when loading it..
    A7n8x-dlx 2x512 ddr400.. You would be better off spending the money on a video card if you haven't done so already.. I'm looking at the BFG Geforce 6800 DX OC.. $340 us at zipzoomfly..

Take a look at this link..
    http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST--2147-x-x-x
    Last edited by AxlMyk; 06-22-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk
    BF2 doesn't use all that much ram.. My machine hasn't started caching yet when loading it..
    A7n8x-dlx 2x512 ddr400.. You would be better off spending the money on a video card if you haven't done so already.. I'm looking at the BFG Geforce 6800 DX OC.. $340 us at zipzoomfly..

haha, I didn't say it wouldn't work with 1 gig.. The key is being able to load the next map before you can load yours... You didn't need more than 512 to run BFV too, but 1 gig to 512 was night and day.

Besides, I already have a 6800 GT. And thats running BF2 just fine on high detail. I'm behind in my DDR purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk

A little late to this thread, but I was looking because I'm adding another gig. I already have 1G and a 6800GT. I don't agree with that. BF2 with ASE, XFIRE, and IRC running is eating up 800 - 998MB of memory for me and sometimes it hits my hard drive, hard. Doom 3 barely did that to me when I ran it at Ultra Quality and only when I opened doors (which is not when I really want it to hit my hard drive.)

Quote Originally Posted by evoryware
    A little late to this thread, but I was looking because I'm adding another gig. I already have 1G and a 6800GT. I don't agree with that. BF2 with ASE, XFIRE, and IRC running is eating up 800 - 998MB of memory for me and sometimes it hits my hard drive, hard. Doom 3 barely did that to me when I ran it at Ultra Quality and only when I opened doors (which is not when I really want it to hit my hard drive.)
    Let em think what they want... Faster load times for you and me.

I got another gig and let me tell you... It's waaaaay better with BF2. I have a 2600+ with 2 gigs of ram and a 6800GT and I'm usually the first one in every map as opposed to being in the middle of the bulk of players. And instead of jerking around during the first little bit of the map, it is smooth as silk right when I get in. Also I can alt tab without waiting forever, that is pretty quick now.

Another one of my friends got 2 gigs also and he loads a bit quicker than me since he's in the 3400 amd64 bit world with newer equipment all around. 2 of the other guys I play with are convinced themselves and are planning on getting 2 gigs for their own machines after seeing mine and my friends.

so... let em think what they want. I have 2 gigs in mine now, and I'm saying I notice a big difference.
    Last edited by DustSmoke; 08-02-2005 at 08:06 PM.

oh and BTW. I found out that using any configuration besides 2 sticks alone disables dual ddr on these boards... 2 512's in one channel and 1 1 gig in the other kills dual channel mode. 3 512's kills dual DDR.. (doesn't matter, 3 'anything' kills it)

So I just got 2 1 gig sticks and it is in dual channel mode again.

oh and BTW. I found out that using any configuration besides 2 sticks alone disables dual ddr on these boards... 2 512's in one channel and 1 1 gig in the other kills dual channel mode. 3 512's kills dual DDR.. (doesn't matter, 3 'anything' kills it)
    What boards exactly?

Edit: Oh, OK in your first post you said A7N8X-E. The gigabyte and the age of the thread confused me. Your results should parallel what was in those links I posted up there. It didn't?

You should have gotten dual channel on the POST screen in any combination in which there was memory in both channels, two sticks or three. In benchmarks, you should have had the highest performance with two sticks (dual controllers), followed by equal amounts of three sticks, and next with unequal amounts in both controllers in whatever combination, and the lowest with one stick in one controller.

You did not find that to be the case?

Edit 2: Sandra thinks three equal dual channel too:

click
    Last edited by Senor Panadero; 08-02-2005 at 08:35 PM.