Slow internet through router

I have just recently started having problems with my Lynksys "network everywhere" cable/DSL 4-port router model NR041.

I have Srint DSL 1.5/256 connection

I am getting horrible download speeds through my router... about 175 kilobits ber second. My upload speed is just fine.

I am getting advertised speeds when i take my router out of the equation.

I have the router at default settings except for the device IP address is 192.168.2.1 since the DSL modem resides at 192.168.1.1.

I have tried resetting both the DSL modem and the router.
    I have also upgraded the routers firmware with no improvements.

Any ideas?
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4-D w/SLI mod 623/3 BIOS
    3000 Venice @2655
    2x512 OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev. 2 @ 295 1:1
    XP90/Panaflo
    Fortron Blue Storm 500w PSU
    Sapphire x800Pro
    2xHitachi 80gig HD's SATA II in RAID 0
    Artec Dual Layer DVD Writer

Re: Slow internet through router

Have you tried without the router in place, I've seen it where the connection itself has been the issue.

My speeds without the router are just fine.
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4-D w/SLI mod 623/3 BIOS
    3000 Venice @2655
    2x512 OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev. 2 @ 295 1:1
    XP90/Panaflo
    Fortron Blue Storm 500w PSU
    Sapphire x800Pro
    2xHitachi 80gig HD's SATA II in RAID 0
    Artec Dual Layer DVD Writer

im using the same router (picked it up for $40 a couple years ago)and it seems to work fine, but it seems to stop distributing IPs to connected computers every week or so. i have on occasion had it completely crap out for a few days.

The network every brand are repackaged linksys models, unfortuntely the quality control isn't all that good and there firmware appears to be locked.

You might want to consider switching to a different router or seeing if you can rma the current one.

I have the 8 port DSL/Cable modem Linksys router which seems to work well speeds are comparable to not having the router at all although when you start a browser the first time after switching on a computer it takes a few extra seconds - it is fairly cheap and the simplest thing in the world to set up - real plug 'n' play rather than plug 'n' pray!

Have you tied going up to tools/internet options, connection then selecting LAN settings and then uncheck "automaticaly detect settings"?

Hmm, in your first post, you mean 175? or 75?, check in the settings, my router has QOS on it, that might be it, and if not http://www.portforward.com/networkev...nr041-dhcp.htm I think thats yours, if not http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm try to find it, for the static ip, it might not help, but it might , and I find it makes it way easier to open ports and setup a lot of things.

He's moved on to a new router and is now having issues with the browser opening slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    He's moved on to a new router and is now having issues with the browser opening slowly.
    Not only has he moved on to a new router, he's moved on to a new name! (or it's not the same person that started the thread).

@cjs150,

If it's not what Bryan suggested, and If you're using the router on a DSL connection, and if the connection is PPOE, it could be that you have the router set to connect on demand rather than to keep the connection alive.