Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Re: What is O-Dog having for supper tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Made a white chili with chicken last night. Came out great!

Recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...cken-best.html
    Stop posting all this good food, it's making me sad that I'm just sitting here stuffing my face with candy.

Made a couple Sous Vide porterhouses, served with a warm german style potato salad and sautee'd brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots. Had to try out my new Anova precision cooker. I think next time I'll drop the temp by a few degrees, but it worked pretty darn well!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Episode 288 of "What is O-Dog having for supper tonight". Title: "In which O-Dog eats thanksgiving dinner 2 weeks early then shares the photos 3 days later"

Made a sous vide turkey breast. Basically, I got a skin-on bone-in turkey breast, butchered it, wrapped the resulting skinless, boneless breast halves in twine to form kind of a cylinder, then sous vide cooked the whole thing. Cooked the skin separately and served it alongside so that it would get crispy. Served it alongside a brussels sprouts gratin and sausage/sage stuffing. The turkey was amazing, cooked to 145F for about 3.5 hours, it came out incredibly juicy and tender. Sous vide is so cool

Turkey

Gratin

Dinner is served! (yea i used canned cranberry sauce, don't judge me)

Trust me, I do science

It went well then?

Quote Originally Posted by Coda View Post
    It went well then?
    It was most excellent.

Trust me, I do science

Haven't posted here in a while, so allow me to regale you with low quality photographs of high quality food! This was my New Year's Eve dinner: Sous vide 28 day dry aged bone-in USDA prime ribeye, roasted asparagus and hassleback potato gratin, served with a nice bordeaux

She is a thing of beauty

Vacuum sealed in preparation for sous vide action:

In the water bath. Anova Precision Cooker set to 125F

3.5 hours later, it comes out looking gelatinous and sad, but cooked to a perfectly uniform 125F

And about 2.5 minutes after THAT it comes off a ripping hot cast iron skillet, butter basted and looking like the best damn steak I've ever made

Trust me, I do science

Interesting. I've never tried that build before. Worth the time?

Interesting. I've never tried that build before. Worth the time?
    Assuming you're talking about the sous vide... yea, its really really cool. Its basically just a temperature controlled 800W heating element + an impeller to circulate the water. The beauty of it is that you're no longer at the mercy of whatever protein you're cooking. As long as you start it far enough ahead of time, there isn't any downside to holding the meat at that temp for a longer time. I had that steak in the bath for over 3 hours, but it was probably done at 2 hours, but I used the time to prep the other side dishes, serve some hors-d'oeuvres without having to worry about it overcooking. It really is a "set and forget" way to cook. Not that its suitable for everything obviously, but for things like steaks/chops there really is no other way to get such consistent results

Bonus shot of hors-d'oeuvres (from left to right: Devils on horseback, pears, Parmigiano-Reggiano drizzled with legit balsamic)

Made pizza last night for the first time in months. Dough recipe KASL (100%) Water (60%) IDY (0.6%) Salt (2%) Oil (5%) Sugar (2%) Total (169.4%). Made one buffalo chicken pizza and one with pepperoni and fresh mozzarella. Baked approx 5-6 minutes @ 550F on baking steel

Trust me, I do science

Yeah, I was talking about the sous vide. You should have put the bacon on the left for the picture. Reading from left to right I got to the bacon and stopped. I couldn't tell you what the other two hors-d'oeuvres were.

Yeah, I was talking about the sous vide. You should have put the bacon on the left for the picture. Reading from left to right I got to the bacon and stopped. I couldn't tell you what the other two hors-d'oeuvres were.
    Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese. I make these for like every party I go to now, everybody loves them and they're super easy to make.

The Anova Precision Cooker is really nice, $180 on their site, but I paid signficantly less than that via kickstarter

Trust me, I do science

That prime rib looks amazing. I'm such a non-vegetarian
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Saturday night, made some alfredo. Fresh pasta, real deal parmiggiano reggiano, heavy cream, fancy european butter, and a healthy dose of black pepper. Such a simple delicious way to consume a billion calories

Trust me, I do science

Sunday I made "totchos" for the Green Bay v. Dallas matchup. Busted out the deep fryer for some tots and covered them with homemade cheddar cheese sauce, broiled chopped anaheim chilis, chopped tomatoes, chopped jalapenos, crumbled chorizo, and some corn and black bean salsa.

Last night I made Pierre Franey's recipe for Swedish meatballs, always a favorite of mine. Served with minted young peas and lingonberry jam

Trust me, I do science

Made a bolognese sauce. I generally followed this recipe and technique, but made a few adjustments and omitted a few things. Only had a couple hours of total time, so I had to hit it with some pretty high heat to reduce volume significantly before putting it into the oven. Came out pretty good regardless and will only get better with time in the fridge to let the flavors mingle

Cheated on the mirepoix to save time and bought a box of wine. Keeps way longer than the stuff in a bottle and isn't terrible. Also wanted papperdelle pasta, but it wasn't available, so I bought fresh lasagne sheets and cut them into strips

Trust me, I do science

This post is somewhat off the pattern of posts in this thread. It is neither something that O-Dog is eating for dinner or something that O-Dog prepared but it is somewhat related to the spirit of this thread.

I was in St. Louis the other day and I went to a smoke house called Sugarfire Smoke House. It was sort of a cafeteria style arrangement. You go through the line and get your drink and then approach a windowed counter with items you choose a la carte. I was going to get two sides and a rack of ribs. In Utah a rack of ribs (usually from Chili's) can be consumed and still leave you hungry so I was entering into this meal with that mindset.

Cookie sheet. Piece of paper. Gigantic rack of ribs.

I decided to forego the sides. I ate myself into a coma and had to save the pie for breakfast.

Last edited by Coda; 03-24-2015 at 04:12 PM.