Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Re: What is O-Dog having for supper tonight?

Last night I made Cornish Game Hens with stuffing, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce and gravy. I bought those "bake in bag" pre-seasoned game hens from Perdue. First time trying them but I was really happy with the way they came out. Just throw them in an oven for an hour and out popped two perfectly cooked birds. Because they bake inside the bag the skin wasn't exactly crisp, so I turned the broiler on for a few minutes after removing them from the bag, and then definitely helped. The brussels sprouts were steamed and then sauteed in a little butter and rosemary over high heat. Getting a little black on them with the rosemary adds a nice flavor. The gravy was home made, but the stuffing came out of a box and the cranberry sauce was canned. Overall it was an excellent meal that took only maybe 25 minutes of active cooking in front of the stove.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

made myself a bbq chicken salad. red leaf lettuce, red onion, orange bell pepper, some whole kernel corn, BBQ grilled chicken, and cheddar cheese. I made a BBQ vinaigrette with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, some dijon mustard and BBQ sauce all whisked together. Came out pretty good

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Last night I made some pasta sauce.. "bolognese" -inspired

Ground beef (left over from the burger escapade)
    diced celery, carrots and onions
    red wine (cabernet, used to deglaze the pan i browned the meat in)
    Tomato paste
    Crushed tomatoes
    Cream
    Grana Padano cheese
    basil, oregano, salt etc

Came out alright, not exactly what I had envisioned. A little too much wine and not quite enough meat. Not bad for completely winging it. I didn't serve it yet, I figured I'd make the sauce and then let it to let the flavors come together
    I basically did this again last night, but I had significantly more ground beef to work with, a little less wine, some more fresh basil. Followed drkCrix's advice and added pancetta this time as well. I was much happier with it overall this time, it came out more balanced and heartier than the first time. I can't wait to have some of the leftovers now that the flavors have had some time to meld together in the fridge!

Trust me, I do science

Yesterday was a big cooking day for me... I had to take my mind off the atrocious NY Giants
    http://imgur.com/a/tat4T

The basic recipe I used for the roast, based on the Peppercorn Crusted Tenderloin recipe from the latest Cook's Illustrated:

1/4 Cup coarsely crushed black peppercorns
    1/2 Tbsp salt
    1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp orange zest
    6-9 tbsp olive oil
    1 "ear" section of tenderloin roast, trimmed and tied (~1lb)

Preheat oven to 300 degF. Heat 2/3 of the olive oil (~6tbsp) in a small pan over medium-low heat. It should begin to bubble slightly. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Strain off oil, discard and wipe down pan to remove residue. Return the peppercorns to the pan with the unused (~3tbsp) olive oil and add the nutmeg and orange zest and mix together over low heat. Mix salt, sugar and baking soda together in a small bowl. Thoroughly cover the tenderloin, rubbing the mixture in until the surface becomes somewhat tacky. Coat the top and sides of the roast with the peppercorn mixture, being sure to press the mixture into the meat to stick it on firmly. Place in the oven and cook until internal temp at the thickest portion reads ~120 degF. Allow to rest for 20 min before serving.

Sauce Recipe:

3 Tbsp butter
    1 diced shallot
    1/3 cup red wine
    1/3 cup beef stock
    3 tbsp orange juice (squeezed from zested orange used above)
    3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in a pan. Sautee shallots over medium heat until soft. add red wine, beef stock, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and orange juice. heat until bubbling slowly and allow to reduce by half. Reduce heat to medium-low. In a microwave, warm the heavy cream (about 30-45 sec in my 700w microwave). Add the cream slowly to the sauce and mix thoroughly. continue heating on medium-low with occasional stirring until it begins to thicken to the desired consistency. check taste and add salt/pepper as necessary.

Notes:
    A brief warning: I followed many aspects of the Cook's illustrated article, but I really did wing a lot of the proportions because I was cooking a much smaller roast than was specified in the article. The sauce in particular is a complete estimation of what I actually used because I pretty much eye-balled the whole thing. Use your judgement and taste!

The flavor of the pepper is much much reduced by cooking in oil and discarding. This was explained in the Cook's Illustrated article, but as a chemist it made perfect sense to me. Basically you're extracting all the super sharp flavors contained in the pepper by dissolving them into the oil. Adding the nutmeg and orange zest allows you to return some of the fragrant flavor compounds, without having to deal with the overwhelming spice that pepper can bring.

Trust me, I do science

Last night was my dad's Chili. I went over to their place to watch the evening football game and have dinner. My grandparents had sent my dad a bunch of avocados from their back yard (they live in California) and so we made some fresh guac, which was delicious.

Tonight I've got some pork tenderloins defrosted and ready to go. I'm planning on doing a dijon and herb crusted pork tenderloin. I'm going to coat the meat with dijon mustard and then dredge in herbed breadcrumbs. Roast that for a bit and then serve au jus with yukon gold mashed potatoes and green beans.

Trust me, I do science

This thread is full of win. Tons of win. Reading makes me hungry. You turned out to be a master chef and a master chief?

Quote Originally Posted by Coda View Post
    This thread is full of win. Tons of win. Reading makes me hungry. You turned out to be a master chef and a master chief?
    haha dna would be proud... maybe (you never knew with that dude). I'm surprised you still remember the master chef/master chief title

Tonight I'm just going to do leftovers from last night. Everything came out pretty darn good, but if I did it again I'd use panko crumbs and use slightly less dijon mustard.

Trust me, I do science

I got started on this tonight. Not making the pizza until tomorrow because the dough needs to rise overnight.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...lideshow.html#

Trust me, I do science

Hope you bought some good pepperoni for that, not some paper thin pre-sliced bag of slim jim looking meat gum. For me, the pepperoni has to be charred around the edges, and look like a little bowl of grease soup, lol.
    Last edited by frogmeat69; 01-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
    Hope you bought some good pepperoni for that, not some paper thin pre-sliced bag of slim jim looking meat gum. For me, the pepperoni has to be charred around the edges, and look like a little bowl of grease soup, lol.
    Yea, I got a stick of Boar's Head pepperoni. Gonna slice it pretty thick so I can get the awesome cupping action with the crispy edges. The site I linked to (serious eats) has little articles about all types of awesome things like that: Why pepperoni cups, which pepperonis and mozzarella are best, how to make your own sausage... And thats just the pizza lab articles. So many awesome pro-tips and recipes on this site. Reading the stuff that this dude Kenji does (mainly the food lab) always has me salivating and my stomach rumbling.

Trust me, I do science

Ok, so i baked and consumed several slices of said pizza. The sauce came out pretty darn tasty, would use the recipe again. Unfortunately there were a few deficiencies as well. Primarily, the dough was too bread-like, not crispy or even baguette like. The hole structure was way too fine. I think this had a lot to do with the fact that my house was absolutely freezing all weekend, which let the yeast do its thing properly. The dough was also not crispy enough on the bottom, and I used a little too much olive oil to coat the pan, leaving it greasy. Lastly, I cut a few of the pepperonis a bit too thick. Overall it was tasty, but a qualified success with room for improvement.

EDIT: Photo!
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 01-30-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Doing this tonight with my dad
    http://www.rockyhilltavern.com/events.html#BeerDinner

* Amuse *

Bacon wrapped prawn, cheddar grits, tomato jam

Allagash White

~

* First Course *

Lobster and pork belly mac n’ cheese

Old Speckled Hen

~

* Second Course *

Chorizo and bacon poutine

Unibroue La Fin du Monde

~

* Third Course *

Veal and foie gras bacon wrapped meat loaf

Lagunita’s IPA

~

* Dessert *

Chocolate and bacon bread pudding

Kegan’s Mothers Milk

Prix Fixe $50.
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 01-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Made some burgers last night. Ground up a little chuck and short-rib on my meat grinder. Smashed them on the stove top to get that nice crust, a little onion, some american cheese all nice and melty. Put it on a Martin's potato roll with a spoonful of sauce, side of tater tots (more sauce to dip in) and a side salad. Always tasty and pretty quick to make as well.

Sauce recipe (approximate)

3tbsp Mayo (Hellmans)
    1tbsp Yellow Mustard (French's)
    1tbsp Ketchup (Heinz)
    1tsp India Relish (Heinz)
    1/2tsp Paprika
    1/2tsp Ancho Chile powder
    1/4tsp Celery Salt
    1/4tsp Yeast Extract (Marmite)
    2-3 turns fresh cracked black pepper

Good for burger spread or for dipping fries/tots in

Trust me, I do science

Tonight I did spice-grilled flap meat tacos with a roasted poblano fresh salsa. Put some refried beans on the side to go along with. Meat was absolutely delicious but the thick parts were a bit under cooked.

Steak:

Salsa

Prepped and ready for eating!

Last week i followed up on the pizza I made a couple weeks earlier. It came out better, but still needs a bit of tweaking

Last edited by Activate: AMD; 02-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Last night I hit up my local watering hole for some happy hour priced foods (pulled pork and beef sliders), but I got started on this

Made the stock and braised the beef, its currently sitting in the dutch oven in my enclosed porch keeping cool. Tonight I'll make the gravy and assemble. I hope its worth the 2 day effort. I'm already concerned I bought the wrong cut and didn't quite cook it long enough. It was pretty tender, but not ready to fall apart. I'm sure it'll be delicious, but when you put this much time into a recipe you want it to come out right.

Trust me, I do science