Cool A8N-E & nForce IDE Driver Woes - FIXED

I've been wrestling with this one for a little while now, and I just can't seem to figure it out...

Without the nForce IDE driver installed (i.e. using the generic Microsoft IDE driver), my system behaves normally, except I have troubles burning CDs and DVDs. Basically, when burning, I get frequent buffer underruns, which causes the underrun protection to kick in, which in turn causes the burn to take much longer than it should (like 20 minutes for a 4.7GB DVD @ 16x.) In the end, the burns usually turn out ok though.

With the nForce IDE driver installed, I can burn CDs and DVDs without any issues; however, it seems to cause some very abnormal system behavior. When the PC first boots into WinXP, everything is fine. After it has been running for a while, if I try to open any program (even Task Manager or Explorer), the system will hang... But I don't mean lock up solid - the keyboard and mouse are still functional, and some things will work (I can still open things like services.msc.) I can't even do a proper shutdown when this problem occurs; I have to do a hard reset.

This occurs with both nForce v6.53 (IDE v5.18) and v6.39 (IDE v5.07). I haven't tried the new v6.66 yet (although with a version number like that, it doesn't bode well, does it )

Note that this problem does not appear to be related to overclocking, as it occurs at stock speeds as well. I have also checked to make sure the IDE channel is set to DMA mode, not PIO.

I'm stumped... Any suggestions are welcome. TIA.

• CDRW - Mitsumi CR-48somethingorother
    • DVDRW- Pioneer DVR-108
    • Both on Secondary IDE channel.
    Last edited by Terwilliger; 07-27-2005 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Problem Solved

Re: A8N-E & nForce IDE Driver Woes

Simple answer is that uninstall Nvidia Ide drivers. They are like that with all other NF boards too (biostar, Msi) and do not work properly. Normal ide drivers are working good and stable. Do not try 6.66 because you cannot uninstall them (ide sw drivers).

Same thing with SATA hard disks.

Bugger. I was afraid of that. So is there any way to fix the CD/DVD burning issues with the Microsoft-supplied drivers?

You MUST use all other Nvidia drivers than IDE drivers-there are no problems with that combination. (vid card only if you have nvidia vidcard). Update your burning program tio newest one.Especially if Nero, it must be done especially if you use sp2 on WinXp. (You should use that).

That seems to be related to burning software, not IDE drivers...At least I had...

I managed to get it sorted out.

It turned out that the PATA controller was "stuck" in PIO mode (I know... I could have sworn I checked that), even though I had selected DMA mode in the Advanced Settings for the IDE channel that the drives were connected to.

To fix it, I had to force Windows to redetect the DMA settings by deleting the MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum values from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000 thru ...\0012 registry keys (wasn't entirely sure which key was for which channel, so I just did them all.)

Everything has been peachy since.
    Last edited by Terwilliger; 07-27-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terwilliger
    It turned out that the PATA controller was "stuck" in PIO mode (I know... I could have sworn I checked that), even though I had selected DMA mode in the Advanced Settings for the IDE channel that the drives were connected to.
    I think it switches to PIO mode automatically if there are read/write errors. It was happening to me a couple of years back on my hard drive, and was caused by incompatable memory.
    Last edited by rbwilton; 07-28-2005 at 01:54 PM.
    Gigabyte DS3, E4300, 7900GS, 2x1GB OCZ pc6400, Antec 650 Trio, 3GHZ
    Asus A8N-E, Opteron 165, x800Pro, XP90 2.85 ghz
    Gigiabyte K8N51PVMT Micro, NV6600
    Abit Nf7s v2.0 M2600+, Biostar M7NCD pro M2400+, Shuttle AN35 M2200+