Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You're Not A Failure!

For crying out loud, I've heard rumor that in Grand Rapids, MI, teachers are not allowed to use red ink when grading papers because the students find it traumatizing. Now bear witness to an even more incredibly ridiculous idea...

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.clickondetroit.com/education/4753905/detail.html

Teachers Want To Remove 'Failed' Word From Classroom

Teachers Propose Replacing 'Failed' With 'Deferred Success'

UPDATED: 3:49 pm EDT July 21, 2005

There soon could be another F-word that might be banned from classrooms in England -- the word "failed."

Some members of the Professional Association of Teachers say that telling students that they've failed can put them off learning for life. The teachers propose to replace the word "failed" with the phrase "deferred success."

Liz Beattie, a retired schoolteacher, pitched the proposal, saying that teachers should avoid labeling children as failures because they need encouragement, not labels.

"We are talking about young people who struggle to read, write and can't relate to other people," said Jean Gemmell, PAT general secretary. "These are things you cannot be allowed to fail at."

But not everybody is in love with the concept.

The United Kingdom's Education Secretary, Ruth Kelly, said that children must learn about success and failure in order to prepare themselves for adult life.

The teachers association will debate the proposal at their annual PAT conference next week.

If the motion is accepted, it will be made policy for their 35,000 members from preschool, elementary and middle schools across the United Kingdom.
    Link stolen from http://www.clickondetroit.com/educat...05/detail.html

I guess the debate topic here would be how far is far enough to go when trying to encourage students to learn? Banning red ink pens? Finding something good about every answer a student gives? Passing every student whether they comprehend or not? When do we stop over-coddling our children and let them understand you have to put in the work to get the result?

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Re: You're Not A Failure!

Let's just give everyone an "A" who shows up! How lovely and happy we all would be!
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    Let's just give everyone an "A" who shows up! How lovely and happy we all would be!
    I like that idea. That is the true definition of 'no child left behind.'

EDIT: Wait! You can't start giving out B's and below to someone just because they didn't show up. Huh! *puts both hands on hips* We have to give A's to anyone who registers whether they show up or not. Some people are merely attendance-challenged and should not be punished for that.
    Last edited by 'K-; 07-21-2005 at 10:15 PM.

I think I would prefer that after a life threatening accident the doctor that treats me got A's in school rather then feel good about himself :/

Regardless, they say they want 100% of people to graduate from highschool. "CONGRATULATIONS, you have a pulse!" I think they should make high school much more difficult so that the degree means something and so when you go to college for 4 years the first two aren't spent redoing highschool :/
    i code therefore i am

All I can say is, teachers and the organizations that purport to speak for them have completely different opinions on nearly every aspect of the education system. I have yet to meet an actual teacher that would support this, and my wife and several friends have been teaching for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    All I can say is, teachers and the organizations that purport to speak for them have completely different opinions on nearly every aspect of the education system.
    That is so true. My wife is a teacher, and she gets so tired of teaching to the tests the kids take to "grade" the school. When I was in primary school decades ago, we were tested every 3 or 4 years. Now, kids are tested several times per year to compile useless statistics to be used by the administration and politicians to beg for more taxpayer money, which ultimately does little to improve the quality of the education that the students receive.
    AMD AthlonXP 3000 (Barton) @ 2.3GHz
    ASUS A7N8X-E Dlx 1.08 w/ 1024 RAM
    Memorex DVD-R/W, DVD-ROM
    80 GB & 160 GB SATA & 120 GB PATA Hard drives
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Samsung 19" Monitor 955DF

'deferred failure' LOL. Silly woman.

It's feckless people like her who ban competitive sports from school "sports days". Well, we can't have "young people" losing can we? It will crush them.

Not winning is part of life. Get used to it.

Kind of remembers me to what mentally handicapped get to hear:

"You're not handicapped, you're special"

Might work for those ppl, but why send children to school if you're not going to correct them anyway?

Don't get me started...

mostholy's right though...

From yet another husband of a teacher, a big "AMEN" to the words of mostholycerebus. My wife hasn't used a red pen in the past five years or so. Purple, green, and blue seem to be OK still, but I'm sure their days are numbered, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    Don't get me started...

mostholy's right though...
    No way in h*ll that I’m getting involved in this one…
    Thank A Democrat... Vote DNC

AOC... New Leader DNC ....

My god that is sad.

If only the people running the country would realize that alot of the reason kids are so pathetic these days is because we are so soft on them.

Highschool should be as hard as a good college honestly. The only diffrence between highschool and college should be the subjects that they teach.

Kids today are to soft, to sensitive, to protected, let the kid get out there and get his ass kicked, let the kid fail a class or two. Learning things the hard way is always the best teacher. Usally the most painful, but the best.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

This kind of thing was tried in the US in the 80s and 90s, and it has proven to be a miserable failure. It's produced a huge generation of kids that can't take criticism, and are simply emotionally unfit to be in society.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I understand the concept of "positive reinforcement"..but this "feelgood" mindset is a load of bull. Maybe it makes sense to accentuate the positive...but ignoring the negative is a good intention gone wrong.

"Gee Johnny...you sure did a neat and skillfull job chopping up little fluffy the neighbor's cat"...."maybe youre a Doctor in the making" [Mom and Dad smile approvingly with a thumbs up signal to their twisted kid as they eat their tunafish salad on Wonderbread]

^^Yeah a Doctor in the making. Dr. Phibes.

"Our Johnny is special and unique"

Right folks. Just like Charles Manson you yuppie name-dropping wastes if skin..

Heres a kid by 10th grade.... that was never told he was wrong and some things are not acceptable...like failure

Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-22-2005 at 04:38 PM.

LOL

I've given this thread a 5 star 'excellent' rating because I don't want it to feel like an underachiever.