Good /Best program to copy files from oto New HD

Sorry if this has been covered 10 times over I tried to search and kept getting a fatal memory error on the forum page....

I'm looking for a good or best program to copy data from an old HD to a new one..

Thnx

Folding For Our Future Movie link CLICK HERE

That's a Sweet Rig in your Sig but does it Fold?

Re: Good /Best program to copy files from oto New HD

I have had good luck with the built in files and transfer wizard in XP. There are a few things that did not move over (some game files and such) but I was able to just copy those to jump drives / cd-rs and move them. It easily got 95% of my settings files..

Hey KTM!!

Are you looking to just move the date via a copy and paste or clone the hard drive?

The drive manufactures have utilities that can be downloaded on their sites than can copy drives contents, with relative easy and success. Links can be found in my sig to different companies.

Yeh I was looking for a clone program for applications when
    I am upgrading older HD's with larger newer ones.

Also looking for one that can just copy, i'll do a fresh install when upgrading my 80gig to a 200gig but I wanted to make it easier to transfer my programs and files etc..

2 different scenerios...

I'll check the links in your sig thnx TMM

ps when using the MFG's programs do they work with other mfg's HD and HD's being replaced with larger capacity drives?

I have heard and read a few different things on these apps working on drives that are not made by the maker of the drive.
    A member posted saying he was able to use one even though he did not own a drive made by the company. I don't recall which one this was though.

One of companies I read will not do anything unless it picks up a Drive made by the company. I think this Maxtor.

Yea, it's the Maxtor Utility... The Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools support just about any drive but I really wouldn't reccommend using them to copy all your stuff from one drive to another. Had a couple of instances where the data and everything got straight f-ed. And once where the MBR and the FAT got completely wiped on the existing drive. Other than that they're great tools.

Personally I would reccommend Norton Ghost 2003 where you can either backup to a ghost image .gho or completely clone your drive then when you have your new drive installed you can just throw in your Norton Boot Diskette and restore a clone and your back up and running in 20min.

By using the Files and Transfer wizard it takes a little bit longer and I've seen some failure rate but overally I have personally had great luck with it. Its nice if you dont need/want ALL your files and ALL your directories.
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by R|p7iD3
    Personally I would reccommend Norton Ghost 2003 where you can either backup to a ghost image .gho or completely clone your drive then when you have your new drive installed you can just throw in your Norton Boot Diskette and restore a clone and your back up and running in 20min.
    Thnx for the tips I'll have to look into the NG03

or anyone know of a free utility that will do the trick?

I'm also looking into the Acronis True Image 8.0
    if any one has experience with this program?

I do this kind of thing on a daily basis, but we just use Windows Explorer to copy the data from the HDD to another location so we can put a fresh image on. I'm a technical support analyst, though I'm called a technician by my team lead.

Here's the low-down, YOU know where your files are. If you copy them and your user profile, usually in C:\Documents and Settings\userid if you use XP or 2000, you should have most of your files and your Windows settings will copy over for the most part. You'd need to be logged in as admin in order to move your profile folder, ntuser.dat, which is where your settings are stored, is locked when you're logged in as you. Tip for that, log in to create a profile for yourself on the new install, then overwrite the files in it with the files in your old one after logging in as a different user with admin rights. If you have questions about this, let me know, but I think this may be similar to the files and settings transfer wizard built into XP.

As far as imaging programs, we use Norton Ghost. Works every time for us without a question.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Quote Originally Posted by kiddetoolman
    I'm also looking into the Acronis True Image 8.0
    if any one has experience with this program?
    I use this program, actually I used it for the first time on the 4th of July to restore a fresh Windows XP image on my main partition. Somehow I messed up my video card drivers, so in about 30 minutes I had a new install of a perfectly set up XP with all my staple games and programs from my backup made previously.
    lean signature

I use Norton Ghost to clone my HD to a backup drive about once a week. I can then use the backup drive in case of primary drive failure. Never had a problem with Norton. I use an older version of Ghost (2002) which can only be run in FAT16 and FAT32. To get around this I have included Ghost on a Win98 boot CD. I boot from the CD into Win98 and then run Ghost from the command prompt. You could also use a Win98 boot floppy and the run Ghost from another floppy. It will clone NTFS and Linux HD's in addition to those using FAT16 and 32. It's a small program (630 kb) that was included on a "Bonus Disk" I got with a new motherboard.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11