Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Which Anti Virus Sotware??

If you were going to invest in Anti Virus software which option would you choose??
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Re: Which Anti Virus Sotware??

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic
    If you were going to invest in Anti Virus software which option would you choose??

ok i give up where are the option's
    Samd4

I've been using norton anti virus for years. It's been reliable and basically trouble-free for me, but it does detract somewhat from performance.

I use AVG Pro , it works well and is not a resource hogg like NAV and it is reasonably priced 2 yr licence for 33 bucks
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Single/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I really like NAV 2005
    ($32.00 at Sam's Club)
    They have added Internet Worm Protection which pretty much acts like ZA in that it asks if you want programs to access the internet.
    That, in conjuction with FireFox <<with these settings<< I'm running a pretty clean machine these days.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

If price is not an issue I would go with Panda Software it is by far the best that I have used. I use the Platinum version and unlike the same one I used from Norton this one has not blocked all my access to the internet. Which that actually happened to me and a couple people I know we could not access the internet until we removed Norton Internet Security 2003. So now days I stay as far away from Norton products as possible.
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

trend internet security 2004 on my rig. all i can say is awesome.

norton internet security 2004 on my ol lady's machine. horrible with WinME. upgraded to XP Home and, yeah, its awesome too now.

i have heard good and bad concerning both of those in the 2005 flavor(dunno myself).

also recommend:
    webroot spysweeper
    spywareblaster
    spybot search & destroy
    ad-aware
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna look into Panda first and then AVG and NAV 2005.
    Last edited by AMD Fanatic; 06-19-2005 at 01:24 PM.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic
    To be able to give a thorough answer to this question, we actually need a little more info.

What spec of system is it to run on (some fully featured AV software packages can bring older systems to their knees). Next up, is it for frontline real time protection or as a backup scanner (you should really use at least two different products to catch everything). What features and level of flexability are required.

One thing I would recommend is that most decent AV vendors will offer a trial period for their software, so make sure you try before you buy, and try out a few different products to see how they perform on your system

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    To be able to give a thorough answer to this question, we actually need a little more info.

What spec of system is it to run on (some fully featured AV software packages can bring older systems to their knees). Next up, is it for frontline real time protection or as a backup scanner (you should really use at least two different products to catch everything). What features and level of flexability are required.

One thing I would recommend is that most decent AV vendors will offer a trial period for their software, so make sure you try before you buy, and try out a few different products to see how they perform on your system

Ned

Ned,

It'll be running on the system in my sig so power isn't much of a problem.

I don't use anything now so this purchase will be for Frontline real time protection of the machine. I am behind a router though and for the most part I don't have many problems.

I picked up something last week which made my mouse hard to use so I used Pandas free scanner but it couldn't clean the files due it being a trial version of Panda. Not even sure what it was that infected me, I formatted and solved the problem as soon as I saw that the trial version wouldn't clean it..
    Last edited by AMD Fanatic; 06-20-2005 at 04:46 PM.

Check this thread, for some more free options
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=388472

I have read good things about Kaspersky, perhaps you'd like to give it a try.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

Personally I use Kaspersky for virus protection, and am very happy with it for over a year.

Here is a couple of links to indepent test of anti virus software. Best to read and pick one that fits your needs and budget

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.claymania.com/tests-trojan.html

Before I picked the anti virus, I am presently using, I done a lot of reading. The one thing that you have to be careful when reading different reviews, is the reviewer in any way connected to the company they are rating or selling link space to them. It it not easy to read through the fluff.

Happying hunting
    Mr. Spock, how do I set my laser printer to stun?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Have tried many over the years and iam now using Bitdefender and like it very much.One thing i would suggest is Google AV reviews and see what they say.Also forum posting is good but you may get many "fanboy" opinions that way.Norton products can crash older systems and are known to be system hogs.Mcafee ran smother on my last machine and usually rates in the top ten.Good luck and my humble opinion is something is better than nothing.It would be very foolish to be on the net these days without AV,Spyware and Firewall software.It is like waiting for a bomb to go off.

I have used Nod32 and it is a pretty good Antivirus. It is not a resourse hog like Norton and provides better protection than Norton. Additionally it has consistently detected viruses in the wild according to virusbulletin.

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Among the ones I've tried, I like AVAST.
    Bronson7