Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asus A8V Memory problem.. A known problem but need help in Timings..

Hi..

I have 2 x 512 mb DDR 400 in my system running Dual and I have added another 2 x 512 mb DDR 400 ...

Now I have a few questions if any one can answer as Im a noob to Memory etc etc ..

As Im aware the Asus A8V Deluxe has a problem when running 4 x 512 sticks, it some how reduces its speed from DDR 400 to DDR333 as seen on the Asus Web site ..

Why does A8V Deluxe automatically down-grade from DDR400 to DDR333 when four DIMMs of memory are plugged?
    Answer *

It is a protective function when system cannot boot up or any instable symptoms due to memory itself. Please enter BIOS setting and manually adjust memory frequency to 200MHz.
    So , Im unsure as to manually set my clock speed in the A8V Deluxe becuase it doesnt really make it easy for me. Ive tried reading this forum thread Here

They talk about setting the command rate to 2T and set the RAM speed manually to fix the problem... Im not sure how...

their is a noticable difference becuase when I run the Hl2 / CS S Stress test I loose 20 fps overall. So I guess If I was to change the Memory clock Speeds etc etc it would improve ..

Also The ram I have is off different Latency.. 2 @ 2.5 Latency and 2 stick of 3 Latency... Does this make much difference knowing it runs a slower speed...

Thx for any help..

These are my current settings as per CPUZ

Final Note , games such as BF2 use much Memory (Around 1.3 Gig) now becuase my Stress Test results are lower will this have an impact on more demanding games or will I see a much more stable game becuase of more ram even though its running slower ?

Hope I can get the most out of my 4 x sticks of DDR..
    Last edited by sifter; 08-10-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Re: Asus A8V Memory problem.. A know problem but need help in Timings..

It appears that you might have a hard time getting it to run @ DDR400 speeds. I have tried the same thing, to no avail. Take a look at this Here. It appears that the 939 AMD64's can only max out at DDR333 with 4 Dual sided memory sticks. I was not able to make it go, so I hope that you have better luck.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe v2.00 (1014)
    AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    2 -- Maxtor 6B080M0 Raid 0
    Hitachi -- HDS722525VLAT80 200Gig
    BFG GeForce FX5900XT 128 Meg
    Liteon XJ-HD166S DVD-ROM
    Sony DRU-720A DVD±RW DL
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Netgear WG311v2 802.11g PCI Adapter
    Samsung SyncMaster 910T
    Logitech MX900 Keyboard & Mouse
    Windows XP Pro SP2

The Newcastle core dosn't have the memory controller improvements of the Venice, SanDiego, & X2 CPUs.

Nothing to do with the motherboard

Everything to do with the CPU revision...

Oh dear... I wasnt aware prior to purchasing the new memory.. Even at the slower speed @ 333 I see an improvement playing BattleField 2 (Lot of difference)

But I guess I shall have to purchase a new CPU , AMD 64 3800 Venice should do it...

Ive read across the internet that some people can get it to run @ DDR 400 but I dont see the same settings on my board even with latest bios..
    Last edited by sifter; 08-09-2005 at 05:29 PM.

the new memory I was using was off different Latency , same brand but different Lantency..

I have replaced it with same Lan and now my system Detects it as DDR400 (With Manual Setting) but its very unstable and anything over 210 then it crashes... Any ideas on how to maintain a higher clock speed but more stable ?

Thx

PS. This is my memory HERE

Mem Shot

SPD

*Update...

Ive set timings as Per Everest

@ 200 mhz Timings = 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) but still unstable with no over clock :-(

Ideas ?
    Last edited by sifter; 08-09-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Have you tried bumping up the memory voltage a notch or two ?
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

Quote Originally Posted by CMB
    Have you tried bumping up the memory voltage a notch or two ?
    no I havnt , not yet anyways. Im not a Memory tweaker so knowlege is little. I shall give it a go tonight...

Thx

Tested and failed :-(

Current DDR Voltage is 2.7 , I upped it to 2.8 (Last Setting) and when run with the above timings I cant even load a game (No response)

But it runs just fine at 166 (333 DDR) with no CPU overclock, right?

I wouldn't be using your copy of Windows, and your hard drive to test your memory overclocks. I would use Memtest so that you don't permanently damage anything.

You are getting that instability from errors in reading and writing. When it writes, it is writing to your hard drive. Errors written to your hard drive are referred to as corruption. Eventually it can (and probably will) result in an unbootable system, and loss of your data.

I would not start Windows at any settings unless memtest shows no errors. No memtest errors doesn't mean everything will be fine, but it is kind of your only alternative for testing. That is, unless you plan to re-install anyway; which would not be a bad idea after all these errors. You probably already have some corruption in there somewhere.

Oh ok , didint know that.. Thx for the info..

So set my timmings and run the memory test. When its stable and only when its stable boot system up...

Quote Originally Posted by sifter
    Oh ok , didint know that.. Thx for the info..

So set my timmings and run the memory test. When its stable and only when its stable boot system up...
    Yes. It should be explained in that link.

If you change your FSB (HTT), your memory frequency, get new RAM, a new CPU, and even when you are just building a new system, run Memtest and see oif any errors come up. If it runs through all of the tests with no errors, it is probably safe to go ahead and try to boot/install an operating system and see how things go. If you get errors, you have a hardware issue and will definitely have further problems trying to run the OS.

Also, the memory makers all use memtest as well to test. So when dealing with an RMA situation, errors on Memtest is pretty good evidence. See the link given above.

Thx for your help.. It helped much..

Since my last post I have done nothing but run MemTest and have come to a final conclusion..

With all 4 inserted and default Bios settings the memory does not show any errors with 2 Passes..

When Memory is set @ DDR 400 on the 7th test @ 98% it scrolls many errors..

So at least this narrows me down to only carry out test 7 for further testing..

With only 1 stick testing it is much quicker and all sticks pass the tests @ default settings of DDR 400..

So, all 4 sticks will not run @ DDR 400 , tried raising the Voltage etc etc but noy joy so tells me its a CPU problem recognised by the Asus Mobo as stated in their Faq..

So my work around is ..

Setting the Memory @ 2:5 DDR 333 then raising the CPU clock to 218 and running the tests again and it runs fine... CPU @ 225 I get errors again on Test 7..

Memory is @ 185.5 mhz so its little faster than what Ive achived before...

it will do unless I exchange Memory for 2 x Sticks of 1 gig or replace my CPU with a Venice chip..
    Last edited by sifter; 08-10-2005 at 05:22 PM.

Sounds like you have tested well and know now what it can/can't do.

Thx sir.... Taught me well...

Re: Asus A8V Memory problem.. A known problem but need help in Timings..

i have 4 sticks of 512megs pc3500 ram in my a8v deluxe. i've tried to understand my thread is it true that my motherboard will not do dual channel for the last 2 banks of pc3500 512meg ram chips ? if there is a solution could you please tell me in plain and simple steps what i need to do. i do have venice core.

thank you