which slack cd is the best?

Which slackware has the most funtionality? Im messing with slax but it doesnt seem to have much that really works but does seem to be the most widely used.Also is it best to use a dvd disk for the distros that let you write to the root files and add plugins?

Re: which slack cd is the best?

Currently, Slack 10.1 is the most current version. It should be the most compatable with newer hardware, and should also have the best tools for capibility.

Also is it best to use a dvd disk for the distros that let you write to the root files and add plugins?
    What do you mean? are you talking about modifying the ISO so you can have extra plugins and such install automatically when installing onto a computer?

Yes that what I meant

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Question Re: which slack cd is the best?

Thanks for the help I've edited the iso and added all available plug-in modules for Slax. I guess its time to learn linux in baby steps as im almost totally unaware of how it really works.Ive been reliant on windows and need a change.Now its timne to learn how to actually install programs which I know nothing about, I will probly post a few more questions in the near future

Well its much easier to install anything onto harddisk rather than onto a cd

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

I know im just checking it out first,Im not ready to do a full install or even dual boot yet.I have lots of cd's so i dont mind wasting 3 or 4 to get it right.when the time comes to commit to linux ill find a distro to install for keeps
    Last edited by /\/\adGamer; 07-10-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Put Mepis 3.3.1 on and forget about those other distros. Mepis is the easiest
    distro to install ,easiest to use, and easiest to add or update programs with
    Synaptic.
    Leave Slackware to the Geeks , but then again maybe you are a Geek so then stick
    with it.
    tri booting:
    PCLinuxOS .92
    Mepis 3.4-1 RC1
    Kanotix 2005-3

you have a link for mepis ? I like easy especially being a linux noob, Geek would be the next step after that

found it.... installed it your right it is easier and works alot better IMO thanks
    Last edited by /\/\adGamer; 07-12-2005 at 12:47 AM.

You might want to give Ubuntu a shot as well the link is here . Its based on Debian and runs very well on a variety of hardware . I dual boot with xp pro on my main box and have gone windows free on my compaq notebook . This distro has some of the best notebook support that I have found .
    BTW welcome to linux

Chris

Thanks I also have a notebook I am wanting to put linux on,Its a dell 1100 inspiron.Mepis looks and works great but im willing to check out as many as I can before I commit to one distro