Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Can anyone help get this working?

In the last few days I have got a broadband connection with a USB modem from my ISP.
    I have just received a Speedtouch 546 ADSL2+ modem, Router and Firewall. I have run the setup program but I still cannot access the internet using this modem. I am getting a yellow exclamation mark on the Local Area Connection on which the 546 is installed. The support tab shows the following text:
    "Limited or no connectivity
    You might not be able to access the internet or some network resource. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Does anyone know what I must do to get this working?

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Dragon Full Tower+Corsair HX520 PSU
    OCZ Vendetta 2 with Xigmatek ACK-I7751 backplate
    6 SilenX Case Fans on T-Balancer Fan controller with Analogue sensor hub
    Gigabyte HD3850 512MB (GV-RX385512H)
    4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 (2x2GB)
    250GB SATA Seagate 7200.9
    500GB SATA Western Digital WD5000ABYS
    500GB SATA Western Digital WD5000YS
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

Re: Can anyone help get this working?

From that error message I'm guessing that the computer is set to obtain an IP address automatically, but the router's DHCP is not enabled. Does your setup program access the router via it's IP address? Check the router's setup and see if you can turn on DHCP.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarfer
    In the last few days I have got a broadband connection with a USB modem from my ISP.
    I have just received a Speedtouch 546 ADSL2+ modem, Router and Firewall. I have run the setup program but I still cannot access the internet using this modem. I am getting a yellow exclamation mark on the Local Area Connection on which the 546 is installed. The support tab shows the following text:
    "Limited or no connectivity
    You might not be able to access the internet or some network resource. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Does anyone know what I must do to get this working?

RedDwarfer
    I saw this error today on a DSL account that used a PPOE login. Although the LAN adaptor showed this error, if the person logged in using his DSL login, the Internet worked. He doesn't have a router, which I'll rectify tomorrow. His connection was being made (successfully) through the PPOE WAN miniport. Are you on a PPOE connection? If so, have you gone through the network wizard and set it up as a broadband connection that requires a username and password? Or have you set the router up to automatically login for you (a much better choice if you have the option), in which case you would set your machine up as a broadband connection that is always on, and make sure that it is not trying to use a PPOE connection.

Do you have a software firewall running on your computer? If so, turn it off and release / renew your ip address.

Quote Originally Posted by [Tarkus]
    From that error message I'm guessing that the computer is set to obtain an IP address automatically, but the router's DHCP is not enabled. Does your setup program access the router via it's IP address? Check the router's setup and see if you can turn on DHCP.
    It was set to a manually set IP address and DNS addresses as I have a static IP, but I have changed that back to automatically obtain the IP address and DNS addresses too. DHCP is enabled but I do not know whether the setup program accesses the router via it's IP address, I would need to know where to look for this.

Quote Originally Posted by [Sick Willie]
    I saw this error today on a DSL account that used a PPOE login. Although the LAN adaptor showed this error, if the person logged in using his DSL login, the Internet worked. He doesn't have a router, which I'll rectify tomorrow. His connection was being made (successfully) through the PPOE WAN miniport. Are you on a PPOE connection? If so, have you gone through the network wizard and set it up as a broadband connection that requires a username and password? Or have you set the router up to automatically login for you (a much better choice if you have the option), in which case you would set your machine up as a broadband connection that is always on, and make sure that it is not trying to use a PPOE connection.
    My ISP specifies "Encapsulation mode: PPP over ATM VCMUX" for the USB modem they supplied.
    The account setup is showing a tooltip of Wan Miniport (PPPOE) when I hover over the connection.

Is my Lan MAC address relevant as that doesn't seem to be set in my Bios?
    Any more suggestions are welcome as I know nothing about this subject. Many thanks for all help and suggestions.

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

when you do an ipconfig/all from cmd , what "node type" is listed ?

...My ISP specifies "Encapsulation mode: PPP over ATM VCMUX" for the USB modem they supplied.
    The account setup is showing a tooltip of Wan Miniport (PPPOE) when I hover over the connection.

Is my Lan MAC address relevant as that doesn't seem to be set in my Bios?
    Any more suggestions are welcome as I know nothing about this subject. Many thanks for all help and suggestions.

RedDwarfer
    If you're not using the ethernet NIC, the MAC address not being specified is not a problem. Does your modem not have an ethernet port on it? If not, I would be requesting (or buying) one that did.

It was set to a manually set IP address and DNS addresses as I have a static IP, but I have changed that back to automatically obtain the IP address and DNS addresses too. DHCP is enabled but I do not know whether the setup program accesses the router via it's IP address, I would need to know where to look for this.
    The computer should (well, not really *should* so much as can) be set to DHCP if the modem has a router inbuilt. However, if you have a static IP address from your ISP, the WAN side of the router should be set to whatever parameters you were supplied for IP address, DNS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MousePotato
    when you do an ipconfig/all from cmd , what "node type" is listed ?
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
    Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-F1-01-92

PPP adapter AccessRunner DSL: (this is the cheapy USB Modem supplied by my ISP that I am currently using.)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : [my IP address]
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [my IP address]
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.151.192.11

This was taken while my modem was off so I don't know whether it would be the same when on. It is Local Area Connection 3 (nVidia Lan) that is connected to the modem/router.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    If you're not using the ethernet NIC, the MAC address not being specified is not a problem. Does your modem not have an ethernet port on it? If not, I would be requesting (or buying) one that did.
    I am using the nVidia NIC, that is why I wondered about the MAC address. Yes my Speedtouch 546 has 4 ethernet ports on it

The computer should (well, not really *should* so much as can) be set to DHCP if the modem has a router inbuilt. However, if you have a static IP address from your ISP, the WAN side of the router should be set to whatever parameters you were supplied for IP address, DNS, etc.
    I presume that this is set in the network connections as I did change this before, I would appreciate being told were to look for the items you specify. I hope this makes things a bit clearer and thanks for the help.

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

I guess what was throwing me off was the reference to USB. So, what it sounds like now is that you have both a cheap USB modem from the DSL company and also a Speedtouch 546 ADSL2+ modem, Router and Firewall. Is this right? If it is, one of the main things you'll have to do is have your ISP provision the new modem so that their service will give it an IP address. We could then pick up on how to configue it, if in fact, any further configuration is necessary.

I guess what was throwing me off was the reference to USB. So, what it sounds like now is that you have both a cheap USB modem from the DSL company and also a Speedtouch 546 ADSL2+ modem, Router and Firewall. Is this right?
    Yes it is.

If it is, one of the main things you'll have to do is have your ISP provision the new modem so that their service will give it an IP address. We could then pick up on how to configue it, if in fact, any further configuration is necessary.
    The following info is all the information I have some came with the USB modem (the first 3 items), I don't know whether it is any help:

Virtual Circuit Identifier (VCI): 38
    Virtual Path Identifier (VPI): 0
    Encapsulation mode: PPP over ATM VCMUX.
    My IP address I know. (83.151.x.x) x = left blank by me
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS addresses: ns2.e7even.com (83.151.192.67)
    ns4.e7even.com (83.151.192.68)
    I have a username and password also.

I do not know what else is needed, I hope you will let me know of anything. Thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out.

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

You must contact your ISP and tell them that you are changing modems from the one they provided to the one you are wishing to use. They will ask you for some information that came with the modem - MAC address, etc., and will then set their end up to work with the new modem. You must do this first. At that point, they should provide you with any information you need to finish the installation. If not, come back here and we'll see what you need to finish.

Ok thanks I will do that a little later. I have had this modem a week now and still not used it

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

Okay I have contacted my ISP and they tell me there is nothing they have to configure for the modem to work, just that I must enter the username (which I have been doing with my USB modem as well). Here was me with all the info (Mac address, modem access code) from the sticker on the bottom of the modem ready as well

The only thing is I have tried entering the Username and it gave me an error and I also have an error relating to the nVidia Lan port as well like specified in my first post. So what do I do now?

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter
    NEC 3520 DVD ReWriter
    Not connected>
    Liteon 163D DVD
    Plexor W4824TA

Okay I have contacted my ISP and they tell me there is nothing they have to configure for the modem to work, just that I must enter the username (which I have been doing with my USB modem as well). Here was me with all the info (Mac address, modem access code) from the sticker on the bottom of the modem ready as well

The only thing is I have tried entering the Username and it gave me an error and I also have an error relating to the nVidia Lan port as well like specified in my first post. So what do I do now?

RedDwarfer
    So your DSL provider didn't need any information from your new modem in order to allow it to replace your old modem? Does your old modem still work? Did you get the new modem from your ISP or from someone else? I know these questions probably seem redundant, but it is imperative that your ISP know about the new modem. If they do, it would be useful for you to repost the same information you did in your 3rd post (the ouput from ipconfig /all) with the new modem powered on and the nvidia LAN adaptor connected to it. And, certainly, with the USB modem that you're not using disconnected.

I informed them of the modem model but they said they didn't need to configure anything at their end for it to work. I got the modem from somewhere else and not my ISP, but I did tell them the make and model but they didn't think there would be a problem. I am using my old (not old actually it's only a couple of weeks old, just cheap cheap lol) modem at the moment and it works except for dropped connections every now and then, I am not sure whether this is due to the phone line problems at the moment.
    I am having a few connection problems at the moment as BT(phone company) is working on the phone line as the line went dead last night, it still isn't right yet. Hopefully they will improve the line quality so my maximum line speed will improve Well I can always hope.

I will connect up the Speedtouch modem and do as you suggested and copy the results.

RedDwarfer
    Intel Q9450 CPU
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Benq 1640 DVD ReWriter