Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible solution to help incidents of child abuse go down

I say every high school kid should have to spend a total of 15 hours locked in a room with a doll immulating a baby. This doll will cry and scream and making noises the whole time. Unknown (or maybe known) to the teenagers is that every move in this room will be watched and they will be graded on their conduct. In this room, there may be television, video games, food, phones, whatever. The purpose would be to help teenagers, who will become adults one day and may have children of their own, to learn to cope with annoying behavior from babies.

Do you think this idea would be helpful? If not, what do you suggest? And please, let's not use stiffer penalties for those who abuse children as a solution. Those penalties happen after the fact. I'm looking for solutions that may prevent, or help prevent, child abuse before the fact.

Oh yea, this post was inspired by this http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4743403/detail.html

Re: Possible solution to help incidents of child abuse go down

if they did this to me, i would coiver the baby up with blankets, and if i could still hear it, i would smash it, just totally crush it with my shoe.

I would NOT like to do that.

Having a stupid doll that cies is different than having a real baby, and teens arent mature enoguh to have a baby. case closed.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    Having a stupid doll that cies is different than having a real baby, and teens arent mature enoguh to have a baby. case closed.
    Teens are also not old enough to be doctors, lawyers, or hold other critical positions in life. So, what you are suggesting is never train anyone before-hand? You have to help people develop or they never become capable. Also, ofcourse it's not the same as a real baby. Do you want people learning how to fly for the first time to fly real Boeing 747 airplanes with real passengers on board first? What kind of madness are you responding with?

some schools already have programs similar to what you want. the dolls are very lifelike, and expensive. the students must take care of the doll just as if it were real, and are monitored by a computer of some sorts inside the doll.

my ol lady collects berrenger dolls and really wants one of these "real" ones.

realcare baby
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by cwolv
    some schools already have programs similar to what you want. the dolls are very lifelike, and expensive. the students must take care of the doll just as if it were real, and are monitored by a computer of some sorts inside the doll.
    Two my kids have done that. Brought it home for a weekend. One of them stayed up all night with it cause it would cry about every 30 minutes. It taught him that he definitely wasn't ready to have kids.

When I was in high school, my girlfriend had one of those for a weekend. Boy that was a mood killer. But taught her that she didn't want kids! So we finally agreed on that. Of course now she's married and has 2.
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    Intel Q9300
    EVGA Geforce GTX260
    750GB Hitachi SATA HD
    250 GB Maxtor Ultra 16 SATA HD
    200 GB Western Digital SE PATA HD
    Samsung DVDRW
    Antec 850w PSU
    Antec P160 Case

Well, alot of the recent rise in child abuse cases in the past few years is because the term child abuse has changed over the years.

By that I mean, that when I did something wrong when I was a child, I got a spanking. When I got big enough my mother couldnt effectivly spank me with her hand, she used a switch or belt.

These days that would be considered child abuse, I say its good discpline.

Of course some parents do go far to far with spankings, but the vast majority only do whats neccesary to disipline the child.

As far as the topic, I would say probly not. I know I dont like children, I know I dont want children. If they gave me a doll like that to take care off when I was in highschool, it would have stayed in my locker over the weekend without a doubt.

Would I lock a real child in a locker for 3 days? Of course not, but that thing isnt a real child its a annoying doll.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

Note to "K"

You come up with some interesting topics that give us a break from partison politics.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Note to "K"

You come up with some interesting topics that give us a break from partison politics.

Thank you.
    Thanks Jim. I try to find what's common in all of us and use it to bring us closer together. It's too easy to look at petty differences and divvy ourselves into different groups. I bet all of us on this forum share more common views and interests with eachother than we realize.

Thanks again for the compliment!

Aside from the monumental resources it would take to do this to every child in America, I don't see any proof that this would be any more beneficial than the kinds of courses we are given now. A better idea might be to get the religious wackos away from teaching our kids ineffective courses when it comes to things like sex and family planning. Reducing the teenage pregnancy rate might do a better job than having kids sit in a room for 15 hours playing with a dollie. This is of course not to mention that while our kids are doing this, kids in other nations we compete with are studying things like calculus.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Aside from the monumental resources it would take to do this to every child in America, I don't see any proof that this would be any more beneficial than the kinds of courses we are given now. A better idea might be to get the religious wackos away from teaching our kids ineffective courses when it comes to things like sex and family planning. Reducing the teenage pregnancy rate might do a better job than having kids sit in a room for 15 hours playing with a dollie. This is of course not to mention that while our kids are doing this, kids in other nations we compete with are studying things like calculus.
    By my count, you managed to insult 'K-'s idea, current classes on sex and family planning, and our entire school system. Not to mention I've met as many wacko people that are non-religious as I have religious ones, I'm not sure where that part fit in (perhaps I missed that particular class taught by 'religious wackos' in high school?).

I did not, however, see you post a solution you thought might be effective. Should I take this to mean you believe there is nothing we can do about the situation and we should just be complacent about where our contry's education has fallen?

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    Do you think this idea would be helpful? If not, what do you suggest?
    Now, slightly more on-topic, I'm not sure of the feasibility of this plan, though I think it has a lot of merit.

I think a take-home solution with the doll would be best simply because I think you'd get a more natural reaction and it would have a deeper impact on a person. Sitting in a classroom with a kid is one thing, trying to go see a movie with your friends with a baby crying on your shoulder is something else, and I think the latter would have a much larger impact.

But what would be the consequences of shoving the baby in your locker? Getting told that you will be an unfit parent? Failing a (mandataroy?) class?

Perhaps there is the deeper culture factor underlying this problem. In my opinion, I think this ties into a lot of other issues, and they would need to be addressed in this class as well, such as the lack of personal responsibility by parents these days.

Before I get too much further in my rant, I'm going to stop for now and mull this idea over. Thanks 'K-, I think it's a great topic and has given me something to think about on a dull afternoon.

Astaroth

Yes, I criticized his idea. He asked people to. It's also TLR, so get over it. Did I insult SOME of the classes on family planning and how they've become subverted by movements such as abstinence programs that don't work? Of course I did. I'm not sure if you've been around while this was debated a few months ago but the US has the HIGHEST rate of teenage pregnancy in the free world. Certain interest groups like to push public policies such as education to align with their opinions and values even if it ends up with more children with STD's (some of which, obviously, are deadly) and more kids with babies. They of course don't care too much about it because these programs make them feel good and they could care less about the real consequences. As for what part all of this fits in, I make my posts with an assumption that people have a general understanding of mainstream American politics. If you don't understand religions current role in US politics, then please start a thread and ask to have it explained or spend some time googling it.

I did give some ideas on what to do. I said that it would be unlikely that this idea would lead to any better results than mainstream family education classes. I also noted that getting our kids an education that will let them (and thus this country) compete with the likes of Germany, France, Japan, Korea, China, India, etc, might serve their purpose a little better than experimenting with unique one on one classes for one specific social topic. I didn't feel the need to overtly explain each and every nuance of what I said. I realy don't have the time and generally the people in TLR have the ability to figure out things for themselves.

Seems I'm chasing you all around TLR.

It has nothing to do with understanding nuances.

I did give some ideas on what to do. I said that it would be unlikely that this idea would lead to any better results than mainstream family education classes.
    I don't know if I'd call your suggestion on dropping the existing classes (effective or not), a suggestion for how to reduce child abuse cases. Something may not be effective, but saying it shouldn't be taught isn't a solution to fix the problem the current classes fail to resolve.

Did I insult SOME of the classes on family planning and how they've become subverted by movements such as abstinence programs that don't work?
    A better idea might be to get the religious wackos away from teaching our kids ineffective courses when it comes to things like sex and family planning.
    Are religous wackos the only ones advocating abstinence? And again, what I said above, these quotes, to me, don't count as a solution to fix child abuse problems.

Certain interest groups like to push public policies such as education to align with their opinions and values even if it ends up with more children with STD's (some of which, obviously, are deadly) and more kids with babies. They of course don't care too much about it because these programs make them feel good and they could care less about the real consequences.
    Assuming you're again referring to religious wackos and their abstinence programs, I don't see how abstinence results in more STD's and teen pregnanices...

As for what part all of this fits in, I make my posts with an assumption that people have a general understanding of mainstream American politics. If you don't understand religions current role in US politics, then please start a thread and ask to have it explained or spend some time googling it.
    I understand politics just fine, I just don't see the need to label one action as coming from religious wackos or one party. In fact, I don't think there is any part of this thread that should be political. As far as I know, there are no political parties that advocate child abuse. We may all have our different views on how to fix the problems, but just because I may believe in abstinence doesn't necessarily make me a religious wacko right wing hardliner, does it?

I also noted that getting our kids an education that will let them (and thus this country) compete with the likes of Germany, France, Japan, Korea, China, India, etc, might serve their purpose a little better than experimenting with unique one on one classes for one specific social topic.
    I feel that social classes are just as important. What good is having a nation of people who can do calculus level math in their head if they are so socially ignorant they can't raise their own children. I'd imagine that great generation of super-smart people won't last too long.

Children are our future, and we need to teach them more than how to do basic math.

I'm not trying to pick on you, afalzone, I just didn't feel your first post contributed anything other than you saying you don't like the idea. Now at least, (if the original poster would like), we could also discuss the merit having social classes at all versus purely academic classes in an attempt to catch our education system up with some of theo ther nations.

Astaroth

Perhaps before you comment on the effectiveness of abstinence programs, you should search either here or google and get some data before debating the issue. I have no problem at all with mainstream family planning sessions, hence my reference to SOME of the classes. Modern day curriculum, when left to educators and not subjugated by political ideals, do a good job of teaching children about such things as family planning. Social classes are important, but locking a kid in a room alone with a doll isn't going to make this country stronger. We will only had a nation full of kids who are well trained on how to take care of, well, dolls. Don't worry about picking on me. The open minded are almost always outnumbered (though rarely outgunned) here, so it really doesn't bother me.

Perhaps before you comment on the effectiveness of abstinence programs, you should search either here or google and get some data before debating the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth125
    I don't see how abstinence results in more STD's and teen
    pregnanices...
    The effectiveness of abstinence is 100%. Abstinence programs are a different story, and since you brought it up, I don't see me having to prove proof of your claim, that burden is on you. I'll discuss the effectiveness of the programs when you come up with numbers from a somewhat credible source on how many programs there, and what the rates of teen sex, pregnancy and STD rates are in the students of those programs. Don't come at me saying that overall in the US teen pregnancy is up and the programs that are taught in 1% of schools must not be working. That just means it's not widespread.

I have no problem at all with mainstream family planning sessions, hence my reference to SOME of the classes. Modern day curriculum, when left to educators and not subjugated by political ideals, do a good job of teaching children about such things as family planning. Social classes are important, but locking a kid in a room alone with a doll isn't going to make this country stronger.
    I'm glad we agree social classes are important. So, you don't like abstinence programs, you don't like doll-based programs. Is your solution to continue using the programs we have in place? Since you haven't brought forth another suggestion, I'll assume you support our current, non-abstinence based programs, in which case, I direct you to the following quote, made by yourself.

I'm not sure if you've been around while this was debated a few months ago but the US has the HIGHEST rate of teenage pregnancy in the free world. Certain interest groups like to push public policies such as education to align with their opinions and values even if it ends up with more children with STD's (some of which, obviously, are deadly) and more kids with babies.
    Obviously, these programs you seem to support aren't working, from what you said previously. If you would like to ammend your stance and share a suggestion that you think would help reduce child abuuse, teen pregnancy and teen STD's, I'm all ears.

We will only had a nation full of kids who are well trained on how to take care of, well, dolls.
    Don't know how many times I need to say this: propose a solution. See above paragraph and quotes for more details.

Don't worry about picking on me. The open minded are almost always outnumbered (though rarely outgunned) here, so it really doesn't bother me.
    I'm glad you understand I'm not picking on your personally. Though everyone always seems open-minded to themself...

Astaroth