Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Which Anti Virus Sotware??

Panda Platinum internet security works incredibly well for me

NOD32 and Kaspersky are the top 2 AV scanners in the 2005 tests to date. Kaspersky is known to have better detection rates while NOD32 is lighter on resources.

Can't go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic
    Ned,

It'll be running on the system in my sig so power isn't much of a problem.

I don't use anything now so this purchase will be for Frontline real time protection of the machine. I am behind a router though and for the most part I don't have many problems.

I picked up something last week which made my mouse hard to use so I used Pandas free scanner but it couldn't clean the files due it being a trial version of Panda. Not even sure what it was that infected me, I formatted and solved the problem as soon as I saw that the trial version wouldn't clean it..
    Given that you're not running anything atm and don't have too many problems, I'd be inclined to try some of the freebies out first. Avast free edition comes highly recommended and AVG is very popular too. If those don't provide enough options or you want a commercial product, then Kaspersky personal would be my choice.

Check out AV comparatives for some impartial reviews:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

and here's their latest tests for on demand detection rates of some popular product:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2005_02.php

Also, check out the links in the Sticky thread. MS is offering extended trials through a link on their site (linked in the sticky) where you can get, F-Secure for example, for 6 months free trial. This is an excellent product that uses the kaspersky engine and AV definitions.

Ned

I use F-Secure and have been very happy with it. When i threw some nasties at it (test samples) it picked it up right away and isolated and deleted. Updates regularly too.

I've used a lot over the years, but the two I prefer are F-Secure and Norton. Go with norton, because F-Secure costs a lot. F-Secure also comes with Ad-Aware Pro. I liked the idea of Kaspersky, but it failed me several times, and I decided it wasn't worth my $70. McAfee, I just don't like. I never tried panda.

i've used several including PCcillin,AVG(free),mcafee,and norton.right now i'm using mcafee enterprise edition that i can get from my place of employment.you might see if your company offers something simular.for my company,you go to a website,put in username and password and download.and there is a password on the zip file too.

I use AVG "Cheapskate Edition" on all my systems and I never have a problem. I like how it's not near as much of a resource hog than Norton.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

NOD32 for me all the way!!!

McAfee Enterprise 8.0.

I use PC-cillen 2005. Used NOD32 too though. I think it just depends on the user.
    No antivirus can catch 100% of viruses anyways. Gotta have a multiple pronged attack!

Quote Originally Posted by ViLLain
    No antivirus can catch 100% of viruses anyways. Gotta have a multiple pronged attack!
    Exactly!!!

Just because people have an AV package installed, it sometimes gives them a false sense of security that they're fully protected. Some are better than others, but none are perfect, not even the very best.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Exactly!!!

Just because people have an AV package installed, it sometimes gives them a false sense of security that they're fully protected. Some are better than others, but none are perfect, not even the very best.

Ned
    Yup,

Just like with doctors, it's always good to get a second opinion!!

Sorry Lid

p.s. I use Trend Micro's Internet Security 2005 on 3 rigs, no virii....yet.

T

I switched from Norton Internet Security 2003 to Trend Micro's PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005. I did not like the fact that Norton is not going to support 2003 any longer and they also hit you with $30 fee for live technical assistance. I never had to use their live tech assist, but it still sucks that they would do that. I think the sign of a good company is one that delivers more than expected and I feel that Trend Micro has done that with this latest offering. I have been running for about a month now and I am pleased so far.

I switched from NAV/SystemWorks to AVG. I found NAV was a huge resource hog and took control of my box.

Planning on going AVG Pro soon!!

Z

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
    AMD64 3500+ Venice w/ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu
    Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO
    6800Ultra 256MB PCI Express
    CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    Maxtor Diamond Max 10 250G 16M cache
    Antec True Power II 480W
    CM Stacker
    UltraSharp 1905FP
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    3DMark05 :: 5458
    AquaMark3 :: 62853

i've tried avg, f-secure,trend micro, macafee, and norton, and i always return and prefer to use norton av.

Norton AV 2005 .