A7n8x dlx. - is bus mastering supported by all PCI slots ?

I am installing two ATA 133 PCI controller cards for hard drives.

To support DMA and such features, the PCI slots needs to support bus mastering. Maxtor told me that usually a motherboard has one bus mastering slot, sometimes more. If there is just one, it us usually the one right next to the AGP slot. I can not even use that one due to the video card.

So, do all or any or some of the PCI slots suppport bus mastering on the 1.04Rev. board ?

This is not in the manual as far as I can tell. Do you guys know the answer ?

thanks.

Re: A7n8x dlx. - is bus mastering supported by all PCI slots ?

Quote Originally Posted by brjoon1021
    I am installing two ATA 133 PCI controller cards for hard drives.

To support DMA and such features, the PCI slots needs to support bus mastering. Maxtor told me that usually a motherboard has one bus mastering slot, sometimes more. If there is just one, it us usually the one right next to the AGP slot. I can not even use that one due to the video card.

So, do all or any or some of the PCI slots suppport bus mastering on the 1.04Rev. board ?

This is not in the manual as far as I can tell. Do you guys know the answer ?

thanks.
    Good question. The last I recall of bus mastering slots was in the days of pre-windows 95. As far as I know, you can use any slot with modern OS's. Even default MS drivers are DMA enabled. I don't think the slot matters at all if you are using the default APIC and ACPI configurations. A conflict might come up if you use a slot shared with a busy device (see sticky post at A7N8X->Common Questions->Miscellaneous->"Full IRQ List"), but other than that, I think your modern OS and old PCI standards are supposed to take care of this.

Err, bump.

The're all BM slots. On boards such as that with so many integral features it becomes even more of an issue to try different slots, not sharing with another greedy device. You might benchmark in different configs, make sure the sound doesn't stutter too.

I have a Promise 133 PCI controller card that works fine in the A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe with Windows 2000 Pro. Didn't pick a special slot, just plugged it in and installed the drivers. Has worked great for two years!
    MSI K8N Neo2, Opteron 180, 2GB G.SKILL PC3200, ATI AIW 9600XT, Cooler Master Centurion 5 mid tower/Cooler Master RP-600-PCAR
    GA-K8NS-939, Opteron 175, 1GB PNY Verto PC3500 , ATI AIW 9600XT, Antec Super LANBOY mid tower/Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY
    A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Lian Li Mid tower/Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY
    AN7, XP-M 2800+ @218x11, 1GB HyperX PC3200, ATI AIW 9600XT, Antec Super LANBOY mid tower/Antec TPII Blue 480

http://classicplatforms.com/ Keeping "Old Tech" new.
    (formerly was known as SocketAPlus.com)