Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Re: What is O-Dog having for supper tonight?

Hey if you need some taters
    I got 2 sacks laying around for you
    Intel Core i5-3570K ASUS P8B75-V CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB corsair 850w Ati 7870
    http://www.mnuclan.com/

-

-
    --http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63401

^^Thats a very... generous(?) offer...

Finished my Roast Beef Po' Boy Sandwiches. Came out excellent, with tender beef, tasty gravy and just an overall delectable package. Glamour shots:

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Made a salad with red-leaf lettuce, tomato, red onion, fresh mozzarella, grilled chicken and a home-made chipotle pomegranate balsamic vinaigrette. Tasty, quick, and probably mostly healthy. I made it while working on food project work-in-progress, which is decidedly less healthy.

Trust me, I do science

More home made pizza. This time, I made a real stretched crust on a pizza stone instead of the no-knead pan-pizza style I'd attempted earlier.

Crust stretched:

Sauced:

Cheesed:

Into the oven!

Done:

After Action Report and De-briefing (because thats how I roll):

Crust : cooked well on the bottom, but was perhaps a bit under-kneaded and stretched. It was too thick at the edge, which pushed everything into the middle. The proportion of cornicione (boom) to cheese-covered area was wrong in the finished product. Texture was a bit too dense overall, which is related to kneading.

Sauce: Tasty, same recipe I used for the pan pizza. Probably could have been pureed a bit more, it was slightly too chunky. The critical flaw here was over-saucing, leading to a bit of sogginess

Cheese/pepperoni: the cheese didn't seem stringy enough, perhaps a bit too much cheese or didn't cook quite enough. The extra sauce was causing all the cheese to pull off together. Pepperoni was the most successful of all 3 pizza making attempts with good cupping and a few areas of a nice char. Room for improvement on that front but still pleasing.

Overall rating: 6.5/10. Good first crust attempt, lots of room for improvement. I was happy eating this, but I know I can do better. Looking forward to trying this again

Trust me, I do science

Made a fancy-pants cheese steak tonight. I had some tenderloin chain meat (top of the photo, which is not mine) in the freezer from butchering a whole tenderloin. Pan seared that, set it aside. Sauteed some mushrooms and onions until nice and soft, deglazed with a splash of red wine and reduced. Added some heavy cream, a healthy amount of worcestershire, some tomato paste, salt, pepper, and paprika and let that reduce until really thick and creamy. Sliced the meat into bite-sized slices, threw that into the sauce and mixed to coat. Put that on a roll with some provolone and put it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Came out pretty good for a made-up sauce recipe, good flavor and the meat is tenderloin so its super tender.

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    More home made pizza. This time, I made a real stretched crust on a pizza stone instead of the no-knead pan-pizza style I'd attempted earlier.

Crust stretched:

Sauced:

Cheesed:

Into the oven!

Done:

After Action Report and De-briefing (because thats how I roll):

Crust : cooked well on the bottom, but was perhaps a bit under-kneaded and stretched. It was too thick at the edge, which pushed everything into the middle. The proportion of cornicione (boom) to cheese-covered area was wrong in the finished product. Texture was a bit too dense overall, which is related to kneading.

Sauce: Tasty, same recipe I used for the pan pizza. Probably could have been pureed a bit more, it was slightly too chunky. The critical flaw here was over-saucing, leading to a bit of sogginess

Cheese/pepperoni: the cheese didn't seem stringy enough, perhaps a bit too much cheese or didn't cook quite enough. The extra sauce was causing all the cheese to pull off together. Pepperoni was the most successful of all 3 pizza making attempts with good cupping and a few areas of a nice char. Room for improvement on that front but still pleasing.

Overall rating: 6.5/10. Good first crust attempt, lots of room for improvement. I was happy eating this, but I know I can do better. Looking forward to trying this again
    inspired by your attempts for the perfect pepperoni pizza i decided to get a bit fancier with my own pizza's. made my own pizza sauce (turned out quite tasty) but i cheated and used one of the betty crocker pizza crust packages that has the flour and yeast all in one as a kit. http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...er+pizza+crust

i added garlic powder, italian seasoning, onion powder and some vegetable oil to the dough. can't give measurements as i didn't measure lol.

one of my favorite toppings is jalapeno sausage sliced up like thick slices of pepperoni. it made a tasty pizza.

normally ill use mama mary's ready made crusts if im in a hurry though. at some point ill try to do everything from scratch when i have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    inspired by your attempts for the perfect pepperoni pizza i decided to get a bit fancier with my own pizza's. made my own pizza sauce (turned out quite tasty) but i cheated and used one of the betty crocker pizza crust packages that has the flour and yeast all in one as a kit. http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...er+pizza+crust

i added garlic powder, italian seasoning, onion powder and some vegetable oil to the dough. can't give measurements as i didn't measure lol.

one of my favorite toppings is jalapeno sausage sliced up like thick slices of pepperoni. it made a tasty pizza.

normally ill use mama mary's ready made crusts if im in a hurry though. at some point ill try to do everything from scratch when i have more time.
    I'm glad I inspired you to try something new! Seasoning the crust is interesting and Jalapeno sausage does sound pretty damn good.

I will say, other than the rise time, making a scratch crust is pretty quick, especially if you have a scale and a food processor. I try to do all my baking by weight since its much more accurate. I just put the food processor bowl on the scale and add directly to that, then pulse a few times to mix dry ingredients, add the water and olive oil then run the food processor until it balls up. Keep going for a little bit, remove and knead as necessary on a well-floured surface. The whole thing takes 20 minutes max. I threw the dough ball into a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for 3 days to ferment and rise. On the day of cooking you have to let it sit for a couple hours at room temp to proof a bit. So far, the stretching has been the tricky part for me. I made another one and it came out much better, but got stretched a bit too thin at the middle.

Trust me, I do science

Last night I went over to my parent's place where my sister made dinner: Lemon chicken with red potatoes. It was roasted chicken thighs and red potatoes in a wine/lemon sauce. Pretty tasty, she was so nervous she was going to screw it up but it came out great. On the way home I stopped by Taco Bell for a Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco. I wasn't really hungry but my parents are much closer to the Taco Bell than I am and I absolutely had to try it. It. Was. AWESOME. Everything I had hoped and dreamed it could be and more.

Tonight I'm making pizza (AGAIN) Finishing up the last of the sauce I made in the previous batch, The dough has been cold fermenting in the fridge for the last 3 days. I'm hoping third time is the charm for my "new york style" crust experiment. I am determined to stretch it out properly this time!

Trust me, I do science

I made the serious eats "Better than Chipotle Beef Barbacoa" I got myself the whole chilis and made the sauce on saturday, then put it in the crock pot on sunday morning to let it go all day. I didn't bother searing off the oxtails, and I replaced the fish sauce with about a teaspoon of Marmite. It came out super tender and delicious. Served it on warmed corn tortillas with tomato, red onion, cilantro and a splash of lime juice. For better or worse, I have a ton of this stuff left so I'll be eating it for a while!

Trust me, I do science

Yesterday I put some brisket in the crock pot. Did a little dry rub with some brown sugar, chili powder, ground mustard, cumin, coriander, paprika, kosher salt, black pepper and let it sit for a couple hours prior to cooking. Then into the crock-pot with a little dr. pepper, bbq sauce, and liquid smoke. Let that baby sit for about 7 hours until it was nice and tender. Sliced it up and put on a potato roll, the topped with some home-made bbq sauce. Served it with a side salad and some B&M Baked Beans. I forgot to pick up coleslaw at the supermarket, but I'm going to get some today to go with the leftovers. Overall it was a pretty hands-off meal, especially if you don't make your own bbq sauce, and as close of an approximation of a BBQ brisket as I'm going to be able to do here with the equipment I have on hand

Trust me, I do science

^^ Delayed photo. Wound up making homemade slaw

Trust me, I do science

Made a pasta sauce last night. Trying to clear out some stuff from my pantry (and save some money at the supermarket ) I had some italian sausage in the freezer that I thawed out, removed from the casing and browned. Sauteed soffrito and added that in. The base was just jarred vodka sauce from the pantry, that I added a few things to (some garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes). Came out good, nothing special, but the soffrito adds a lot of heartiness and texture to the sauce, which I like. Best part is that I split everything up into containers as I was serving, so now I have leftovers for the next few lunches.

I want to do something big soon, but I'm not sure what.

Trust me, I do science

Carnitas (article describing the origin of the recipe)
    Recipe itself

Started work on this last night. Made and shredded the carnitas and prepped the salsa verde last night. Now all I need to do to enjoy tonight is put the carnitas under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up and serve on corn tortilla. I tasted the pork last night and WOW it was awesome! Can't wait to try it with a little bit of crispiness

Trust me, I do science

I have a decent recipe for salsa verde.

^^Gracias amigo!

Pic!

Trust me, I do science