Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Re: GOP - Setting the ethics bar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1974

Well there is Delay's mugshot. I have to give credit where credit is due. There no booking number sign in front of him and he's smiling like it's a photo op. There's no way you can look at this photo in a negative way. It looks like a passport photo or something. That's really smart on his part.

I'm gonna email and see if I can get an autographed copy. ;p
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    Guess the MSM missed these indictments. Guess a trumped up indictment on DeLay with no evidence is big news vs. :

1) voter fraud
    2) tax evasion
    3) obstruction of justice
    4) plotting to kill a government witness
    5) running a prostitution ring out of City Hall

Yet another free pass handed out by the media for Democrats.

More Democrats to be Indicted in East St. Louis
    Ya, that's really the same thing as one of the most powerful person in the republican party getting indicted.........

^^I understand there is HUGE demand for signed copies. Too funny. More money for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz
    Ya, that's really the same thing as one of the most powerful person in the republican party getting indicted.........

I'm sorry to burst your bubble wiz, but what indictments? Looks as if the Liberals wet dream is not gonna happen: NY Times: Karl Rove, Lewis Libby Likely Cleared on Leakgate Charges.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^^ It's from the NT Times, it must be true...lol. Linky:

NY Times: Karl Rove, Lewis Libby Likely Cleared on Leakgate Charges

Friday, Oct. 21, 2005 9:45 a.m. EDT

NY Times: Karl Rove, Lewis Libby Likely Cleared on Leakgate Charges

Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has likely decided not to indict top White House aides Karl Rove and Lewis "Scooter" Libby based on allegations they "outed" CIA employee Valerie Plame, lawyers close to Fitzgerald's Leakgate investigation have told the New York Times.

Instead, the paper said, conflicting accounts given by Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby have been the focus of Mr. Fitzgerald's probe "almost from the start" - raising questions about whether the respected prosecutor continued his investigation after determining that no underlying crime had been committed.

It's not clear whether Fitzgerald believes that Rove and/or Libby had indeed violated the 1982 Intelligence Identities Protection Act, but couldn't prove his case. Or whether he realized early on that the law didn't apply to Ms. Plame, who doesn't qualify as a covert agent because she hadn't served abroad within five years of her "outing."

Instead, the Times said: "Among the charges that Mr. Fitzgerald is considering are perjury, obstruction of justice and false statement" - raising speculation that the Leakgate case may devolve into a Martha Stewart-like prosecution, which drew howls of derision from legal critics.

Stewart was sentenced to jail in 2003 for lying to investigators after the Justice Department abandoned its insider trading case against her for lack of evidence.

Unlike the Stewart case, however, it's hard to see how Fitzgerald could have ever believed that the 1982 law in question had been violated, when a quick check of Ms. Plame's work history would have rendered his investigation moot from the start.

Even the Times noted: "Possible violations under consideration by Mr. Fitzgerald are peripheral to the issue he was appointed in December 2003 to investigate."

In Mr. Rove's case, Fitzgerald's prosecution may rest, not on any false testimony, but instead on Rove's failure to tell the grand jury early on about a conversation he had about Ms. Plame with Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper.

"Mr. Fitzgerald has remained skeptical about the omission," the Times said.

It's still not clear that Rove and Libby would be indicted even if Fitzgerald could prove they gave false testimony to the grand jury.

In 2000, Independent Counsel Robert Ray concluded that then-first lady Hillary Clinton had provided materially false testimony in the Travelgate investigation.

Mr. Ray declined to indict, however - explaining that he could not prove that Mrs. Clinton's false statements were intentional.

-The Gipper

Delay deal...Ron Earle doesnt want a new judge.

"Judge responds

"Let me just say I haven't ever seen that T-shirt, number one. Number two, I haven't bought it. Number three, the last time I contributed to MoveOn that I know of was prior to the November election last year, when they were primarily helping Sen. Kerry," responded the judge.

MoveOn.org denied it was selling any such shirts, and issued a statement that said, "DeGuerin has either bad information or lied in court."

"All we want is a fair trial and a fair tribunal," DeGuerin told reporters outside the courthouse.

Prosecutor Ronnie Earle signaled he intends to contest the request for a new judge.

"What this means is if a judge had contributed to Crime Stoppers that judge could not hear a burglary case," Earle said. "Carried to its extreme, that is what I think this motion means and I think that's absurd."

"We don't live in a country where political party determines the measure of justice," Earle said, adding that he though DeLay could get a fair trial in the state's capital.

It was not clear when the hearing would be held on DeLay's motion to replace Perkins, nor was it clear how much it would lengthen proceedings in the case. The Texas congressman has said he wants a speedy trial.

DeLay appeared relaxed as he sat next to his wife, Christine, in the courtroom for what turned out to be a session of roughly four minutes. Earlier, he had entered the courthouse through a side door to avoid the cameras.

DeLay and two political associates are charged in an alleged scheme to funnel corporate donations to GOP candidates for the Texas Legislature. State law prohibits use of corporate donations to elect or defeat state candidates. All three deny wrongdoing.
    Political from the beginning

The case has had a political cast from the outset. The charges arise from a campaign in which Republicans gained control of the legislature, then used their new majority to force through a redistricting plan that netted the GOP additional seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.

DeLay's indictment has roiled Republican politics in Washington, where he was forced to step aside as the No. 2 House Republican. With an eye on the 2006 elections, Democrats have sought to turn him into a symbol of what they depict as an ethically-challenged Republican majority.

But apart from giving up his leadership post -- as required under GOP rules -- DeLay has been nothing but defiant.

He retains a powerful influence in the House GOP high command, has repeatedly attacked Earle and now seeks to force the removal of the judge, who has donated to the organization that DeLay's lawyer described as antithetical to GOP fortunes.

"I will not let a prosecutor who pursues his political enemies by abusing the law and manufacturing baseless charges wreck our justice system," DeLay said at his news conference.
    Change of venue

Apart from seeking a new judge, the congressman's lawyers are asking to have the case moved out of Austin, one of the state's most liberal areas."

MORE gop criminals pleading guilty:

Two Close to Ex-Governor of Connecticut Plead Guilty
    NEW HAVEN, Oct. 25 - A top aide to former Gov. John G. Rowland and a state contractor whose companies made millions of dollars through his relationships with both men pleaded guilty today to bribery and tax fraud charges. The pleas concluded major elements of a wide-ranging public corruption investigation that once consumed the capital and already has put Mr. Rowland in prison.

"They admitted today to violating the public trust," said Nora R. Dannehy, the assistant United States attorney who led the investigation.

Peter N. Ellef, Mr. Rowland's co-chief of staff from 1997 to 2002, and William A. Tomasso, Mr. Ellef's close friend, whose family's companies won more than $100 million in contracts under Mr. Rowland's administration, offered the guilty pleas more than a year after they were first charged in a much broader indictment that described Mr. Rowland's office as a "racketeering enterprise."

Under the agreement signed today, in addition to reducing the range of charges the men face, prosecutors withdrew criminal charges against Mr. Ellef's son. The son, Peter N. Ellef II, who is 35, had been accused, in part, of using his landscaping company as a conduit for gifts and money from Mr. Tomasso to the older Mr. Ellef and for business tax deductions for personal expenses.
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

the exterminator keeps having problems with his numbers it seems. From the indictment to this:

DeLay Acknowledges Failure to Report Money
    Rep. Tom DeLay has notified House officials that he failed to disclose all contributions to his legal defense fund as required by congressional rules.

The fund is currently paying DeLay's legal bills in a campaign finance investigation in Texas, where DeLay has been indicted, and in a federal investigation of Washington lobbyist Jack Abramoff. The lobbyist arranged foreign travel for DeLay and had his clients pay some of the cost.

DeLay, R-Texas, has denied wrongdoing in both cases.

DeLay wrote House officials that he started an audit and it found that $20,850 contributed in 2000 and 2001 to the defense fund was not reported anywhere.

An additional $17,300 was included in the defense fund's quarterly report but not in DeLay's 2000 annual financial disclosure report — a separate requirement. Other donations were understated as totaling $2,800 when the figure should have been $4,450.

House rules require quarterly reports of donations and expenditures by a lawmaker's legal defense fund. Donations exceeding $250 also must be disclosed on annual financial disclosure reports.

The Texas Republican, who has stepped down as majority leader due to felony indictments in the Texas probe, disclosed and corrected the past reporting mistakes.

The defense fund will report to the House in a few days that it received $318,000 in the third quarter of this year — the best fundraising quarter since it was started in June 2000, according to the trustee, Houston attorney Brent Perry.

On Oct. 13 DeLay wrote the clerk of the House, Jeff Trandahl, that the first inkling of inconsistencies in his disclosures came last February.

"I brought this matter — which I discovered on my own — to the attention of the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct to alert the chairman and ranking member," DeLay said in his letter.

"Upon learning of these accounting irregularities, I immediately requested that the trust undergo a full and complete audit from its June 2000 inception through 2004 to determine if any additional accountancy problems existed with the trust."

Perry, trustee of the Tom DeLay Legal Expense Trust, corrected the record in an Oct. 6 letter to the House ethics committee.

"I sincerely apologize for the oversights that made these amendments necessary," Perry wrote. "Congressman DeLay was not involved in these omissions. No mistakes were found after 2001."

In an interview, Perry said, "It was not an ethical lapse, it was a bookkeeping lapse. I did not review the reports thoroughly enough. The reports were filed under his signature but he relies on me for the reports." {just think if Dennis Kozlowski, Bernie Ebbers and others could make the same claims ; accountability, obviously delay doesn't have any}

In the third-quarter report that soon will be submitted to the House, Perry said $177,000 was donated by individuals in the quarter and an additional $141,000 by political committees, corporations and other entities.

In past years, the fund has paid legal bills in several ethics investigations of DeLay and in a racketeering suit filed by a House Democratic campaign organization. DeLay was admonished by the ethics panel on three occasions last year and the racketeering suit was closed in 2001.

Perry said $250,000 has been paid to lawyers so far in the Texas investigation, but he did not have a total for the Abramoff probe.

DeLay is charged in Texas with money laundering and conspiracy to violate Texas election laws.

Two grand juries have charged that DeLay and two political associates funneled corporate money to Texas legislative candidates — using the national Republican Party as a middleman — in violation of a a state law prohibiting use of corporate funds in state campaigns.

House Republican rules require leaders indicted on felony counts to step aside from their leadership posts.
    Hmmm...maybe we should apply the Sarbanes-Oxley act to delay so that he can be accountable for what he signs off on also.

On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

^^Im puzzled why you think Sarbanes-Oxley is applicable here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    ^^Im puzzled why you think Sarbanes-Oxley is applicable here.
    It's too bad we can't, and make reps accountable for what they sign off on just like CEOs. It's not applicable due to the nature of the law, but something similar should be in place to make our politicians accountable just like CEOs.

More gop chickens coming home to roost...
    Major Republican Donor Indicted in Ohio
    TOLEDO, Ohio -- A coin dealer and major GOP donor at the center of a scandal in Ohio state government was charged Thursday with illegally funneling $45,400 in contributions to President Bush's re-election bid.

Tom Noe was accused in a federal indictment of giving money to 24 friends and associates, who then made the campaign contributions in their own names. In that way, he skirted the $2,000 limit on individual contributions, prosecutors said.

Calls to the White House and Noe's attorneys were not immediately returned.

Noe also is under investigation over an ill-fated $50 million investment in rare coins he managed for the state workers' compensation fund. Noe has acknowledged that up to $13 million is missing, and Ohio's attorney general has accused him of stealing as much as $6 million. But no charges have been filed in that case.

The coin dealer contributed more than $105,000 to Republicans, including Bush and Gov. Bob Taft, during the last campaign.

The Republican National Committee announced in June that Bush was returning $4,000 in contributions from Noe.

An investigation into Noe's coin investments led to ethics charges against Taft for failing to report golf outings and other gifts. The governor pleaded no contest in August and was fined $4,000.

U.S. Attorney Gregory White said prosecutors were negotiating Noe's surrender with his lawyer.
    gop and their culture of corruption.

Democrats Suffering From 'Ethics Vertigo,' Republicans Charge

Democrats Suffering From 'Ethics Vertigo,' Republicans Charge
    By Susan Jones
    CNSNews.com Senior Editor
    October 25, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Former U.S. Rep. Frank Ballance, a North Carolina Democrat, was sentenced to four years in prison on Oct. 12 for conspiring to divert taxpayer money to his friends and family through the charitable organization he founded in 1985.

But almost two weeks later, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee still has not returned the thousands of dollars in "dirty money" that Ballance contributed to the DCCC, the National Republican Congressional Committee wants everyone to know.

The NRCC said based on press reports, it appears that the DCCC has no plans to return the $29,500 that Ballance contributed to its coffers.

And Ballance isn't the DCCC's only "dirty money" contributor. The NRCC noted that third-quarter Federal Election Commission reports show the DCCC has not yet returned $5,000 donated by a Chicago attorney who pled guilty to attempted extortion.

Just last month, the DCCC said it would return contributions from donors who plead guilty but it isn't happening, the NRCC said.

The DCCC is the same group that's urging Democrats to sign an online petition telling House Republican to "return [Rep. Tom] DeLay's dirty money."

Although DeLay has been indicted on conspiracy and money laundering charges, he has not yet been tried or convicted.

"For National Democrats, keeping money from two criminals has required two sets of standards: one for them, and one for everyone else," NRCC Director Carl Forti said.

Forti added that Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) "may want to start a new donor program just for felons."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by jrhvball
    More gop chickens coming home to roost...
    Major Republican Donor Indicted in Ohio

gop and their culture of corruption.
    You still insist its a republican thing

Number of Starr investigation convictions or guilty pleas: 14

Number of Clinton Cabinet members who came under criminal investigation: 5

http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/...ee_monkies.jpg
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-27-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Former Ala. governor indicted on racketeering

Former Ala. governor indicted on racketeering
    U.S. grand jury names Siegelman, three others in ‘widespread’ conspiracy

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Former Gov. Don Siegelman was charged Wednesday in a “widespread racketeering conspiracy” that includes allegations he took a bribe from former hospital executive Richard Scrushy for a key state appointment.

Also indicted on federal charges were two members of Siegelman’s administration and Scrushy, the former head of the HealthSouth medical-services company who was acquitted earlier this year in a massive accounting-fraud case.

Siegelman, who was governor from 1999 to 2003, was charged with racketeering, fraud, bribery, extortion and obstruction of justice.
    Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Siegelman called the long-running grand jury probe a political witch hunt by Republican prosecutors trying to derail his current Democratic campaign for a second term in 2006.

“I never put a dime in my pocket that didn’t belong there,” he said Wednesday.

The former governor was expected to turn himself in later this week.

The indictment alleges that Scrushy, former chief of the HealthSouth medical-services company, made disguised payments totaling $500,000 to Siegelman to get appointed to a key hospital regulatory board.

Siegelman’s former chief of staff, Paul Hamrick, was charged with racketeering for taking bribes from a former lobbyist to steer state contracts to his business interests.

Former state Transportation Director Gary Mack Roberts was charged with fraud for his alleged role in influencing the agency on Siegelman’s behalf.

3 others plead guilty
    Three other people with ties to the Siegelman administration have pleaded guilty to corruption in the alleged scheme — Nick Bailey, a former executive secretary and Cabinet head; Lanny Young, a former lobbyist and landfill developer; and Curtis Kirsch, a Montgomery architect who did work for the state during the Siegelman administration.

Wednesday’s indictment alleged that Siegelman and Hamrick took hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from Young to aid Young’s business interests, including awarding contracts to companies controlled by Young.

Young, Bailey and Kirsch had been scheduled for sentencing Oct. 14 in Montgomery, but that hearing was postponed. No new date has been set.

Related story

Ex-HealthSouth CEO found not guilty

As part of their plea-bargain agreements, the three men’s sentences will be determined in part by their cooperation with federal authorities.

Scrushy was charged with bribery and fraud in an indictment filed May 17 but kept under seal, prosecutors said.

The indictment claims Scrushy made “two disguised payments” totaling $500,000 to Siegelman in exchange for Siegelman appointing him to the state’s Certificate of Need Review Board, which decides on hospital expansions.

Earlier this year, Scrushy was acquitted in a criminal case stemming from a massive accounting fraud at the Birmingham-based HealthSouth chain.
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 10-27-2005 at 06:03 PM.

-The Gipper

^^^and something else: As long as guys like [felon] Ted Kennedy have this to say?

"The fact that the White House and the Senate Republicans were not willing to stand up to the extremists in their midst should be disturbing to all Americans," he said.

I will never support a Democratic candidate. If Kennedy is the "icon" of the Democratic party? You have a way to go before you point "holy" fingers at Republicans.
    Lets get to other icons. How about Robert Byrd and his message of peace [when hes dressed up in his "go to meeting" outfit]. And you guys look down at Republicans for crap like "the Rove" affair?

When friend Senator Joe from Connecticut speaks for Democrats? Ill think about taking the party seriously.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-27-2005 at 06:08 PM.