Unhappy Weird stuff going on?!?!

OK, so I've been spending all my time in the Traders forum pawning off all my old stuff, but I've gotten into watercooling my NF2 Infinity and 9800 Pro. Not really sure if it's at all related, but I've been noticing a couple weird things. I'm hearing a strange sound coming from what sounds like the SATA HDD's, kind of a "CLICK-click." Almost like the heads parking but not quite. (I've been leaving my rig on 24/7 with the water) I have not seen any lockups or anything like I have before when I had HDD issues.

Then, about an hour ago, my rig just totally shut off. My PC is hooked up to an APC battery backup, which was beeping like crazy. Of course, I checked for leaks in the watercooling loop before I turned it back on, but it went OK from there. CPU temps were fine in the BIOS so I booted the rest of the way.

Finally, the only other weird thing is that my rig is not longer as stable as it used to be. I knew this before I went to water, but the water cooling hasn't changed it. I wonder if it has something to do with my BIOS getting corrupted a while back and having to get a new chip. I used to run the 12-31 BIOS all the time, but the chip came from DFI with the latest official on it. I think the stability issue is from that (just my mobo being picky about the BIOS, or maybe the CMOS and BIOS not agreeing on some settings...), but what do you guys think about the other stuff? I'm lost...

Re: Weird stuff going on?!?!

Anybody have any ideas?

the clicking hard drive is definately suspect as you must realize.

i never had much joy with any bios other than 2-15 or earlier. have you tried flashing to your prefered 12-31?

could the sudden crash have been caused by heat from some other componant?(SB? mosfets?)
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    **cruncher #2 lp-dk x58/w3520@4100 ***cruncher #3 tpower x58/w3520@4100 ****cruncher #4 dx58so/w3520@4100
    *****cruncher #5 m2f/x3360@3910 ******cruncher #6 790i/q6600@3600

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

t_ski you sure you are now just 'able' to hear the calibration cycle of the hard drives since it is quieter with water? The calibration cycle used to be notorious for that noise when I first heard many users moving toward water. Not much said about since then as I think all sort of identified the noise. It is a thought that occurred.

RGone...
    If I can still assist; use my
    address in profile. RGone...

Thanks for the replies, guys. First to loonym, I definitely have thought of going back to the 12-31. I was hoping I could hotflash the old chip to 12-31, but I'm not sure if it's salvagable. Part of my concern is that I know DFI recemmended all those extra switches for the famous 6-19 and later because of conflicting defaults between the two of them. I wondered if there would be a similar problem going backwards as well. And the heat issue I don't think is a problem, as everything is right now the way it was back when it was stable (heatsinks on all the mosfets, NB32J on the SB, etc). For the sudden crash I almost suspect my APC unit, as maybe the draw finally got to it or something.

To RGone, I would have to say I've never heard of this calibration cycle before, nor would I be able to say I've heard anything like it. The only thing I can compare it to is the heads unparking when the drive spins up. As I stated before now that I've gone to water I'm leaving it on all the time for the pump's sake, so I've changed the computer's setup to go to standby when I press the sleep button (where it used to shut off) or after one hour. The hard drives are set to power down then as well, but all this is set in Windows. Should I make any changes in the BIOS? I think everything there is pretty much default.

In general I'd have to say these Hitachi drives are some of the quietest drives I've ever had. I do know that they are somewhat related to the infamous IBM "DeathStar" drives that had serious failure issues due to a controller chip overheating. When I put everything back together this last time I did move the drives up in the case so they wouldn't interfere with the airflow coming into the case. Could that be a problem? If I figured it out correctly, I have the drives receognized in MBM and the temp sensor is reading about 34C. I guess I'll try loading the drive up with a defrag or bench test while MBM is running to see if the temp changes.

BTW, I have SMART enabled in the BIOS - is there a good utility that can read and/or check the drives condition?
    Last edited by t_ski; 08-08-2005 at 02:05 AM.

You could use speedfan to monitor SMART condition of your harddrives. I use it on my server and it works like a charm.
    DFI LanParty UT NF4Ultra-D
    AMD Athlon64 3200+@ 260x10 - Venice
    2*512MB HyperX 4000
    Club3D X800XL @ 475/560
    LiteOn DVD DL burner
    2 x Maxtor 120GB SATA Raid 0
    Audigy2 ZS
    Antec NeoPower 480W
    Koolance PC2-601 H2O cooling.

OK, I'll look into that. What kind of information does it display? Does it only tell me if something is wrong?

I usually recommend the 6/19 AWDFlash bios from the DFI web w/setups similar to yours, I use these switches, /cc /cd /cp /sn /py /e /qi

I know the MBM5 proggy won't display my HD temps using Sata Raid-0

I got speedfan 4.25 and it doesn't list any SMART info, althought the "Fitness" and "Performance" bars at the bottom of the SMART tab are full. How do I set it up to read the drives' temp? On the Config button, Advanced tab, it lists the HD0 (184.7GB) at $0 on SMART. My drive is listed under the supported drives on the website, but there isn't anything listed on the tab.

Playah, do you know if any program will not disply the info when using RAID? Also, the switches you suggested, what are they for, and are they required for going backwards?

Playah, do you know if any program will not disply the info when using RAID? Also, the switches you suggested, what are they for, and are they required for going backwards?
    I haven't found any monitoring proggys that will display temps w/Raid

Here's a good read that explains the switches,
    http://www.lejabeach.com/Guide/awardbios.html

Over on the Street in the 32bit sec,a few of us that like to try out biosis have found these switches seem to have a high success rate,no failures that I know of if the bios chip is good

OK, thanks. I've bookmarked it and will check it out when I get home tonight.

Oh, and as a side note, the temp that I had displayed for the HDD's did not change when the drive was loaded, which helps supports what playah says.

Ok, I did a little looking. DFI recommends the following for flashing the 6-19 BIOS:

1. Please give instruction "AWDFLASH N24ID619.BIN /F/QI/CC/Sn/Py" upon flashing BIOS.
    I found all the switches listed on the link playah provided ecxept for /QI. Anyone know what it means?

Getting closer to flashing...

I found some RGonian explanation for switches,

Not confusing really, Homework me man, just homework.
    /py = flash bios dumb nuts flasher and get after it.

/F= flash and don't do a bunch of looking around mr flasher.

/e= stick me back to A:\> so I can flash twice like I should.

/qi= if you got part number problems ask me and I will tell you flash the sum beech.

/sn= why in hale would I save a dorked bios = NO SAVE.

/tiny= how in hale would I know why it works so well for silly bioses that don't like to flash but it does because it only reads a small percentage of the bios file to memory before actually flashing onto the Eprom and thus has less chance of dorking.

All translations are purely RGoneian and furnished by him.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster> quickmath

OH, yeah - that explains everything...

Quote Originally Posted by t_ski
    OH, yeah - that explains everything...
    Thought you might appreciate that RGonian explanation