Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Which Anti Virus Sotware??

Quote Originally Posted by amb7247
    What you usually do when revieweing these products is have an image with viruses and/or worms on it and re-image it for each test, and re-run test at least 2-3 times for each scanner. Hard to manipulate that. Esp if each test is the same image done 2-3 times for all products. It's all subjective and opinionated.
    No - that would be using a subset of ITW viruses and wouldn't give a truely accurate representation of a scanners ability to detect viruses. For example, it's very easy to skew results, either intentionally or unintentionally, when using only a subset of viruses. IMHO, at the very least, scans should be performed against a library of all known ITW viruses, and more preferably all known viruses. Take a look at the testing methodology at AV comparatives and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by amb7247
    Probably have to write to them and tell them to review it. They probably just never reviwed it yet. And nothing there I see is manipulative. Just honest reviews. I see nothing that says otherwise. No doubt Kaspersky is good, it also depends on on the version of the virus scanner and when it was reviewed. What you usually do when revieweing these products is have an image with viruses and/or worms on it and re-image it for each test, and re-run test at least 2-3 times for each scanner. Hard to manipulate that. Esp if each test is the same image done 2-3 times for all products. It's all subjective and opinionated.

My top 5 would be:

Kapsersky
    BitDefender
    PC-Cillin
    AVG
    McAfee

But then again just my opinion. Not much point in changing the tests anyway, doesn't help the makers of the product to make it any better when it's really not any good.
    It seems that alot of the programs that were rated the top ten got there because of ease of use but for the most part, most of them performed very well in detecting antivirus. I personally used NOD32 and never had a problems with viruses or use. Additionally, ease of use is subjective. One person who uses a specific Anitivirus software may pick up very quickly while another person make pick it up rather slowly. I would not base my opinion on use of a program unless to understand it is very bad and the manual is written in sanscript. Also, the reviews is based in features. Added features on the surface sounds very nice and may give the feeling of superior product but if another product which does not have that feature yet is able to keep your system clean a virus, is it worth it? For example, some features on antivirus are scanning virus in email before they are open and some scan once it is open or downloaded. Now any good antivirus worth its salt will pick up the virus once it in the system, capture it, and either put a barrier between it and the system and clean it. In either case, the antivirus has done its job if it has picked it up in a unopen email or open email or file downloaded into the system. Does this mean that one is better because it has a feature to pick it up a little earlier?

Just my two cents

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Kmat
    Additionally, ease of use is subjective. One person who uses a specific Anitivirus software may pick up very quickly while another person make pick it up rather slowly.
    Absolutely. I like command line packages (like the mcafee command line scanner) as I have full flexibility with the command line switches and can run it straight off a CD or USB pendrive on any machine without having to install it. It gives me ultimate flexibility, but I doubt it would win any points for ease of use in todays gui obsessed world

Question Re: Which Anti Virus Sotware??

Someone I know has the whole eTrust security suite (Armor?) installed and just uninstalled and is trying the Kaspersky 30-day trial. Is this a wise move or not?

From my experience it's never a wise move to change virus scanners, but sometimes is, and even when it is it's not a wise move.

Make sure he cleans up completely after eTrust, but moving from a full edition to a trial edition just isn't that smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner
    Make sure he cleans up completely after eTrust, but moving from a full edition to a trial edition just isn't that smart.
    These trial versions aren't limited in any way other than time limited. They allow you to try a product before purchasing. It's totally sensible to try out a few products before committing yourself for a year.

I'm currently using Kaspersky Personal 5 on one of my machines and would recommend it to anyone. It's an excellent product. If he likes the trial then he should have no reservations in purchasing a licence

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster
    Someone I know has the whole eTrust security suite (Armor?) installed and just uninstalled and is trying the Kaspersky 30-day trial. Is this a wise move or not?
    I agree with Ned Slider. The only problem I can think of that may happen is if a person uses a full version and changes to another antivirus. Sometimes a antivirus software embeds itself into system so much that when uninstalled, it leaves remnents of itself within the system. When another antivirus which can be a trial version is installed into the system, it can cause system instability. A couple of years back, Norton Antivirus had this problem and I remember many people that I have bumped into removing it from the system, installing another antivirus only to have system conflicts because the antivirus did not fully uninstall all its parts. I dont know how Norton antivirus is doing these days but I assume that if uninstalled, it removes all it parts from your system. The only solution to this problem was to do a clean install of the operating system and reinstalling everything in the computer.

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Well, it's already after installing the Kaspersky trial, but I went ahead and deleted all references to Computer Associates (the eTrust company) in the registry. I tried searching for eTrust, but it brought up a bunch of WinTrust stuff and I didn't think this was it. No system instabilities yet.

I guess if they for some odd reason decide to go back to eTrust, then they'll have to uninstall the trial version of Kaspersky and delete all references to kaspersky in the registry.

Nice to see this thread has turned into a well informed discussion about Viri software..

Thanks to everyone for thier input and advice.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic
    Nice to see this thread has turned into a well informed discussion about Viri software..

Thanks to everyone for thier input and advice.
    Absolutely. The intention was to do a poll on AV software similar to the Spyware/Adware poll, but this thread has done pretty much the same job

The one thing that really strikes me from this thread is the healthy competitative nature of the current AV software market. There are plenty of good products to choose from and a wide variety are in common use by PCPer members. This has to be a good thing.

Ned

I have used them all in the past, I feel the best for the money are:

PCcillian and Panda, with Norton following up a close 2nd.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

I am on the same quest to find the right program. I used Norton for years and recently had problems with upgrades and tech support (although it worked once I got through that). I am now using AVAST Home (the free version) and looking into others. I see in this thread Panda is recommended, and I also will look at this. How come nobody said anything about McAfee? I may have missed it, but it seems to be on all the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by mmitsch
    How come nobody said anything about McAfee? I may have missed it, but it seems to be on all the shelves.
    It's important to remember that no product is perfect and they all have their pro's and con's. McAfee has excellent detection rates (amongst the very best), but some consider the home version to be bloatware - ie it can slow down even a fast computer and will bring an older computer to it's knees. Another concern with the home version of McAfee is that daily virus definition updates were not available, with McAfee reserving these for corporate users only. This is unacceptable in today's environment of fast spreading viruses. I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed yet or not.

McAfee is a good product though and you can pick up OEM licences very cheaply at less than $10 (at least in the UK).

Ned

"Another concern with the home version of McAfee is that daily virus definition updates were not available"

This is false. I have the home version and get definition updates all the time. You just have to renew your subscription every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Absolutely. The intention was to do a poll on AV software similar to the Spyware/Adware poll, but this thread has done pretty much the same job

The one thing that really strikes me from this thread is the healthy competitative nature of the current AV software market. There are plenty of good products to choose from and a wide variety are in common use by PCPer members. This has to be a good thing.

Ned
    Most of the top antivirus will do a great job in protecting your system. Most of what people are dealing with are the subjectivities of the software. What type of interface do you like. Which features you can deal with and what you cant deal with. Its all gravy at that point.
    J. Krishnamurti